Need help finding text routine for nds game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by matthewn4444, Jul 30, 2011.

1. matthewn4444
    OP

Member matthewn4444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey, I am trying to learn variable width font as a side project and I came to the point where I need to learn how to find the text routine. I am currently learning the basics of arm asm so that I can pick up the commands in the disassembler. I followed this tutorial http://archive.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/docs/text/, to get the basics of reverse engineering the asm to find the text routine however that is for nes. I tried to apply some of the steps to nds but no$gba cannot add breakpoints when memory is accessed (eg. if #022000 was accessed the game would pause at a breakpoint).

I am trying to find the routine in 7th dragon. I load new game and the first few characters that popup are "????????????" (first 3 character is 82BB 82EA 82CD) and I located the text (after dumping the ram with DeSmuME) at 0x24CBD0 (in the dump.bin) but with ram offset (0x02000000) it's 0x224CBD0 when looking at the game's ram. From the tutorial the next thing to do was to add a breakpoint in ram, however none of the emulators (for nds like no$gba) would allow that, only breakpoints for the asm code so I cannot find out where in the code it is accessing that address of memory so i can track it to find the routine.

So how does one find the text routine from here because I am stuck.

2. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
    you can put memory breakpoint with nogba...

3. matthewn4444
    OP

Member matthewn4444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Edit: Sorry I found it.

Are there any tutorials to find the text routine for a nds game?

4. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France