Need help buying new handheld console

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Dudex199999, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Dudex199999
    OP

Dudex199999 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2013
    Iceland
    So i've decided to buy myself a little handheld console to pass some time at work.
    I've been interested more in Nintendo rather than Sony.
    I have a budget of 50$ and am mainly interested in the gameboy advance and sp and aswell maybe the original ds. I had already 4 DS lites (don't ask why or how) and i never really enjoyed playing it but no because of the game but because of the console, i didn't like or enjoy the design and other things.
    I've seen lots of used gameboys and DS (original) in eBay but i'm not really sure which console though.
    The gameboy advance is the oldest but seems nice, the badside is that it can play only gba games, has no backlight or frontlight and i don't have any flashcard for it (which i do for the ds) so getting games would be a pain but i really liked the design, the gameboy advance sp seems also nice has backlight but the design and game problem and the ds looks nice aswell, liked the design, can play both games, i have flashcard, has backlight but i feel it will be the same gameplay as the DS lite and will be a waste of problem.
    Im pretty almost all of you guys didn't really understand this "problem" mainly because it's written horribly (sorry im tired) and the problem is dumb but thanks for any help

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Get a PSP.

Has some very lovely homebrew developed for it
    A sweet little emulation device- SNES, Mega Drive, GBA, Neo Geo, CPS1, ScummVM, GBC, GBA, NGPC, turbogrpahix- so no need to purchase gaems or flashcarts
    Plays majority of PSX gaems
    Has a decent screen, it's no OLED or LED but it does a job especially by 2000s standards

Or just man up and get a Neo Geo Pocket Colour.

Satangel, BORTZ and king_leo like this.
  3. Dudex199999
    OP

Dudex199999 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2013
    Iceland
    My sister had a PSP, never getting close to it.
    Thanks anyways

4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The GBA (and GBA SP) can also play original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, in addition to GBA games. It was the GB Micro that only played GBA games (though many people really love the Micro despite this).

5. Katana

Katana Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    United States
    $50 and no PSP/DS Lite is tough.

I guess you can find a pawn shop and search for a cheap DS, and get the GBA with the DS since it plays GBA games anyway. You could also try searching for a cheap Android phone that plays GBA games well via emulation (like the Samsung Galaxy Y) and get a bluetooth Moga controller with a built-in phone holder.

6. Dudex199999
    OP

Dudex199999 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2013
    Iceland
    Thanks for the answer, i think im going to the the original ds.
    Is there such a big difference between the lite and original in gameplay? is playing the gameboy funner if i already played the ds?
    Thanks

7. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Qu├ębec
    If you didn't like the feel of the lite, I have a hard time imagining how the phat will give you a better feeling, because the lite is better in almost every way, unless you had issue in how the corners pressured against your palm, or the smaller Dpad.

If I get your post, you like the idea of a handheld but you hate clamshell, you also want a nice backlit lcd and don't want to spend more than 50$, and for that budget you want to be able to load tons of games from the "scene". That's pretty much the definition of a psp.

some other contender could be
    GBA micro: good luck finding one in your price range, and flashcart are getting harder to find as days passes by
    2DS : out of your price range
    android device: you probably already have one
    ps vita: pricey and hacking scene in turmoil

If the problem is because you like to cup your hand around the controller or to crimp it:
    you can find handle attachment for psp's
    I believe I saw a tutorial on how to attach a smart phone on a ds3 controller with a bunch of rubber bands, which could be a cheap solution if you already own both, otherwise dedicated solutions are available on the web.
    A backlit moded gba
    Nvidia shield (gen 1)
    some chinese android tablet with dedicated controls (jxd)

games makes the gameplay, not the console, the rest is all in your mind

Though, Ill say that in a lot of ds games, the implementation of the touchscreen is actually distracting from the game itself, and that games that relies mostly on touchscreen interaction felt more casual and less immersive than games i played on earlier Nintendo handheld.
    Whether you play them on the phat or on the lite this won't change.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you have $50, don't want a PSP and don't want a DS/Lite/i, your only options are open source handhelds. I would recommend a CAANOO or a Wiz, but those are more expensive, so consider a Dingoo instead.

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Do you have a DSTwo Supercard? It may not be a new handheld, but it has plenty of homebrew, even GBA and SNES emulation, and can run standard DS homebrew. I'd still recommend a PSP over it for homebrew, but you already dismissed that idea. Outside of using a DS or PSP for a homebrew device, you won't get much that's very effective for $50.

10. [MLG]xX420NoScopeBlazeXx

[MLG]xX420NoScopeBlazeXx Member

Banned
    Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    You should just save that $50 and not get anything. You already have DS lite and aren't interested in PSP. So what's left? A original DS is pointless cause a DS lite can do everything a DS can except play GBA games. Getting a GBA or older system is pointless cause you can just emulate them near flawlessly. Not only that, you can emulate them on a low-end Android or jailbroken iOS device, so portability is not even an advantage. Save your money. $50 is not going to get you anything nice.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Emulation on the DS leaves a lot to be desired (partially due to the low specs, partially due to the screen which is simply too small) and he already said that he did not enjoy the form factor of the DS, so yeah.

12. Dudex199999
    OP

Dudex199999 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2013
    Iceland

Thanks for everyones help!
    So from what i understood now, most recommend getting a psp, im not much a fan of the psp and my sister has one she barely uses so there's no point in getting another one or maybe no console at all. To say the truth i personally believe ill enjoy more of a GBA SP or gameboy advance even if there is no point in getting them when i can play with my sisters psp or get a ds which can play both ds and gba games. i will never play gba games with a ds. i don't want another ds lite after having so many, even though i really enjoyed downloading any game i wanted to my flashcard... maybe i should get a DS? im confused again...
    Well thanks anyways!

13. eggmanfat120

eggmanfat120 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    Canada
    Have you heard of a sega game gear? easy 25 buck handheld there. The only thing is to make sure the screen or sound isn't broken if you ever buy one.