Need advice for using Webcam as security camera

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by RCJayce, Mar 11, 2015.

1. RCJayce
    OP

RCJayce The Defender Of Tomorrow

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Hi guys! I need advice about this, I have an AIO with a integrated Webcam and I wanna use it as a Security Camera, the software i look needs to be free and support streaming for viewing it from a browser in another network.

Thanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I do prefer IP cameras and the like for this sort of task but use what you have is always an option and webcam is very much a valid one.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ispysoftware/ is a soft sell for a paid version but the free one is still pretty good and will even do things like record when it sees movement. You may or may not have to find a dynamic DNS and they did half try, alternatively though you could always get a version of teamviewer installed on it or something (if remote control is not for you then you can always VPN in, VPN also saves having to worry about security so much and teamviewer does have a VPN option).

WiiCube_2013 and RCJayce like this.
  3. RCJayce
    OP

RCJayce The Defender Of Tomorrow

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Thanks Fast! I’ll checo tour suggestions.

4. jlmiller4

jlmiller4 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2013
    United States
    I've used Yawcam for years. Easy to use and can be viewed in an IP cam viewer (I use IP Cam Viewer Lite) on Android phones or via browser. The trickiest part is setting up your port forwarding for the camera to view it outside your home network.

5. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Get an IP camera, setup email alerts when motion is detected.