Hacking Need Advice on new n3ds

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, This is my first post but I have been coming to GBAtemp for years. I've always found the answers I need here on the site when I needed them.

I've modded lots of things in the past but am now ready to take the dive into modding my New N3ds XL Hyrule edition. I am on 11.4, I stopped letting the 3ds update itself and now that 11.5 is out I felt comfortable enough to start the process to mod my 3ds. I am a zelda fanatic and own all the releases from NES->Wii U. I am going to rip my games and have already started a project of building a Zelda themed Arcade unit. But I want my 3ds to hold everything Zelda from nes, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, nDS and n3DS. All the other stuff (n64, GC, Wii, Wii U & Switch) will be on the Big Arcade unit.

So, this brings me to today. I have the newest R4i Gold 11.5 & SKY3DS+ 11.5 on order from nds-card. Once it gets here I will dive head first into getting this accomplished.

Any advice for a new user to the 3ds modding scene?

Thank you

Last edited by P1R4NH4,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hello everyone, This is my first post but I have been coming to GBAtemp for years.
I've modded lots of things in the past but am now ready to take the dive into modding my New N3ds XL Hyrule edition. I am on 11.4, I stopped letting the 3ds update itself and now that 11.5 is out I felt comfortable enough to start the process to mod my 3ds.
and your question is?
What do you mean by modding it? (CFW, screen swap, desing)

If you want CFW, you have 2 options here. NTRBootHax or hardmod.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I am new, I accidently hit enter before finishing my post. Now I am getting an error when trying to edit it stating that it is spam like behavior....

just a sec i'm trying to edit down, figure out what's triggering it...

*edit*
I found it, its cause i wrote nds-card dot com

Last edited by P1R4NH4,

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want CFW, you have 2 options here. NTRBootHax or hardmod.

I would like to ultimately have it soft modded so I can run all the zelda collection nes=>3ds (not inc n64 & up.) I thought I read somewhere that there were issues running all the different emulators on a 3ds without the 2 cards I mentioned earlier. So, I just bought those as a first step into modding it before I do a firmware mod. I'm not a fan of having to use the ds/3ds cards to load games, I want to do it all from the mem stick the 3ds uses...

So is NTRBootHax where I want to start my research?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I would like to ultimately have it soft modded so I can run all the zelda collection nes=>3ds (not inc n64 & up.) I thought I read somewhere that there were issues running all the different emulators on a 3ds without the 2 cards I mentioned earlier. So, I just bought those as a first step into modding it before I do a firmware mod. I'm not a fan of having to use the ds/3ds cards to load games, I want to do it all from the mem stick the 3ds uses...

So is NTRBootHax where I want to start my research?
Why did you buy sky 3d if you are going to softmode your 3ds? :D Nevermind. here is what you need: https://3ds.guide/ntrboot (make sure you card is suppoorted)

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did you buy sky 3d if you are going to softmode your 3ds? :D

Im not sure what I am doing yet but I also wanted the option of having a Non soft modded 3ds as well that could use the sky3d.

I collect zelda systems so I have a couple 3ds systems that I could use the card on in the future.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Im not sure what I am doing yet but I also wanted the option of having a Non soft modded 3ds as well that could use the sky3d.

I collect zelda systems so I have a couple 3ds systems that I could use the card on in the future.
With ntrboot you can mod any firmware so you'll never need the Sky3DS.

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With ntrboot you can mod any firmware so you'll never need the Sky3DS.
well then, maybe ill just sell it to someone then. It came in the mail today. took 3 or 4 days from nds card dot com. Pretty impressive shipping time. I order from over seas all the time, this is the fastest delivery ever!

guess ill start researching ntrboot tomorrow.

Is there a front end for emulators & roms? I am using launchbox for pc but would like something similar for 3ds.
If not, Is there any organization homebrew that will allow me to organize everything better on the 3ds screen?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
well then, maybe ill just sell it to someone then. It came in the mail today. took 3 or 4 days from nds card dot com. Pretty impressive shipping time. I order from over seas all the time, this is the fastest delivery ever!

guess ill start researching ntrboot tomorrow.

Is there a front end for emulators & roms? I am using launchbox for pc but would like something similar for 3ds.
If not, Is there any organization homebrew that will allow me to organize everything better on the 3ds screen?
When you install games, they'll appear as icons on your home menu so you can start them that way. If you want to organise them, you can put the icons into different folders.

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you install games, they'll appear as icons on your home menu so you can start them that way. If you want to organise them, you can put the icons into different folders.

Is there a way to do custom icons? Can we do custom mods to the splash intros when the icons are highlighted?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to organize them, you can put the icons into different folders.
and to add depth to this you can attach badges to the folders [Release] GYTB: Custom badges made really, really, simple. Advanced badge editor - Create your own badges and sets easily!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there a way to do custom icons? Can we do custom mods to the splash intros when the icons are highlighted?
you can use your own icons on homebrew if you edit and build your own .cia (or 3dsx) files
you can have flashcard forwarders for your .nds games
i dont believe you can change official app icons (other then stock icons via badges)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and to add depth to this you can attach badges to the folders [Release] GYTB: Custom badges made really, really, simple. Advanced badge editor - Create your own badges and sets easily!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you can use your own icons on homebrew if you edit and build your own .cia (or 3dsx) files
you can have flashcard forwarders for your .nds games
i dont believe you can change official app icons (other then stock icons via badges)
With the official ones, is that with sticking the actual app in a folder somewhere or to actually have say one mii plaza icon on the homescreen changed with one of the plaza badges?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the official ones, is that with sticking the actual app in a folder somewhere or to actually have say one mii plaza icon on the homescreen changed with one of the plaza badges?
both sort of you would stick them in a folder and as for the latter and also to further delve into it you can assign the title id for the stock app to a custom badge and then use that badge as a replacement for that stock app although its convoluted to do (unless it is a feature in advanced badge editor . . . i haven't looked into it personally)

edit . . . after rereading i believe its the first one but you can go deeper than allowed is my point

Last edited by wormdood,

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, I don't know what happened. I was doing the first part of the tutorial. I loaded the .nds file onto my r4 card. I successfully booted it up. Successfully injected the flash like instructed and I shut down the 3ds. Upon restarting my gold card isn't recognized anymore

Did my gold cart just brick itself????

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ugh, I don't know what happened. I was doing the first part of the tutorial. I loaded the .nds file onto my r4 card. I successfully booted it up. Successfully injected the flash like instructed and I shut down the 3ds. Upon restarting my gold card isn't recognized anymore

Did my gold cart just brick itself????
That is supposed to happen. After you are finished the guide you can flash the backup back and use it like a normal DS flashcart again.

P1R4NH4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I encountered an additional problem. It made my system SD card unrecognizable in the pc and 3ds so I had to reformat my system SD card.

Also, I am unable to get the button combo /magnet trick to work to proceed...

Am I able to restore the gold cart and start over again?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I encountered an additional problem. It made my system SD card unrecognizable in the pc and 3ds so I had to reformat my system SD card.

Also, I am unable to get the button combo /magnet trick to work to proceed...

Am I able to restore the gold cart and start over again?
Restoring the card won't do anything except mean that you have to flash it again. You can't restore it until you have access to CFW now anyway. Make sure the magnet triggers sleep mode when the console is on, and don't let it move again while you power off. Hold Start, Select and X before pressing the power button, and keep holding them for a few seconds after the console powers on. Then release.
Edit: the above advice is for if the console just enters sleep mode when you try. If the light flashes on then off, it can't find boot.firm on your SD card (if the SD card is corrupted, if the file is corrupted, or you forgot to copy it on or rename it correctly).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@