Need help moving Monster Hunter Tri file

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Trike, May 25, 2010.

May 25, 2010
  1. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    My brother and I played Monster Hunter Tri on the same Wii, but now he got his own. I tried using the Savegame Manager, but the savegame files are not the standard BIN files. He got the new Black Wii, and doesn't want to mod it. Is there anyway I can transfer the save still?

2. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    no not without softmodding it

3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    use pussieloader if the game wont copy with the system menu's data management

4. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    The game wouldn't copy normally through data management. I got it on the SD Card now, but it won't copy onto his Wii. It still says that the file cannot be moved or copied. I can still click the buttons thanks to pussieloader, and it looks like it is copying. But when it is done it says that it cannot be copied.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    did you use it online at all?

6. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    One hunter on the save has, and we plan to use online.

7. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Note that I've never tried pussieloader, but the only way I was ever able to move a MH3 file was with Savegame Manager GX, which requires a softmod. :/

8. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Pussieloader is a temporary RAM only softmod, for the pussies who dont want to really softmod.

Usefull for just such an occasion.

Has your brother also played the game already on his Wii ??

9. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    He has. Kind of. It wouldn't let us transfer over any saves unless he played games on the Wii. So he just popped in Monster Hunter Tri, and then deleted the save it made. He is willing to softmod it briefly now though, because he doesn't want to lose 60 hours worth of gameplay. It is on 4.2U. Still, an alternative would be good.

His actual file in the game hasn't gone online yet, so if I get to transfer it and he goes online will it be okay? Neither of us want to get banned, obviously.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Oh and giantpune, when I tried pussieloader I got it to work every time on the 4.2U black Wii. I thought you might be interested in that.

10. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think you need the to play the game and then keep the save game file on the destination Wii, and then essentially replace it with the one you really want to transfer. [​IMG]

No idea about the Net and getting banned though.

Other alternative, swap Wii's =)

11. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    Hmm, I will try that tomorrow. If not I am gonna have to briefly softmod it. Getting a new Wii would be sweet, but I have around the same amount of time in the game that he does!

Edit: Tried it. It won't let me even attempt to copy the file if I already have a save.

12. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    I'm not sure if this will work, but I'm going to try recompiling Savegame GX without an IOS reload, so that a softmod might not be necessary. If the Wii is identified as the System Menu, shouldn't it be able to extract and install saves just fine?

Edit: Meh, my recompiled SGX crashes when it tries to create GUI elements for some reason, when run from bannerbomb(no such crash if I run it from the HBC). If it didn't crash, I think we might have a holy grail for moving saves that can't be copied with the Wii Menu..

13. Trike
    OP

Newcomer Trike Newbie

United States
    I just ended up briefly softmodding his Wii and then moving the save using Savegame Manager. No issues online so far, so I think it is fine.

But thanks for testing that out daxtsu! That would be awesome if you could get it to work. Could save many people some trouble. If something happens to someone's Wii they would lose all of their "protected" saves.

14. T-Rex

Newcomer T-Rex Advanced Member

Brazil
    Use the Startpatch (or Savegame Installer and Extractor or Savegame Manager GX), but it's need Homebrew Channel to execute the app.

15. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    After further research, it seems as if you need NAND permissions as a minimum, which means you need a very minimal softmod(patched IOS 36/TBR), which then would let you run Savegame Manager MOD by Arikado(because GX crashes with some sort of libguiwii problem, something about GUI parent elements, and I can't be bothered to fix it). The other option would be to ES_Identify as the game(think Savegame Extractor by Waninkoko from 2008, but I don't know if that program reloads IOS to 249, or needs NAND permissions[no source, no way of telling]), and then do your save business.

Also on a side note: I saw that DOP-Mii has preliminary code to do savegame extraction/installation, but was last updated over a month ago. I wonder if it's been finished yet?

Input from more knowledgable persons such as Pune or WiiPower would be appreciated.