Need a little help upgrading

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by MrCooper, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MrCooper
    OP

MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    United States
    The United States of retard
    I have an old dell that I am looking to upgrade but am unsure if the processor will work. I just spent 15 dollars on a "new" GPU(Radeon X1300 256MB PCI) and now want to upgrade from my P4 HT 640 Prescott to a Pentium Dual Core, but I don't know if I will run in to issues with the chipset actually working with it or etc.

And does anyone know where I can get a case that will fit a BTX motherboard.

Note: I do not want to hear "just buy a new PC" because I am without a job and do not have the money to do that, but I do plan on it

2. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    Your mother board have a 945 chipset, so it should be compatible with Pentium d, however it could happen that your bios isn't. there is a bios update that gives better cpu compatibility, but it doesn't say which ones are added.
    http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloa...p;fileid=156509

BTX cases, intel tried to introduce them to the general public a few years ago, but they failed and now btx cases are rare, with some luck you might find one on clearance.

3. MrCooper
    OP

MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    United States
    I've got revision A11 of the BIOS so...

4. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    send a email to dell asking them if the cpu is supported or try a bit of google.

5. MrCooper
    OP

MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    United States
    I've already posted on about three forums, including Dell. Also, From what I've seen online it should work, just looking for second opinion.