Hacking Need a nudge in the right direction

BassKozz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me preface by saying my system menu version is 3.3U, and my Wii is NTSC/USA version.

I've successfully installed the HomeBrew Channel & HomeBrew Browser App via the twilight hack, and I am now looking for a nudge in the right direction on how to backup games to DVD (not SD or usb) and play those backups on my Wii. I have a 4yr old in the house that can sometimes get into things and I'd like to keep backups of my games so I don't have to rebuy them.

I've searched the internet via google for hours on end and I am getting pulled in thousands of different directions:
  • You first must downgrade to system menu version 3.2U
  • You first must upgrade to system menu version 3.4U
  • You need SoftMii v3 (but wait, it's not out yet
    unsure.gif
    )
  • You need DVDX
  • You need a Wad Manager
  • You need CIOS86 rev7,8,10
  • etc...
wacko.gif

I don't know where to begin, or what I need and don't need. Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Basskozz

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easiest and most complete way to mod your wii is to go to google softmii 2.1 or whatever and follow their guide to the letter. They provide all the necessary apps and when completed you will have backup-region free loading through the disc channel and preloader installed, which will help prevent bricks and help recover if you do ever brick. Bad wads can brick your wii, so if you plan to install any wads, I would highly recommend preloader.

CIOS rev 10 is the most recent version of Waninkoko's custom IOS and I think mostly has to do with USB loader, but doesn't hurt to install anyway

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All you need is:
1. Get the rev7 or later cIOS installed as IOS249. If the official installer works fine, you are good.
2. A way to launch games with IOS249. For this you only need to execute Gamma or SoftChip from the HBC.

Most guides tell you that you need to downgrade to 3.2, because the cIOS installer fails on 3.3v2 and higher. And it's used in most (old) guides because of the fact that starfall can only be installed on 3.2. (you can use starfall to skip disc updates and for some brick protection, but preloader does that too and isn't restricted to 3.2)

SoftMii is mentioned because it's a klicki-bunti guide to softmod your Wii with just everything you need and everything you don't need. It includes cioscorp that allows you to play backups from the disc channel.

DVDx is not needed anymore and only causes trouble with backups. Only install it, if you really really want to play dvd movies in your Wii.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
If I was you I'd go the USB HDD route, That way you can install your Original games to the HDD and then put them away somewhere safe and out of reach of little destructive hands. Just get a USB powered HDD and that way you can easily unplug it from your Wii when your not using it and keep it out of reach also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?