Need advice troubleshooting n64 hardware

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by rad3ds, Oct 18, 2016.

1. rad3ds
    OP

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    I'm trying to set up an n64, but I'm encountering some strange issues.
    I have 4 games cartridges handy to test with, Mario 64 rumble version (Japan), J League Live 64 (Japan), Rogue Squadron (USA), Episode 1 Racer (USA)
    I have 2 regular jumper packs to test with, and 1 expansion pack.

The issue I am encountering is that some games don't boot at all with jumper or expansion (Mario and J League), and the other two have pretty severe graphical glitching with just a jumper pack installed, and seem to run mostly okay with some possible glitching when I have the expansion pack inserted.

I assumed this meant something was wrong with my motherboard, so I got a replacement motherboard for a reasonable price. I test with it, and I am getting the exact same issues.

It seems surprising to me that I have bad luck with all 4 game packs, is it the most likely cause? All were obtained from separate sellers online.

Other common factors are my power supply and video cable, and television.
    I used a cheap multimeter to test the voltage on the PSU. The two 3.3v pins tested around 3.4v, and the 12v pin came in a little under 11v. I know it's probably not an exact thing, but does this indicate the PSU may be the culprit?

I will also lend some cartridges to a family friend who has an N64 for testing, but it will be a little while before I see him, so in the mean time, I wonder if anyone here has ideas for troubleshooting.

2. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Did you try cleaning the contacts on both the cartridges and the jumper packs? Dab a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rub it on the contacts in a circular motion.

3. rad3ds
    OP

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    Pretty sure it's not dirty contacts, but I gave them another cleaning with some electrical contact cleaning solution. No change. It's probably going to take me borrowing a known for sure working cart, and lending the carts I have to a friend for testing, to narrow this down.

4. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Are you using an official n64 power supply and official nintendo av cables?

5. rad3ds
    OP

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    Both are Nintendo branded and look official to me.

6. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Sounds like a RAM problem. Have you tried different jumper/expansion paks?

7. rad3ds
    OP

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    Yeppers. Two different jumper packs, and an expansion pack on hand, and two different mobos as well actually. I get the same set of problems with either mobo and either jumper pack, and the expansion pack seems to fix a lot of issues with Rogue Squadron specifically, but not the other games I have on hand to test with.
    I had originally assumed the built in RAM on my mobo was bad, and so got a second mobo, but surprisingly it must be something else.

8. Indigo Marz

Indigo Marz Indigo Marz - No HooX

Aug 4, 2011
    United States
    Funcoland
    It could be the system contacts (worst fear)

9. rad3ds
    OP

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    What do you mean by system contacts?