^^ndstitle-1231^^

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm. This game plays like a dungeon crawler, only without any levelling up. Music is practically non-existent too. The abilities are numerous but you can just cheese with a few of them. A very low-grade production imo. Just got past the first boss, which is played out kinda like an on-rails shooter - fun for a while, but repetitive. Ironically, light-crystal minigame is probably the best thing going for this game thus far. And did I mention how it is very is easy to die just like that?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
That box art is terrifying. It's the eyes; he always had a bit of a badass rebel look but that's just plain malicious.
frown.gif
Spyro what have they done to you, what have they doneeeee???
*Goes back to Season of Ice, which coincidentally I'm playing atm*

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Put it this way:

"Spyro the Dragon" is to "The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning"

"Batman" is to "Batman Begins"

Both retell the story from the beginning in a darker and cooler way!

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss when the 3D spyro actually had a story.
The two next gen ones just droped all the chars they had besides some new ones and old ones they couldnt toss.
Remember Spyro three with all te charectors and the whole story with the cheetah guy and that um, I think she was a rabbit.... I forget.
But I wonder what happend to all them o-o

Anyway, was hoping this one was like a sorta remake of the origonal PSX game.
Im guessing its just like the last DS game?
Sounds good, but in the end doesnt work anyway?
Youd think they'ed debug these things :wtf:
Spyro used to be such a solid game.

Anyway, anyone have a link to some footage of the gameplay or atleast some pics?
Us 56kers are too lazy to go get them ourselves ;P

Though someone please explain how the gameplay is and everything. Like give a mini review or something.

Oh and the boxart,
Total suckage.
Cool effects, but the look not only makes his eyes look poped out but it also kinda stears off the char's natural look.
The icon shoulda been the boxart xD

Well, I'll hold off buying this till I see how the game olds up.
Been wanting to try the DS spyro games for awhile.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
This post can contain spoilers depending on what you call spoilers
wink.gif

That game is not really worth it unless you are a die heart fan. Beaten this guy on the hardest settings in roughly 3 hours and 1 additional hour for unlocking all goodies: 4 hours and then this game is gone.

In general this plays kinda like Doom. Massive amount of dead stupid enemies are launched at you which are way too easy to dispose of especially in the hard mode. Main controls you can see with "START" and are D-Pad/Buttons by default. Although they are a couple of attack possibilities ( melee, short breath, long breath, shield, fury ) you will only stick to short breath and shield as they are the most effective of all.

One thing I hate on this game is the same I hated on games like "Zoids Dash": You need to use your thumb to dirty your screen. Sometimes there are stupid flies you can't attack else than literally "squashing" them with your thumb on the screen. The result is lots of dirt unless you figure out a way to minimize your own finger dirtiness or willing to clean the display sooner or later.

The boss battles though are good. The D-Pad controls your motion and the stylus indicates where to hit. Unfortunatly you look in vain for a left-handed setup. Hence all you left-handers out there are forced to use the stylus with the right hand. For me not a hard thing as I am kinda double-handed but others will have lots of troubles that I am sure of.

Boss battle is full 3D with you fly-circling around some enemy all time attacking him while he occasianally tosses stuff at you whereas story mode has the spyro typical ( for DS games that is ) 3/4 view ( or bird view, pardon me, dragon view ) but instead of collecting gems and various "objects" you retrieve colored shards from the badies filling up your experience points, health or breath meter. Experience can then be used to improve on of your skills of which there are many but only a few really usefull. Some enemies require the right elemental breath to dispose of them. Apart from that I always sticked to lightning as it is the most versatile one especially since the lightning shield turns you invulnerable for 6 seconds. It is nearly impossible to loose with that one on in a pinch.

Various usable objects require you to drag a circle into certain directions to use them. Rather useless as a simple "use" button would have done the same job. But then there are the light crystal puzzles which can be some brain tester. Stylus is a must there as the picking and turning of the objects is rather cubersome. You need mirrors, splitters and prismas to redirect the correct light into the correct crystals to solve it.

Extras. You unlock them by collecting the white shards found in solved light puzzles. The game has a total of 40 for you to find which is not difficult. You can use them to unlock the extras which are an arcade mode, puzzles and cheats. Arcade mode lets you play the same levels again but this time the old way only jump and one breath attack. The rest of the mechanics are the same as in the story mode. After every level you get points for time used and accuracy. In the end there is a scoreboard for those who need it. Then there are the extra puzzles which are again light crystal puzzles. Solve all puzzles in both section to gain another 20 white shards to unlock the cheats. They are the typical cheats like god mode, heaving all skills or fun cheats like replacing spyro with cynder ( at last what goes for 3d-view ). More than that there is not to see in this section.

Is there lag? Yep, on one place there is ( at last in my playthrough it has been this way ). In the first mission on the ice hill the game crawls nearly to a halt. In all other places the game is playing fluid though. Not sure what they cranked up in that one there.

Even the few movie sequences and RPG style cut scenes can not improve the game and the extras are not really worth the time except for the puzzles but there a game only about them would be more interesting. Difficulty is ridiculous as you only have to stick to the lightning shield to be invulnerable for fully 6 seconds. I would give this one maybe 6/10 ( hence "for fans only" ).

Finally...
A big bad dragon fully pitch black,
Can you get more stereotype than that?

CY

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Dragonlord for the excellent review.
bow.gif

I actually want to play this one, I don't mind if it's short and easy. I need a game like that once in a while.

I hope the baddass Spyro is a one shot deal though. I agree with many, I'm used to the nice dragon.
Shadow1w2 mentioned a remake of the original. I'd looove that and I'd hope the DS was powerful enough to do it, but maybe I'm asking too much there. I thought when the DS came out we'd be done with the 2D and isometric versions of 3D games...

Oh and the box art immediately brought this to mind:
spyrometal.jpg

Oh, for his younger days, when the dragons were sweet and sheep were scared!

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Haha... got to laugh about this boxart.

"Bad-ass Spyro" is in fact a bit the wrong word. He's simply looking "strange". The 3D view shows the old spyro in the shape we know him but the player icon and the 2D cutscene avatar of him has a new style... a strange style. I can't screenshot from off my DS ( somebody should write once a screenshot homebrew to do that, but that ain't me... too busy
biggrin.gif
) as otherwise you would see. He looks there a bit "gnome-ish" somehow. But the most mean part is that Cynder by herself I like much more than Spyro... I mean... hey you have to love a black chibbi draggi with such a nice marking on the head and an integrated tin opener on the tail-tip ( roflcopter ). I really hope they make her "playable" in some later installment ^.=.^

asher

^ Liar
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
cooler:uncooler to me

I miss the ol´ Spyro who only want to help creatures.
frown.gif

todo se parece a su amo

even if insomniac left spyro to other guys...

theyre doing the same...

im gonna buy a ps3 on day 1 but im not buying
resistance because gears of war its going out the same week.

i would totally prefer a ps3 ratchet and clank on launch than
that fps...(even if i dont know if its good or bad trailers and
gameplay seems pretty standart to me)

fl0PPsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I cant seem to get this to work on the G6L either. tried SAFE mode which gets the game to load but then the backgrounds cant be seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...