Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Klightx15, Oct 16, 2012.

Oct 16, 2012

Need Help Deciding by Klightx15 at 5:09 PM (741 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Klightx15
    OP

Member Klightx15 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So im buying 2 flashcards for myself and my girlfriend, I used to have an R4 but i sold it a long time ago with a DS Lite. Now im trying to decide between an Acekard or an R4. Which one is the most hassle free, easy to maintain, and has good compatibility?

2. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    I've been using my Acrekard 2i for almost 2 years now and it still works perfectly. Most new games that I've been interested in have worked on it. The only issue I know of is the contact problem which is solvable with the paper trick.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It depends on what you want to use it on. If you are using it on a DS Lite, it doesn't really matter and I'd just get an R4 because it receives more frequent compatibility updates. If you plan on using it on a DSi or 3DS, I recommend the R4i Gold 3DS (http://r4ids.cn/) since it receives more frequent firmware updates and the Acekard 2i appears to be permanently blocked on the latest 3DS software. A regular R4 does not work on the DSi or 3DS.

If you're willing to spend more money, the Supercard DSTWO is likely your best option, but I'd just get the R4i Gold 3DS.

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Of your options i would go with an r4. More specifically an R4 gold.

5. Klightx15
    OP

United States
    thanks for the tips guys! yeah i was leaning more towards the r4. i have a dsi and my gf has a ds lite. the site that you linked shows the r4i gold but does not sell it.. what is a trustful safe site i can buy it at?

is this legit? http://www.dwtechz.com/r4igold-revolution-dsi-card-141-support-p-216.html

6. Dynastid

Newcomer Dynastid Member

United States
    It seems legitimate, but you can't always tell until you've already purchased it. That's why it's best to find a place with a return policy. It looks awfully cheap, but shipping probably isn't free.

I'm new to DS Homebrew, but I have a couple cheap flashcards. One is a DS X-treme, which is horribly outdated (otherwise good), and the other is an R4i SDHC Dual-Core (white). I personally have problems with the R4 team since they've discontinued firmware updates for the flash card I have (it's not the new version of the same card), and they constantly release new cards instead of continuing to release firmware upgrades. Their cards can be cheap, but be careful of that--I think they're more money-grubby than they seem, but I'm new to all of this, so I could be wrong. I'm getting an Acekard 2i for 3DS for that reason. It seems to have better reviews and a larger game compatibility list, as far as I know. But it's completely your choice, and I don't want to sway your decision in any way, especially if you've already decided.

7. Frogman

Member Frogman This could be you!

Australia
    Out of the ones you have suggested, I would recommend the Acekard 2i. Although previously had a Acekard 2i they are fantastic I would recommended the Supercard DS2 it works great for me and you get updates the quickest.

EDIT- Also, use shoptemp to find the best and cheapest price.

8. Klightx15
    OP

United States
    well it says its located in the US and i found that site through Shoptemp.

9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Acekard is slow on updates and they have alot of clones now.

10. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I would suggest buying a Supercard DSTWO.