Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Legend of Mana was much worse in my opinion

Sorry, but I disagree. Legend of Mana is one of the best games I've ever played...PERIOD. The big advantage it has over Secret of Mana is the multiple storylines and the freeflowing play.

Children of Mana is at the bottom of the pile. It was REALLY BORING. I was so excited to get this, then utter disappointment when I finally did. *cry*
Oh god, Legend of mana owned my life for a good while. Fantastic game. Some elite ass SOM fans seem to think otherwise, but the game had so many things going for it, plus a level of customization I haven't seen on any RPG since. LOM in my opinion IS the BEST Mana game. I guess I should mention theres a new mana coming to the PS2 this year while I'm here ranting.

And yes I've played SD3.

werwe

Trophies
XP
Country
The new Mana game on PS2 is getting horrible reviews. I saw a link on NeoGAF to a Japanese gameranking site that showed the average user-rating was something like 30/100.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

Sorry, but I disagree. Legend of Mana is one of the best games I've ever played...PERIOD. The big advantage it has over Secret of Mana is the multiple storylines and the freeflowing play.

Children of Mana is at the bottom of the pile. It was REALLY BORING. I was so excited to get this, then utter disappointment when I finally did. *cry*
Oh god, Legend of mana owned my life for a good while. Fantastic game. Some elite ass SOM fans seem to think otherwise, but the game had so many things going for it, plus a level of customization I haven't seen on any RPG since. LOM in my opinion IS the BEST Mana game. I guess I should mention theres a new mana coming to the PS2 this year while I'm here ranting.

And yes I've played SD3.

Hmmm, are we talking about the same game here? The game I played had less of a cohersive story compared to Children of Mana due to the way the world was structured....or the lack of in better terms. You sit there and you create the world practically to open up quests. And if by free-flowing you mean complete chaos, then yes this game definitely offered that. Maybe I'm one of those "elite-ass" SOM fans you're talking about but I still think the series' strength was staying true to the gameplay style of 2 and 3. And Children of Mana seems to be closer to that than the Legend of Mana.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

And yes I've played SD3.

Hmmm, are we talking about the same game here? The game I played had less of a cohersive story compared to Children of Mana due to the way the world was structured....or the lack of in better terms. You sit there and you create the world practically to open up quests. And if by free-flowing you mean complete chaos, then yes this game definitely offered that. Maybe I'm one of those "elite-ass" SOM fans you're talking about but I still think the series' strength was staying true to the gameplay style of 2 and 3. And Children of Mana seems to be closer to that than the Legend of Mana.
The way the world was structured had very little to do with the story. You can pretty much drop every stage wherever you feel like. It was free flowing because it had 3 different storylines that intersected each other, and depending on what stages you complete and what order you complete them in, you can play through all three. It also was one of the first games I played that had the EX start feature (replay with old items on increased difficulty),and good 2 player multiplayer. And if you complaining about dropping blocks onto a map in order to move to the next stage, you must have the patience of someone with a 2 minute lifespan. LoM's combat was a pleasant change from SoM's as it was more complex and satisfying. you can have your own opinion on these things, but saying gameplay wise that LoM is in any way below Children of Mana is just a flat out lie.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can see that this game means the world to you, and that's fine. Indirectly insulting me with stabs here and there with the 2 minute lifespan bit and calling me a liar seems quite a stretch to defend a video game....but hey to each his own. I won't even waste time trying to defend against insinuations like that. I was just making sure we were talkin about the same game and offered my opinion. I'm sure this game appeals to a certain group of people though I guess, kinda like how I never got into Final Fantasy Tactics series.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can see that this game means the world to you, and that's fine. Indirectly insulting me with stabs here and there with the 2 minute lifespan bit and calling me a liar seems quite a stretch to defend a video game....but hey to each his own. I won't even waste time trying to defend against insinuations like that. I was just making sure we were talkin about the same game and offered my opinion. I'm sure this game appeals to a certain group of people though I guess, kinda like how I never got into Final Fantasy Tactics series.
Nah, I'm just in disbelief that anyone could like CoM over LoM in any way. AND YOU NEVER GOT INTO FFT? *smacks multiple times* I think you need professional help
frown.gif
I don't even have a PSP and everytime I see a glimpse of the FFT PSP trailer I have strange reactions in the center of my jeans.
ph34r.gif
You see that? I'm tempted to buy a PSP just for a game that I've beaten 3 times on a system from 1995. Thats dedication. Or having no life. One of the two.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I've only played certain final fantasies that I absolutely love, which include FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, and FF9. The rest of the Square lineup I pick and choose with random offshoot games like Parasite Eve etc....I just never got into tactics....nor the whole front mission games.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I've only played certain final fantasies that I absolutely love, which include FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, and FF9. The rest of the Square lineup I pick and choose with random offshoot games like Parasite Eve etc....I just never got into tactics....nor the whole front mission games.
I never played Parasite Eve. I personally think 8>7 and it seems you don't deem 8 to be worthy, lol. Sadly, I've never beaten any of the 2d FF's yet, so I can't comment there. >< The best RPG of all time imo, is a tie between Chrono Cross/Breath of Fire 3. Front Missions ok. FFt got me into SRPGs bad. Anddd....... were off topic. So I'll shut up now. For those asking opinions on this game, If you want my opinion on CoM, it is a Fushigi no Dungeon game with the mana label slapped on, and a smidgen of a story pasted onto the boredom. But then again, I have no love for dungeon crawlers. If you like repetitive box smashing than this game is for you!!!
ohmy.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shame, because I played Chrono Cross for maybe half a hour and threw that aside too, for a sequel to one of my favorite rpgs of all time Chrono Trigger, it fell short to me....Seems I found someone with almost the exact opposite taste of me heh.....probably generation gap since you haven't played any of the older rpgs. FF8 I couldn't stand.....something about that game just wasn't right....only reason I came back to FF9 was because of the classical style it provided with beefed graphics....much like FF3 remake on DS. I tried 10 as well, waste of time.....and after seeing the battle system in FF12 when my bro was playing, I've given up on newer FF's until they come out with remakes. I'm crossing my fingers for a FF6 remake on psp.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have played older RPGs. I particularly enjoyed Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire (never got far in bof2. Got stuck a lot), Lufia1+2, Terranigma, Star Ocean (I played transed version via emu.) Tales of Phantasia(same), and Shin Megami Tensei 1/2(also transed.) I agree with you about FF10 and 12. I can't really stand either. FF10 seemed like it had something missing, and I though Tidus was a tard.. FF12 was lacking in character development and the combat was repetitive and boring, and basically it was less "You're a high level bad ass!" and more like "Wow! This is like russian roulette with numbers
ohmy.gif
" (in other words, its more luck based combat than skill based.) If they wanted to go actiony, they shoulda took a bit of gameplay from Star Ocean.

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shame, because I played Chrono Cross for maybe half a hour and threw that aside too, for a sequel to one of my favorite rpgs of all time Chrono Trigger, it fell short to me....Seems I found someone with almost the exact opposite taste of me heh.....probably generation gap since you haven't played any of the older rpgs. FF8 I couldn't stand.....something about that game just wasn't right....only reason I came back to FF9 was because of the classical style it provided with beefed graphics....much like FF3 remake on DS. I tried 10 as well, waste of time.....and after seeing the battle system in FF12 when my bro was playing, I've given up on newer FF's until they come out with remakes. I'm crossing my fingers for a FF6 remake on psp.

Too bad, chrono chross had a really good story!! i wouldnt really call it a sequel (much like FF#+1 is not really a sequel to the previous) it had some cameos and used some concepts and alot of the real chrono trigger world in it.
as for Square I liked:
FF1,FF3,FF4,FF5,FF6,FF9,FF11,FF12,FFT,FFTA (any one i didnt mention i didnt play)
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore(If they let 2nd player control dog this would have been more amazing though)
GB FF's(although some were a bit weird i actually loved them lol)
SMRPG

Ones i played i could bear with:
FF:MQ

might have missed some but im pretty sure when it comes to squaresoft games because i own actual carts of 90% of what i just wrote.

D

Deleted_11405

i think its a nice game i already got the us version
wink.gif
and glad too it doesnt have the big 12+ on the front side of the box.(strange why they put such on euro's and not on us version :s) i didnt know about mana games and played mt first on gba and liked it the way it plays (i still have to beat that one
biggrin.gif
) youwhoyouare why is it quite boring? many games are (getting) boring when you start playing and need to beat it in one time. i hope its doenst get boring for me or i have to buy another ds with the game again including a new friend for the wifi mode
wink.gif
just kiddin'

Mascot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never completed Sword of Mana but I remember playing it for like three hours when I first got it.

Looks fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol 3 times a day I'm a machine! +1