Status
Not open for further replies.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Macbook is only 0.7" smaller than the Acer and they are both the same resolution. She could setup Windows with Bootcamp and set that as the default OS so that she only ever has to see OS X when she needs it. From what I can see the acer is higher specd than the Macbook on three things: Dedicated graphics card, 3GB of RAM and 250GB hard drive. The dedicated graphics card will only really be needed if she's wanting to do some gaming. The RAM and hard drive could be a little bit of a problem, although if you go here and then go onto the Macbook you can could go onto the second Macbook and upgrade the hard drive to 250GB which will then cost $1289. This is $190 more than the Acer, but you could claim the free iPod and sell that which should bring the difference down by quite a bit.

What is it about the Acer that makes you want that more than the Macbook? Is it the graphics card? Hard drive? RAM? The fact that it's not a mac? Is it so you can brag about how you're running OS X on non mac hardware?

Sekkyumu

Trophies
Website
charaveldesign.com
XP
Country
France
underpressure116 said:
How about you take your ignorant fanyboyism elsewhere? I need help and will not tolerate this turning into some OS war. You clearly know nothing about OSx86 (do the words Vanilla Kernel mean anything to you?). And who the hell are you to decide what specs are good enough? She knows what she wants and it is NOT a MacBook. Grow up and take your head out of Steve Jobs' ass.

And I've already explained why it must be a Pro. Also, they do, in fact, require a Mac. I don't know why, but art majors require them. I think it is one of the most retarded things they could have done, but there's nothing else I can really do about it.

So does anyone actually know anything about this laptop?

Alright you calm down first man. I never attacked you in my post so who the hell are you to do that ?

I'm not a fanboy and I think I'm much more open-minded than you simply because 1) I don't critize and call stupid every products I don't know about or I've never used, 2) I run Linux, Windows and OS X at home.

Using a mac doesn't mean I'm in love with Steve Jobs too man...
rolleyes.gif

I know nothing about OSx86 ? Haha you'd be surprised man.
unsure.gif

Alright I'm out of here. You needed help to decide and since I'm a mac user I could have helped you but the only words in my mind right now are : Get lost.

See ya and good luck man
wink.gif

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
UH...Why not look at the osx86 wiki that has a complete compatibility page dedicated to what works and what doesn't?

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

Nothing works completely out of the box. There needs to be some tweaks involved and those tweaks can be killed with updates.

Exactly, why a Mac? Why not just any notebook?

They require it, don't ask me why. And the whole point of this thread was so I could find out what hardware is in this notebook so I could check the wiki. If I don't know what hardware is in this laptop, I can't judge how compatible it will be. If you check the wiki, you will see the Asus F8 series is not mentioned, therefore I must check the individual components for compatibility, thus the point of this thread.

And she is a photography major, but will mostly be doing film work, not digital. And she knows Photoshop inside and out, so editing is not an issue. Final Cut likely would be useless anyways and she would much rather use Photoshop over Aperture, so I'm sure (knowing her) she'll just use Photoshop anways.

She is not getting a Mac because she wants one, or plans to use it a lot, but because the university is forcing it onto her. For all we know, she may not need to use OS X at all, but that is what the college is requiring.

You people act like I just decided "oh, this sounds like a good idea! Lemme just dive into something I know nothing about! That'll work out nicely!" I know the risks and I know the issues. I didn't post this to get peoples' worthless opinions on OSx86 or of my girlfriend's intelligence. All I want to know is what the hardware is in the Asus F8 that I originally posted so her family isn't left in debt. Get over it, I don't care about your ignorant opinions on OSx86.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
underpressure116 said:
Jiggah said:
UH...Why not look at the osx86 wiki that has a complete compatibility page dedicated to what works and what doesn't?

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

Nothing works completely out of the box. There needs to be some tweaks involved and those tweaks can be killed with updates.

Exactly, why a Mac? Why not just any notebook?

They require it, don't ask me why. And the whole point of this thread was so I could find out what hardware is in this notebook so I could check the wiki. If I don't know what hardware is in this laptop, I can't judge how compatible it will be. If you check the wiki, you will see the Asus F8 series is not mentioned, therefore I must check the individual components for compatibility, thus the point of this thread.

And she is a photography major, but will mostly be doing film work, not digital. And she knows Photoshop inside and out, so editing is not an issue. Final Cut likely would be useless anyways and she would much rather use Photoshop over Aperture, so I'm sure (knowing her) she'll just use Photoshop anways.

She is not getting a Mac because she wants one, or plans to use it a lot, but because the university is forcing it onto her. For all we know, she may not need to use OS X at all, but that is what the college is requiring.

You people act like I just decided "oh, this sounds like a good idea! Lemme just dive into something I know nothing about! That'll work out nicely!" I know the risks and I know the issues. I didn't post this to get peoples' worthless opinions on OSx86 or of my girlfriend's intelligence. All I want to know is what the hardware is in the Asus F8 that I originally posted so her family isn't left in debt. Get over it, I don't care about your ignorant opinions on OSx86.

If she is working with film, she will be using Final Cut. It's the defacto standard. It's what studios use.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sekkyumu said:
underpressure116 said:
How about you take your ignorant fanyboyism elsewhere? I need help and will not tolerate this turning into some OS war. You clearly know nothing about OSx86 (do the words Vanilla Kernel mean anything to you?). And who the hell are you to decide what specs are good enough? She knows what she wants and it is NOT a MacBook. Grow up and take your head out of Steve Jobs' ass.

And I've already explained why it must be a Pro. Also, they do, in fact, require a Mac. I don't know why, but art majors require them. I think it is one of the most retarded things they could have done, but there's nothing else I can really do about it.

So does anyone actually know anything about this laptop?

Alright you calm down first man. I never attacked you in my post so who the hell are you to do that ?

I'm not a fanboy and I think I'm much more open-minded than you simply because 1) I don't critize and call stupid every products I don't know about or I've never used, 2) I run Linux, Windows and OS X at home.

Using a mac doesn't mean I'm in love with Steve Jobs too man...
rolleyes.gif

I know nothing about OSx86 ? Haha you'd be surprised man.
unsure.gif

Alright I'm out of here. You needed help to decide and since I'm a mac user I could have helped you but the only words in my mind right now are : Get lost.

See ya and good luck man
wink.gif

Congrats, I used to run Windows and Linux and used to run OSx86 as well (I don't have a PC at home anymore, just my WiBrain). I'm not criticizing any product that I haven't used as I have used OS X and am not a fan and neither is she. Your post did not help as I'm not interested in anyone's opinion on the matter, I just want info.

And Javacat, those three things are the exact reasons why she would rather the Asus. And it has nothing to do with ego as this is not MY laptop. This is for her and this is what she would prefer. She knows all this stuff. I just want some simple info so my girlfriend can get what she wants. There may be an element of "It's not a Mac," but that is not my issue. She wants it and that's her decision. If she can get away without a Mac, she is going to try anything. This isn't about me.

BTW, there have been plenty of success stories with Final Cut Studio 2 on Kalyway 10.5.2. If I know what hardware this laptop has, I can find out if it definitely works.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Also you said that you woudln't update the OSx86 but you will have to due to the softwares is being updated very often and they tend to require the later Leopard versions and even with Vanilla Kernel updating can be a pain.

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Final Cut runs sometimes, others it doesn't. Even when it does run, it's being used by people who don't actually USE it. It locks up and crashes randomly on fake-macs.

Christ. JUST BUY A BOOK. They are good enough for final cut work. If they can't dig up the cash for a pro and really need it, I have an idea

black-card_tcm24-19593.jpg

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
If I'm looking at the right model, some of this information is available on Asus's website:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...l3=501&l4=0
Otherwise it can't hurt to e-mail Asus to get the specs, pretend you're trying to install Linux or something. Might take a while to get an answer though.

I think it's unreasonable for a college to make demands like this without offering some kind of financial help obtaining one. I can understand why they recommend a Mac, but they can't just expect their entire student body to pull such an expensive piece of kit out of thin air. That's just insane.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just fuck off, DrKupo. Is it so complicated to get some simple information?? She doesn't want a Mac and she sure as hell isn't going to get a credit card to pay for it if she doesn't have to do something like that. They don't have credit cards and they don't want credit cards. They have had issues and there is no reason for it. I don't need your worthless, ignorant, spoutings.

She is NOT getting a 'Book and there's nothing you random people can say to change that. She doesn't care about your opinions, your "advice," or your criticisms and I don't want it either. As soon as I can get the information we need, she's making the purchase.

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Psyfira said:
If I'm looking at the right model, some of this information is available on Asus's website:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...l3=501&l4=0
Otherwise it can't hurt to e-mail Asus to get the specs, pretend you're trying to install Linux or something. Might take a while to get an answer though.

I think it's unreasonable for a college to make demands like this without offering some kind of financial help obtaining one. I can understand why they recommend a Mac, but they can't just expect their entire student body to pull such an expensive piece of kit out of thin air. That's just insane.

They really aren't that expensive. They aren't demanding the entire student body get one, just those who are working with Photo/Film, which the macs have always been the best for.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the want all they Arts majors to get one, not just the film and photo majors. It is pretty unreasonable. And they only offer financial aid for the people who need the Dell. It's all sorts of screwed up. It's a good idea Psyfira, but she's supposed to have it by August 19th. I'm going to try it, but I don't know if I'll get the info from Asus in time. =_=;;

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As you're so determined against getting a mac, have completely disregarded and insulted everyone that has given you good advise and even though I think it will be a huge mistake for you not to get one, I'll try and be at least somewhat useful in this thread.

You could try looking at what drivers it uses to identify some of the hardware. You might need to download some of them and to extract the files to identify what hardware the drivers are for. Drivers for the F8Sp are available @ http://support.asus.com/download/download....&model=F8Sp

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
underpressure116 said:
Just fuck off, DrKupo. Is it so complicated to get some simple information?? She doesn't want a Mac and she sure as hell isn't going to get a credit card to pay for it if she doesn't have to do something like that. They don't have credit cards and they don't want credit cards. They have had issues and there is no reason for it. I don't need your worthless, ignorant, spoutings.

She is NOT getting a 'Book and there's nothing you random people can say to change that. She doesn't care about your opinions, your "advice," or your criticisms and I don't want it either. As soon as I can get the information we need, she's making the purchase.

She will need a mac for the programs she will be required to use. Buying a timebomb will not change that.

I work with Final Cut professionally. I know everything about it. One of the things it does is check for typical hackintosh shit. Ethernet cards on weird (non en0) addresses, messed up system info, and other stuff. It either won't run or crash constantly on hackintoshes. There is nothing you can do to change the fact that you are giving someone who is not qualified a time bomb. If she was qualified, she'd be aware of hackintosh, have built hackintoshes before, etc. But she isn't, and all the lying in the world won't change that.

She should get a book. It will work out to be CHEAPER then this ASUS after selling the $300 dollar Ipod Touch that comes free with the purchase.

I will again suggest the book. I use mine for some minor video stuff and it does the job.

As for why they want the Art people to get macs:

It's very well known that Apple offers the best creative software in the business, including a superior version of Photoshop, Aperture and Final cut, as well as an operating system that meshes well with the creative mind, the Macs have it all. It's not so unreasonable to pay $200 extra versus the cost of the Acer. It's not something that should be covered by Financial Aid.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just talked to her and her classes are all dark room and studio work. And fuck off with your comments on her intelligence. Correct, she has not installed OSx86, but she understands it and will have a chance to install it and use it. She knows how to build a PC and IS aware of Hackintosh. If she wasn't aware of it, she wouldn't be considering it. She's never built on because she doesn't like OS X. Where do you get off?

I'm going out to dinner, so if anyone has any useful information that would be great, if not, just fuck off.

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
underpressure116 said:
I just talked to her and her classes are all dark room and studio work. And fuck off with your comments on her intelligence. Correct, she has not installed OSx86, but she understands it and will have a chance to install it and use it. She knows how to build a PC and IS aware of Hackintosh. If she wasn't aware of it, she wouldn't be considering it. She's never built on because she doesn't like OS X. Where do you get off?

I'm going out to dinner, so if anyone has any useful information that would be great, if not, just fuck off.

So she will be using Aperture, a mac only tool. If you haven't installed OSx86 you aren't qualified to, and I don't think she should take a gamble when the costs are all of her course work.

Allow me to say that I am not saying she's stupid, that she sucks with computers, or whatnot. All I am saying is that making a hackintosh work and KEEPING IT THAT WAY is different then anything else she's done before, and the there is virtually no support. You have to figure it out yourself.

This thread will probably be locked before you get back, seeing as you are trolling everyone who replies.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
underpressure116 said:

Wow what an attitude.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apple MacBooks with the educational discount are only about $1000. It comes with a free iPod Touch. Sell the iPod, and the total price afterwards is $700. Not alot, and you dont have to deal with hackintosh. I believe that is cheaper than the asus, no?

Oh, the problem is that you want windows? Get bootcamp from the apple site and install it. Then set windows to default. Congratulations, you have a real mac. MacBooks are fast enough to run Final Cut.

Now you dont have to spend hours tweaking leopard, and nothing is going to be busted, broken, or incompatible. Ok and that was only $700, ok?

One more thing. The MacBook pro is only around 1800, not 2500+. Get your facts straight.
I still hate how you flame everyone giving you a vaild suggestion. It seems you are almost AGAINST the mac. I view this situation objectively. Yes, I am a Mac fanboy, but i have never acted in a fanboyism way. I just suggest you get the real thing.

The MacBook is as good as the Asus, even cheaper! The screen IS THE SAME resolution!
Just get a real Mac and save the trouble. Hey, my brother going to college is getting a MacBook Pro. Hes giving me the free iPod.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is getting out of hand. You guys need to chill with the urge to flame over every subject that comes up. The last thing we want is having 'Temp become nothing but wars and debates now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since