Need Help Indentifying Religion...

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically Christian since Jesus discouraged organized churches (I think) but I know for sure he discouraged chants and traditions.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Technically Christian since Jesus discouraged organized churches (I think) but I know for sure he discouraged chants and traditions.
He encouraged the Church because it is a place to worship God. However, the Pharisees were corrupt and were using the Church for their own gain. People also set up markets just outside the temple so they could make money off of it.

Neither organized religion or the Church is bad, but bad people used it in ways it wasn't intended.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He encouraged the Church because it is a place to worship God. However, the Pharisees were corrupt and were using the Church for their own gain. People also set up markets just outside the temple so they could make money off of it.

Neither organized religion or the Church is bad, but bad people used it in ways it wasn't intended.

Such as televangelists? :P

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Such as televangelists? :P
Actually that's not really far off. Of course the Pharisees did much worse things.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
What is the religion called where you believe In god and Jesus but dislike organized church or religion? I need to know...
Protestant, perhaps? Basically, you're a Christian and have faith in Jesus, but are against the beliefs and acts of the Church. I don't know about the 'dislike religion' part, though...
Lol, that's not at all like protestants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBDn5PiL00

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What is the religion called where you believe In god and Jesus but dislike organized church or religion? I need to know...
Protestant, perhaps? Basically, you're a Christian and have faith in Jesus, but are against the beliefs and acts of the Church. I don't know about the 'dislike religion' part, though...
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBDn5PiL00*
mkay. Instead of bashing or ridiculing wikipedia, It'd be more convincing to at least give some back information (which isn't given in your post, despite denying what is written on wikipedia). I'd be glad to hear your opinion knowledge on protestants.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
mkay. Instead of bashing or ridiculing wikipedia, It'd be more convincing to at least give some back information (which isn't given in your post, despite denying what is written on wikipedia). I'd be glad to hear your opinion knowledge on protestants.
Okay, protestants are a very wide group. Christianity basically has two main categories: Roman Catholic and Protestant. You've probably heard Baptist, Nazarene, Methodist, and such. They are all Protestant denominations. While the denominations have different views on certain aspects, they do share common differences with Roman Catholics. Protestants do not believe that you need to speak to confess your sins through a priest, but rather that God will listen to anybody and you don't have to be someone special.

Basically everytime you see Christianity in the media, it's from the Roman Catholic view. Most churches don't have confession booths, they don't have priests (but rather pastors), you don't have to pay penance for sins, people don't wear robes, etc.

PS: I am a Protestant. Nazarene to be specific.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, protestants are a very wide group. Christianity basically has two main categories: Roman Catholic and Protestant. You've probably heard Baptist, Nazarene, Methodist, and such. They are all Protestant denominations. While the denominations have different views on certain aspects, they do share common differences with Roman Catholics. Protestants do not believe that you need to speak to confess your sins through a priest, but rather that God will listen to anybody and you don't have to be someone special.

Basically everytime you see Christianity in the media, it's from the Roman Catholic view. Most churches don't have confession booths, they don't have priests (but rather pastors), you don't have to pay penance for sins, people don't wear robes, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what's written on the Wikipedia article?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what's written on the Wikipedia article?
I don't know. I was referring to what s4mid4re said. Since he linked to Wikipedia, I assumed that is where he got his info.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Actually there are three major Christian groups. The Roman Catholic, the Protestant, and the Eastern Orthodox. The protestants have many, many groups that have split off from the Catholics or other protestant groups over time. The Roman Catholics are made up of several different rites, that is, groups with slightly differing ways of worship but identical doctrine. The Orthadox church has many groups under it as well, like Russian and Ukrainian Orthadox. There's a LOT of Christian subtypes for you to be looking through.

However as they're all organizations, I doubt any of them oppose organized religion.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
its not a group its term - Agnostic.
Definition of Agnostic -
1. a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is sceptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or non-committal about something.

So it is not Agnostic. Someone who believes in God and Christ but not organised religion would still be classed as Christian but could also be classed as Classical Deists although even this term doesn't quite fit as deists tend to believe in one god/creator but disregard Christ as myth/fables.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
its not a group its term - Agnostic.
Agnostic is more like atheism, except they say it's possible that there is a God, but it can't be proven. Basically they don't believe in anything, lol.

Technically, its the atheists that don't believe in anything, atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power. The agnostics don't know what to believe in, they are skeptics; I would say they are undecided on whether to belief in a creator(s) or not believe in anything at all, they are people sitting on the fence about creation.

And addressing the topic: While I'm certainly no theology expert, I would say there isn't really any christian religion like that, if there are people like that they probably won't be in an organised religion anyways. It's like a Anarchist party establishing a large government: Ironic and unlikely. I would say disliking the church and organised religion is more of a personal feeling, I don't think it'd be likely to be part of any doctrine; Which organised religion would encourage its followers to hate itself?

But like I said, I'm not a theology expert, that's just my conjecture. Who knows, there might really be some anti-organised religion organised religions like that out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :angry: ¡¡¡¡¡ oooooooooooooooooooooooN