Gaming Need help making a static IP?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Static IP's are IP's that stay the same, right? My IP keeps changing and my friends always need my new IP for my Minecraft Server.

How do I create a static IP?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Who's your provider? Mine is Brighthouse and it only changes once every six months or so...
But as Prowler said, you will have to call your ISP. Static IP's cost extra.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, never mind then. I have AT&T.

I'm only 14, my mom won't pay extra for a static ip.

But it's changed 3 times in the past week or two.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I fyou really are getting sick of giving your friends a new IP every few days, then try having them all install and use Logmein Hamachi.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.no-ip.com/

free and I've been using it for my mc server and my vent server for a few years now. Every 3 months (I think) they email you asking if you're still using the domain. If you don't click the link to re-register it within 2 weeks they deactivate the domain, though you could probably just register it back on your own. If you pay, you get the domain for the duration of your payment, plus some other things like a range of email addresses and some other stuff. (I just use the free one).

Can run it as a startup program or install it as a service. Better to install it as a service.

(You want the No-IP Free link aat the bottom left of the main page.)

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Krestent said:
I fyou really are getting sick of giving your friends a new IP every few days, then try having them all install and use Logmein Hamachi.
A simpler and much more efficient solution would indeed just be setting up a dynamic DNS as plasma dragon007 suggests.

All you need to do when you get a new IP from your ISP is to redirect the static DNS to your new IP.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mazor said:
Krestent said:
A simpler and much more efficient solution would indeed just be setting up a dynamic DNS as plasma dragon007 suggests.

All you need to do when you get a new IP from your ISP is to redirect the static DNS to your new IP.

And the great thing about the Dynamic Update Client (DUC) they provide is that it takes care of all of that for you. The most maintenance I've run on my server for the past while is restoring backups when it gets corrupted (when I lose power or my pc crashes, which are both rare) and clicking the "Yes, I am still using this domain" email.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
http://www.no-ip.com/

free and I've been using it for my mc server and my vent server for a few years now. Every 3 months (I think) they email you asking if you're still using the domain. If you don't click the link to re-register it within 2 weeks they deactivate the domain, though you could probably just register it back on your own. If you pay, you get the domain for the duration of your payment, plus some other things like a range of email addresses and some other stuff. (I just use the free one).

Can run it as a startup program or install it as a service. Better to install it as a service.

(You want the No-IP Free link aat the bottom left of the main page.)
I stand corrected about that then...
The reason I don't use something like that is because I'm running my server off a command-line Linux box.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krestent said:
I stand corrected about that then...
The reason I don't use something like that is because I'm running my server off a command-line Linux box.

There's a command line linux version of the no-ip duc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1