Need help choosing a laptop.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by thejellydude, Oct 18, 2008.

Oct 18, 2008
  1. thejellydude
    OP

Member thejellydude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been looking at this guy:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218012519873
    but the 2.26 GHz processor and the weird screen resolution make a bit on the weary side.

I was thinking about this too:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220343
    But it's a hit to the GPU.

Now, I've never owned a decent gaming fig of my own, and as such have never really gotten a feel for GPUs. I don't think I'm gonna be running anything as heavy as Crysis, but thing more along the lines of Half-Life two and Spore. If any one has suggestions between the two, or another third option, it'd be most appreciated. (As a side note, I'm trying to keep the price $1500 or lower. Stingy, I know, but It's all I have)

2. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    that res isnt weird its ur standard 16:9 widescreen

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Mutters nasty things about site requiring javascript.

Back on topic. Generally if you have a laptop costing anything near sensible money it is going to be useless when it comes to performance (assuming stuff like this does not become worthwhile http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/e...box1/index.html )

2 things though
    Screen res. I agree it is not the highest but it is standard and you always add a monitor to it.

Those graphics chips are anything but low end and, especially for laptops. Spore runs on far worse hardware and half life two is fairly old these days.

Also for $1500 you could probably pull of a cheap laptop (or one of those new fangled small ones people are on about) and a pretty decent games machine.

4. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    So it's sounding like the either one would be fine.
    As for the weird screen resolution, I was referring to it being a 15.6" 1366 x 768. Just never seen something like that.

But overall, which leads to a better computer? Does the 300 MHz make a visible difference in performance? Or does someone have a site where I can view the benchmarks of the two processors, and the two video cards?

5. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
  6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    SPORE is pretty naff anyhow! ....... as it crashes all the time even on a really good spec machine! ... like quite a lot of EA games [​IMG]

EA's SIMS2 stutters and freezes and crashes on a high spec machine when it has DUAL core and no ones even bothered to try fix it .... and yes I and many others have tried changing it to single core affinity settings and it still freezes and crashes [​IMG]

other games by other developers work fine why cant EA get it right??

7. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    I like the laptop posted by Ferrariman, but I was wondering how good is Gateway? I know Asus had free 2 year labor & parts warranty, and 1 year accidental protection. Does Gateway have anything like that?

8. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i would wait till black friday

you will see some great deals then

do u really want a gaming laptop or a gaming machine?

9. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I think all it has is a one year warranty.

10. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Buy an Asus A8 or similar series laptop, best bang for your buck to be quite honest. For 1500 dollars you can get machines that out perform other generic brands like Dell, HP, Gateway etc with better specs and far nicer reliability. I am thinking of getting an A8J or one of the new 13 inch Apple MacBook laptops as a replacement for my Acer which is slowly buggering out on me.

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop if I wanted to use it for any 3d gaming. The CPU, graphics card and hard drive are generally lacking alot of features compared to an equivalent desktop pc, they do this to reduce cost and to save battery power.

Unless you really need a laptop, I'd suggest taking a look at some desktop pcs. For the price you want to spend on a laptop, could get you a kickass pc.

12. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    Actually, my brother just ordered a gaming desktop, so I'll be able to mooch that if I have to. I just go to a lot of LAN parties and, and this would be A LOT more convenient than lugging my rig everywhere.

I'm really stuck between the Gateway and the Asus though... The Gateway is a little better, but the Asus comes with a really nice free warranty...
    Also, thanks to everyone that gave me a hand with this.

13. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
  14. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    Dr.Kupo, I said I wanted a GAMING computer UNDER 1500. Don't go around fanboying Apple, because personally, I think their products suck.

15. DrKupo

United States
    You have to pay to get a quality product.

The MBP is a gaming machine. Slap Windows on it and fire up crysis.

16. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    Sorry for leaving out the "O" in your name. Also, I don't deny that the MAC is nice. But it is NOT for a person wanting the most bang for their buck. It can play games, but is in no way a "gaming" laptop. I'd rather save my money and buy a souped-up Sager for that price.

17. DrKupo

United States
    What makes a laptop a gaming laptop, in that case? It has the best mobile graphics card in it, it has a fast proc, it looks very nice physically...

18. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    Personally, I hate the MAC's design. But that's just me. The glass vs. matte screen issue is a big deal for some gamers. Also, since when is the 9600 "the best mobile graphics card". There are Sagers running two 1 Gig. 9800GTX's in SLI. I'd rather not bog this topic down with Mac vs. PC (PC as in Windows based operating system) so I'll just think what I think, and you can think what you think.

19. DrKupo

United States
    it's the best MOBILE graphics card. those are two desktop cards.

20. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Not true, GeForce 9800M GTX is the best mobile graphics card from NVIDIA.