Hacking Need advise for o3ds

HuffieWuffie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been awhile and have totally lost touch with the scene. Basically I'm having an old 3ds running 8.1.0 FW with Gateway 3.0.4 and am thinking of "updating". Would it be possible to stick with my current 8.1.0 and load in Gateway 3.7.2 and above still using the browser hax? If so what do I need to do? I'm trying not to go into using CFW.
Thanks!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just follow this and you should be good to go.
That's not helping him with his question at all.
It's been awhile and have totally lost touch with the scene. Basically I'm having an old 3ds running 8.1.0 FW with Gateway 3.0.4 and am thinking of "updating". Would it be possible to stick with my current 8.1.0 and load in Gateway 3.7.2 and above still using the browser hax? If so what do I need to do? I'm trying not to go into using CFW.
Thanks!
Yes, that will work just fine. Although it's recommended to move on to B9S instead as it's a much better entrypoint that runs instantly on boot. You can still use Gateway with B9S through a workaround. I have mine set up this way and it works flawlessly.
That will essentially require you to go through the CFW install process, but at the end you'll have the option to dual boot Luma/GW, or stick to just GW. Or even switch to just CFW if you find out that you really like Luma and the features it provides.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Quantumcat

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just follow this and you should be good to go.
The OP said he doesn't want CFW, so 3ds.guide doesn't really help.

Thanks!
Updating your Gateway should work just fine (and you can just downgrade it if it doesn't work), but there's no point as newer games can't run on firmwares like 8.1 at all, meaning you will have to update. However, updating would get rid of all the patched exploit entrypoints (eg: browserhax). I THINK it's possible to keep exploits like browserhax though if you find a game cartridge that comes with an update that doesn't update the browser (can't remember the specifics, someone will have to chip in here for this).

If you want to play the newer games though but keep using Gateway you can do something like EmuNAND 11.2/SysNAND 11.6, but it's just best to throw away that flashcart and simply use CFW nice and cleanly. Less of a mess, no worries about updating, unpatchable access to the HomeBrew Launcher (meaning you never lose homebrews), ability to play all the newest games just fine and generally better as partitioning your SD card will probably make it at least slightly slower overall, on top of not having the EmuNAND take up precious space in your SD card. And if you ever want to go back, it's very simple to uninstall CFW and it's almost fully automated so you run no risks at all.

Last edited by ThoD,

HuffieWuffie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks all for the suggestions and advise. Think I roughly got the gist of it and will have to start exploring in that direction. Cheers!

HuffieWuffie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not helping him with his question at all.

Yes, that will work just fine. Although it's recommended to move on to B9S instead as it's a much better entrypoint that runs instantly on boot. You can still use Gateway with B9S through a workaround. I have mine set up this way and it works flawlessly.
That will essentially require you to go through the CFW install process, but at the end you'll have the option to dual boot Luma/GW, or stick to just GW. Or even switch to just CFW if you find out that you really like Luma and the features it provides.
Since I'm new and unable to post links.. was this the title in this forum to have dual boot for Luma and GW, [Tutorial] Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S ?

HuffieWuffie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the one. ;)
sorry, may need your advise again. I've done almost everything installing b9s+luma (booted up showing Sys 8.1.0 which I believe I'm on the right track) until the finalizing step - Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
If I were to proceed with this step, I'm afraid I might be updating the Sysnand to the latest version i.e 11.6. This may cause problem if I wanted to install Gateway later as only sysnand < 11.2 is possible. Any suggestion how do I go about installing only up to version 11.2 for the sysnand?

Many thanks!

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
sorry, may need your advise again. I've done almost everything installing b9s+luma (booted up showing Sys 8.1.0 which I believe I'm on the right track) until the finalizing step - Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
If I were to proceed with this step, I'm afraid I might be updating the Sysnand to the latest version i.e 11.6. This may cause problem if I wanted to install Gateway later as only sysnand < 11.2 is possible. Any suggestion how do I go about installing only up to version 11.2 for the sysnand?

Many thanks!

CTR Transfer. or google for the thread about hyrbid fw for gateway...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Many thanks!
You have an emuNAND right?
Keep the emuNAND for GW, and update your sysNAND for Luma.
If you don't have an emuNAND make one before updating (but you'll need to back up your 3DS SD card since it'll be formatted)

HuffieWuffie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have an emuNAND right?
Keep the emuNAND for GW, and update your sysNAND for Luma.
If you don't have an emuNAND make one before updating (but you'll need to back up your 3DS SD card since it'll be formatted)
I doubt I have emuNAND as most of the time when I use browser exploit I only see Ver 8.1.0 in System settings instead of GW xx. In this case do you suggest that I complete the whole installation of B9S, next follow the tutorial to have B9S and GW to work, only then install emuNAND and do the update of sysNAND?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I doubt I have emuNAND as most of the time when I use browser exploit I only see Ver 8.1.0 in System settings instead of GW xx. In this case do you suggest that I complete the whole installation of B9S, next follow the tutorial to have B9S and GW to work, only then install emuNAND and do the update of sysNAND?
Make an emuNAND first. When the guide tells you to follow "move emuNAND", ignore it and continue with the guide as normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1