Gaming Need a new RPG

arogance1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I kinda feel that I need something new to play.
I miss playing a decent Final Fantasy turn-based game.

Recently, I've played:
Phantom Brave,
Final Fantasy CC (Got bored),
Final Fantasy Chocobo Dungeon (completed),
Fragile Dreams (Got bored before leaving 1st room),
Monster Hunter Tri (Couldn't get into it),
Rune Factory Frontier (Not started yet)

GameFaqs lists a few others:
Arc Rise Fantasia,
Dokapon Kingdom,
Spectrobes.

Are these any good?
Suggestions for any others please?

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't go wrong with Fire Emblem. They're more strategy games, but they have lots of RPG elements (perma-death, leveling up, custom equipment, etc.). While I'm not the biggest FE fan, my brother has completed Radiant Dawn almost three times now.

If you have a PS2, Final Fantasy XII is fantastic. It's a lot like the ATB system but sped-up, and while the game has a pretty slow start, it gets REALLY good as you go farther in the game. It's not just a matter of equipping the best things and mashing the attack button/spamming summons/limit breaks (*cough*FF7), and you actually have to strategically position yourself in battles in order to have the advantage. To this day, I have no idea why there is such a large internet groupthink surrounding this game saying it's "terrible" when it got so much positive critical reception (even a perfect Famitsu score). It really is amazing.

And if you have a GBA, get the FF6 remake for it. Awesome stuff.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specific to the Wii? Hm...off the top of my head, look into these:

- Chrono Trigger (Virtual Console)
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (WiiWare)
- Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
- Arc Raise Fantasia
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World

If it's not exclusive to the Wii, then let us know what consoles you have and we'll be able to suggest some more.

arogance1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've only got a Wii and a DS Lite
I'm tempted to get a PS2 or PS3 for the FF games and Breath of Fire games.

I will try FF4 on WiiWare and try to find Sakura Wars & Arc Rise Fantasia.

I completed Chrono Trigger a long time ago

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
wow, i thought metacritic might help but theres not much in it at all...

arc rise=64
fire emblem=78
phantome brave=76
fragile dreams=67
sakura wars=74
tales of symphonia=68

looks like rpg is what the wii does consistantly well!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sloshy said:
Can't go wrong with Fire Emblem. They're more strategy games, but they have lots of RPG elements (perma-death, leveling up, custom equipment, etc.). While I'm not the biggest FE fan, my brother has completed Radiant Dawn almost three times now.

If you have a PS2, Final Fantasy XII is fantastic. It's a lot like the ATB system but sped-up, and while the game has a pretty slow start, it gets REALLY good as you go farther in the game. It's not just a matter of equipping the best things and mashing the attack button/spamming summons/limit breaks (*cough*FF7), and you actually have to strategically position yourself in battles in order to have the advantage. To this day, I have no idea why there is such a large internet groupthink surrounding this game saying it's "terrible" when it got so much positive critical reception (even a perfect Famitsu score). It really is amazing.

Okay, here's a counter idea; if you plan to ever get into Final Fantasy, don't start or even play with 10 - 14. Just don't. If anything, start with 4.

Anyway, 3 okay RPGs are Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes and One Piece Unlimited Adventure/Cruise (Which you might not like unless you're a fan).

Also, you should give Monster Hunet Tri another chance, it gets more fan later on and online (and I'm not a big fan of online gaming).

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too be really honest, the Wii SUCKS at the RPG field. Give it an RPG and it'll fuck it all up.

However, the Virtual Console can be your friend.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
Sloshy said:

Okay, here's a counter idea; if you plan to ever get into Final Fantasy, don't start or even play with 10 - 14. Just don't. If anything, start with 4.

Anyway, 3 okay RPGs are Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes and One Piece Unlimited Adventure/Cruise (Which you might not like unless you're a fan).

Also, you should give Monster Hunet Tri another chance, it gets more fan later on and online (and I'm not a big fan of online gaming).
I'll 2nd what machmuu said, The One Piece Unlimited Adventure/Cruise games are a lot of fun. They are kinda a mix between RPG and an Action adventure like Metroid. Sengoku Basara is a really good game as well if you like the Samurai warriors or Dynasty Warriors games. Arc Rise Fantasia is a good game as well, its voice acting is really its only short coming and even that isn't that bad I've heard far worse.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
I would also recommend Arc Rise Fantasia.

You will find it surprising similar to Final Fantasy but in it's own way, different.

I love the gameplay and the story is not great but at the same time it's bearable.

It's actually the best RPG i've seen/played (i haven't played much rpg's on the wii but at the same time there isn't much to choose from) for the wii.

Also i will agree on you with the Monster hunter thing, I don't really get why people go ape-nuts over that game i played it for the wii and psp and neither excite me.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I've only got a Wii and a DS Lite
I'm tempted to get a PS2 or PS3 for the FF games and Breath of Fire games.

I will try FF4 on WiiWare and try to find Sakura Wars & Arc Rise Fantasia.

I completed Chrono Trigger a long time ago

If you're getting a PS2, you'll be in RPG heaven. All of the SMT titles (Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3/Persona 4, Nocturne, Devil Summoner) are AMAZING RPG's - all very deep story wise, and loads of fun. All fairly long, too - I've spent about 160 hours on Persona 3 and 4 together, and another 40 on Nocturne (though I haven't beaten it yet.)

Along with the SMT titles, you also have the Xenosaga series, which are all very long, very fun titles, Namco x Capcom (which takes about an hour a chapter, and there's 50), Disgaea, the Final Fantasy titles, Laa Pucelle Tactics, Dark Cloud, Shadow Hearts, Suikoden 3, the Grandia titles, Star Ocean, Legaia....off the top of my head. You'll be in RPG heaven.

For the DS, I'd recommend:

Turn Based:
SMT: Strange Journey
SMT: Devil Survivor
Etrian Odyssey (3 titles in all)
The Final Fantasy Titles (3 and 4, and even Tactics A2)

Other:
Infinite Space
The World Ends With You

Off the top of my head. Those are all fairly long titles, so I'd start with those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: old men discussion