Hacking Need Help Perfecting My Setup

joimme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to you guys, I have setup a good system lite this:

9.2 SysNand - 10.5 Gateway EmuNand - CTRBootManager: (autoboot) EmuNand - Homebrew Launcher

I also have RXTools 2.5.2 installed.

-Now, I want to play GBA VC Games on my EmuNand. I understand that RXTools can do that(Unlike gateway). How can I add RXTools to my CTRBootManager?
-Is there anything else I should install that will be useful?
-Can you walk me through the process of playing VC Games as CIA on Emunand?

Thanks in advance.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, update Rxtools. That's a shitass old version you got there.
Then:
- edit your boot.cfg and point it to /rxtools/sys/code.bin
- depends on what you need
- Install patched AGB_FIRM (find it on the iso site) to both Sysnand and Emunand, in FBI click L to set destination NAND for that. Then install GBA VC to Sysnand and Emunand with destination SD. Done

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Strangely enough, I installed a gba and a nes cia yesterday on my emunand and it works like a charm. I didn't install it on sysnand.
The setup I use is an o3ds on rx10.5 with linked nands.

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Strangely enough, I installed a gba and a nes cia yesterday on my emunand and it works like a charm. I didn't install it on sysnand.
The setup I use is an o3ds on rx10.5 with linked nands.
That's why you didn't need to install the GBA game to both emu and sysNAND. If your NANDs are linked, you don't need to.

joimme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, update Rxtools. That's a shitass old version you got there.
Then:
- edit your boot.cfg and point it to /rxtools/sys/code.bin
- depends on what you need
- Install patched AGB_FIRM (find it on the iso site) to both Sysnand and Emunand, in FBI click L to set destination NAND for that. Then install GBA VC to Sysnand and Emunand with destination SD. Done

Thanks a lot. I really don't want GBA Games to take up double the space. So I'm OK with playing them on SysNand only. But this brings more problem and I'd be really glad if you could answer them:

- To uptade RXTools, all I have to do is to download new files and replace the existing ones, am I right?
- To install AGB_FIRM on my SysNand(I no longer need to install it to my EmuNand, I suppose), do I need to enter DevMode of RX? Or can I just use BBM.3DS by booting SysNand in Gateway Mode?
And lastly, when Pokemon Yellow gets officially released on E-Shop, can I play that on my EmuNand? (Because I hear it will have multiplayer function as well.)

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot. I really don't want GBA Games to take up double the space. So I'm OK with playing them on SysNand only. But this brings more problem and I'd be really glad if you could answer them:

- To uptade RXTools, all I have to do is to download new files and replace the existing ones, am I right?
- To install AGB_FIRM on my SysNand(I no longer need to install it to my EmuNand, I suppose), do I need to enter DevMode of RX? Or can I just use BBM.3DS by booting SysNand in Gateway Mode?
And lastly, when Pokemon Yellow gets officially released on E-Shop, can I play that on my EmuNand? (Because I hear it will have multiplayer function as well.)
Well when you want to play GBAVC on your SysNAND, you don't need to update rxTools at all. Updating rxTools is not as easy as just downloading new files, they are changing the file structure more often than their underwear. For O3DS theres a python script coming with rxTools that lets you download the newest firmware file. I really have no idea where it goes and what it needs to be called. Maybe you're better off finding a prepackaged version on that iso site or somewhere.
AGB Firm is needed for any VC that was injected. So anything besides the official ten GBA ambassador games. You need signature patches disabled in Sysnand to install that, so just like devmode in rx yes.
Pokemon yellow is a GB game, I think that should run by itself on EmuNAND without any patches or something

Last edited by wurstpistole,

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Well when you want to play VC on your SysNAND, you don't need to update rxTools at all. Updating rxTools is not as easy as just downloading new files, they are changing the file structure more often than their underwear. For O3DS theres a python script coming with rxTools that lets you download the newest firmware file. I really have no idea where it goes and what it needs to be called. Maybe you're better off finding a prepackaged version on that iso site or somewhere.
AGB Firm is needed for any VC that was injected. So anything besides the official ten GBA ambassador games. You need signature patches disabled in Sysnand to install that, so just like devmode in rx yes.
Pokemon yellow is a GB game, I think that should run by itself on EmuNAND without any patches or something
I thought AGB was just for GBA games. Because when you patch GBA games, you replace the AGB firm, but not for other patched VC games.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought AGB was just for GBA games. Because when you patch GBA games, you replace the AGB firm, but not for other patched VC games.
Yeah its only for GBA VC. Reason being that the 3DS basically has a whole GBA integrated and reboots into the GBA firmware when playing VC, thus natively playing the GBA game. Other VC are emulated.

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its only for GBA VC. Reason being that the 3DS basically has a whole GBA integrated and reboots into the GBA firmware when playing VC, thus natively playing the GBA game. Other VC are emulated.
I always wonder what would happen if they just emulated GBA games. Maybe we would have better GBA emulation for RetroArch and mGBA.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always wonder what would happen if they just emulated GBA games. Maybe we would have better GBA emulation for RetroArch and mGBA.
RetroArch GPSP is good enough. Only has problems with some titles, like mario superstar saga and mario advance 4. They freeze randomly and there's zero you can do about it. Other than that, everything runs fullspeed.

joimme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RetroArch GPSP is good enough. Only has problems with some titles, like mario superstar saga and mario advance 4. They freeze randomly and there's zero you can do about it. Other than that, everything runs fullspeed.
Thanks again. So as I understand, playing GBA games are a tedious process. Maybe I'm better off with an emulator. Which is the best one in your opinion? (I can have multiple emulators for different platforms if it's gonna be more stable.)

Right now, I only have mGBA that came with the HBL Starter kit. Is it good enough? And how do I link these Homebrews from my CTRBootManager?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again. So as I understand, playing GBA games are a tedious process. Maybe I'm better off with an emulator. Which is the best one in your opinion? (I can have multiple emulators for different platforms if it's gonna be more stable.)

Right now, I only have mGBA that came with the HBL Starter kit. Is it good enough? And how do I link these Homebrews from my CTRBootManager?
Playing gba games is not a tedious process it's simple install agb_firm install GBA game to sysnand install GBA game to emunand it's as simple as that and takes like a minute to set up.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

GBA emulation is crap on O3DS. I've never used 2.5 rxtools but if it has FBI injection then just do that and install the patched AGB firm to sysnand (destination nand), then install your GBA cia to sysnand (destination SD). Then you can play the GBA game whenever you're in RX mode sysnand.

joimme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GBA emulation is crap on O3DS. I've never used 2.5 rxtools but if it has FBI injection then just do that and install the patched AGB firm to sysnand (destination nand), then install your GBA cia to sysnand (destination SD). Then you can play the GBA game whenever you're in RX mode sysnand.

Do I have to install both games and patched AGB while in the RX DEVMODE?
Also won't RXTools automatically boot me into EmuNand when chosen from CTRBootManager? How can I boot into sysNand RX Tools via CTR?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do I have to install both games and patched AGB while in the RX DEVMODE?
Also won't RXTools automatically boot me into EmuNand when chosen from CTRBootManager? How can I boot into sysNand RX Tools via CTR?
I dont know if it needs devmode or just regular rx sysnand is enough but whatever lets you install cias will do.

I believe on 2.5 you need to hold R at the boot screen to enter the settings. It's L on the current version but I'm sure it used to be R.

Reactions: joimme

joimme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know if it needs devmode or just regular rx sysnand is enough but whatever lets you install cias will do.

I believe on 2.5 you need to hold R at the boot screen to enter the settings. It's L on the current version but I'm sure it used to be R.
Thanks, I wish emulation was better, though.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your best bet is to head to the tutorial section and follow a step by step.
Yes or just download the latest nightly then unzip the package go into the realises folder open md.file in your web browser and it gives you very detailed instructions how to update your version of rxTools it's easy and all you need to do is basically delete some files from old rxTools and add the new ones from the download

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end