Hacking Need desperate help

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked some of these in the other topic, but I only got confused further.

Anyway, I'm running on 3.3U (the first one). All I want to do is play some backups such as Tastunoko vs Capcom, No More Heroes, etc. I already have the Homebrew Channel installed...but I'm a little paranoid about going any further than that. I don't want to install anything that's permanently un-fixable/removable in my Wii. Could I please just have these questions cleared out for me once and for all? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

1) The latest loader is Gamma, right? I have the folder with it, as well as a cIOS installer. Is that what I need to play backups, and is it the best thing to use in terms of softmods?

2) Do I really need to install Starfall and downgrade to 2.2? Or will it be impossible to play backups without them?

3) What is this IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad and cIOS fix I'm hearing about? What do I need them for?

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you fear you will BRICK your Wii I would advise you not to do it.
Read until you become comfortable about what you are doing then just do it, if you have any problems we are here to help those who help themselves.
Start with reading Here
It's has a treasure trove of goodies for people who are new to this.
EOC Guide is what I first started with.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off That is the latest loader.

Second No you don't absolutely have to...... It just adds an extra level of security to recover if you mistakenly install an update from another region. It also adds a bypass of disk updates to prevent this.
smile.gif
And no you would only have to downgrade to 3.2. I would very much recomend it as it does indeed add quite a bit of extra security from banner bricks and such.......

thirdly that wad installs IOS 16 which is a leaked IOS from nintendo's service centers. with it in place you can use the modified Wad manager that uses IOS 16 to install a patch (cIOS Fix) to fix the wad installing blocks that nintendo added to the newer firmwares. This is quite nice if you want your system to be able to have any VC games and custom channels installed through the regular wad manager app. No this is not absolutely required but again very much recomended.

If you are worried about a brick just let me say that as long as you follow the downgrade guide to a t you will be just fine. I've upgraded and downgraded at least twice on my wii and more times on a few friends.......... It's not all that risky as long as you can follow directions.
wink.gif

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Guardian said:
First off That is the latest loader.

Second No you don't absolutely have to...... It just adds an extra level of security to recover if you mistakenly install an update from another region. It also adds a bypass of disk updates to prevent this.
smile.gif
And no you would only have to downgrade to 3.2. I would very much recomend it as it does indeed add quite a bit of extra security from banner bricks and such.......

thirdly that wad installs IOS 16 which is a leaked IOS from nintendo's service centers. with it in place you can use the modified Wad manager that uses IOS 16 to install a patch (cIOS Fix) to fix the wad installing blocks that nintendo added to the newer firmwares. This is quite nice if you want your system to be able to have any VC games and custom channels installed through the regular wad manager app. No this is not absolutely required but again very much recomended.

If you are worried about a brick just let me say that as long as you follow the downgrade guide to a t you will be just fine. I've upgraded and downgraded at least twice on my wii and more times on a few friends.......... It's not all that risky as long as you can follow directions.
wink.gif

Oops, I meant 3.2. Just for backups though is it really necessary to use 3.2? Also, can you tell me more about banner bricks? And also, why would I need that cIOS fix to install wads? I already have some wads installed just fine.

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to play your region backup you don't have to downgrade. But But if you plan on playing from any region games. You need STARFALL and that only works on 3.2.
That why 3.2 is the best level to be at. Mostly all Brick protect has been set around this frameware version.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I still don't get why I need the cIOS fix at all...it's for installing wads on newer firmwares, right? But if we're downgrading to 3.2, then what's the point?

And a little in-depth information about IOSs would be great. Can multiple IOSs at a time be installed or only one?

D

Deleted User

cios fix installs the cIOS.

Dude, I don't really think you should know why. You should know HOW!!
smile.gif

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, see, that's exactly it. If I don't know WHY I'm doing the installations, in the future when Nintendo releases more firmware updates, people are gonna be even MORE confused and wondering what to do. Knowing the reasons behind what you're doing gives you a better understanding of what will need to be done in the future.

D

Deleted User

Okay fine

cIOS_fix installs a cIOS, an older one.

cIOS Installer updates the cIOS you installed so it would be cIOS36 rev07.

on a side note:
QUOTE said:
when Nintendo releases more firmware updates, people are gonna be even MORE confused and wondering what to do

Developers will know and will do a bypass. So stop wondering and start DOING!

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So multiple IOSs and cIOSs can be installed then, right? Can they be removed, too?

And also in the sticky, it said
"cIOS Installers and the like are permitted, as long as no one bundles one with IOS/cIOS. "

Wouldn't the cIOS installer have the cIOS? I'm a bit confused.

And Starfall changes system files, right? Can I ever put the files back to normal in case something happens?

D

Deleted User

You're one fucking persistent paranoid bitch, aren't you?

No, you can't remove IOS, but you can to cIOS (Unless you're talking about CIOSCORP).

Installers either:
1)Modifies the IOS that you are instructed to put into the WAD folder
2)Get's the cIOS from internet

To revert the installation of Starfall, you just remove the hacks

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you just want to load copies and don't install WADs or whatever. Just stick to 3.3 and install the cIOS and put the Gamma or Softchip launcher in your SD card.

Done. Simple. Only modification would be the addition of the cIOS which you can easily remove.

D

Deleted User

Downgrading is recommended. Now, it's not just Starfall, it's:

1)Softmii
2)Preloader
3)Custom Health Screen
4)Dig's CSM
5)??

>__>

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I've already installed WADs on 3.3...o.o Was I not supposed to? And can I sitll use the gamma loader with other region games on 3.3?

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tranquil said:
But I've already installed WADs on 3.3...o.o Was I not supposed to? And can I sitll use the gamma loader with other region games on 3.3?
Nah you can. One of the big reasons people go down to 3.2, is so they can install WADs and use Starfall to unbrick themselves if they ever installed bad WAD.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated you don't have to downgrade at all it's mainly for your own safety. If you are this paranoid about it how did you get the damn courage to install the hbc?

D

Deleted User

Yeah, I agreee with Hells Guardian.

What's up with the loads of paranoid bitches these days?

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in my 1st post:
If you fear you will BRICK your Wii I would advise you not to do it.
Read until you become comfortable about what you are doing then just do it, if you have any problems we are here to help those who help themselves.
But you didn't listen and me peeps got mad
mad.gif
Now do as we said and Start with reading Here
It's has a treasure trove of goodies for people who are new to this.
EOC Guide is what I first started with.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not paranoid, I just want to be aware of what I'm doing

I'm not worried about bricking my Wii since I'm not installing any more wads. So can I just run the loader on 3.3 and forget about Starfall and downgrading? What do I need just to accomplish that?

Why does it seem like from this guide I have to install like 10 different things?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::bow:HAPPY HOLLIDAY BIRTHDAY Psi ! :bow::grog::toot::hrth: +1