^^ndstitle-1120^^

HR_Shadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF3 will rock. i just hope the M3 team is able to fix the DS browser. i'm the type of person who'd use it mainly for forums and email on the go, so I shouldn't have to much trouble with the loading and all.

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you haul your desktop computer to school? Can you bring it to the airport? To starbucks? To bubble tea? To McDonald's? It's all about connectivity. Of course nothing beats internet on a regular desktop PC ... but it's always nice to be able to get on the internet at wi-fi hotspots.

Well, I have a laptop. So yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Of course, I never pay for WiFi access at places such as McDonalds. If I wanted WiFi at a restaurant, I'd go to Burger King, which has free WiFi. Also, I still don't want to carry my laptop everywhere, which would probably entail wearing a backpack everywhere. I can go without web browsing for a while though.
wink.gif

Also, my 75 mhz computer running K-Meleon under Windows 95 apparently renders pages faster than the DS Browser.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the reason why the DS browser is so slow is the 30KB download limit(if used incorrectly, and since its Opera it probably is) and the (probable)fact that it writes its RAM to the GBA slot to free it for incoming webpages which I imagine is painstaking on the 66mhz DS processor(+ whatever is left of the 33mhz after using wifi)

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I have a laptop. So yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Of course, I never pay for WiFi access at places such as McDonalds. If I wanted WiFi at a restaurant, I'd go to Burger King, which has free WiFi. Also, I still don't want to carry my laptop everywhere, which would probably entail wearing a backpack everywhere. I can go without web browsing for a while though.Â
wink.gif

Also, my 75 mhz computer running K-Meleon under Windows 95 apparently renders pages faster than the DS Browser.
Maybe so but it still doesn't beat the points I made earlier.

Also if you get 20+ business e-mails per day, you'll appreciate it when you need to check your e-mail quickly while on the move. Imagine going away for a few weeks and then coming back to find you have to deal with 2000+ messages which you could have quickly replied to.

A PDA might be good like Corbs said but, you're not paying the premium here for basic web browsing.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
With the slow load times, I don't think I'll bother much with this. By the time a website loads, I'll be doing other things (eating, leaving, playing a game). Hopefully, Nintendo will fix this issue before it comes to the USA/UK and we can enjoy a better browsing experience.

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, having this would be nice. I just don't think it's worth paying $20-30 for. I'd probaly use it if it were free.

It would be nice if it included a faster but less accurate mode. Perhaps turning off CSS rendering and images? Can you disable CSS in the browser?

jayminer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IIRC, the Opera webbrowser on cellphones uses a Opera proxy that does the conversion of images to fit on the small screen. Isn't it possible that the same is done on the DS, and part of the slow loading times is due to the fact that this server in the case of the Japanese release is located in Japan and maybe even overloaded now in the launchdays?

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think so. I think it's mainly due to the DS using f*cking slow speeds of 1-2 Mbit for Wifi transfer. I also recall reading somewhere that the DS browser is not related to the phone version and does not use a proxy.
OK, having this would be nice. I just don't think it's worth paying $20-30 for. I'd probaly use it if it were free.

It would be nice if it included a faster but less accurate mode. Perhaps turning off CSS rendering and images? Can you disable CSS in the browser?
There is a button to turn off images.

whitedot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice idea, but it's got some convincing to do before I think about buying it. I wanted it to be much quicker than my old PSP.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I don't understand why there isn't any flash/java support, seems kind of retarded. I mean, I know the browser is slow as shit as it is, just seems like lazy programming to me.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I don't understand why there isn't any flash/java support, seems kind of retarded. I mean, I know the browser is slow as shit as it is, just seems like lazy programming to me.

Dude, the DS has a 66 Mhz processor. How do you plan to make Flash work with that?
huh.gif

It's called optimization. Regardless of the DS's limitations, it can do flash. Look at the visual quality of some of the games, and you tell me it can't do flsah?
nds.gif

shado blackstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Flash is inherantly shittily optimised. My 733Mhz computer, which can run about PS2 level games in terms of graphical quality, can't run the FFIII website worth shit. Seriously.

No optimisation is going to make a DS browser do any better.

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
i think there are other reasons why no java/flash

1. (i think this has more to do rather than the cpu, it;s) RAM ppl.. RAM... most java = memory hog, as do flash...
2. they prolly dun want ppl to play java/flash games... they want to sell the games.. look at brain training/sudoku kind of games, those games can be easily done in flash..
3. flash is a 3rd party apps... they (browser developer) dont release the the plugin, macromedia does...

and the weird part: no java but ajax works?? i think someone mention that digg works rite? which suppose to mean meebo works... hey, i'm all for it..

oh, for psp owners.. u guys like browsing on psp? i just cant see myself browsing without pointing device... the only thing i use my cell phone for browsing is to check sports scores, but even that, i put the site as my homepage... so i only need to scroll.. even that, phone is much better for browsing/email than a psp -- aside from the screen that is.. t9 (heck, even multitap) is much faster than going up n down for a letter (i assume that's how u type on psp)...

Thorisoka

Trophies
Website
www.nintendojofr.com
XP
Country
France
i think there are other reasons why no java/flash

1. (i think this has more to do rather than the cpu, it;s) RAM ppl.. RAM... most java = memory hog, as do flash...
2. they prolly dun want ppl to play java/flash games... they want to sell the games.. look at brain training/sudoku kind of games, those games can be easily done in flash..
3. flash is a 3rd party apps... they (browser developer) dont release the the plugin, macromedia does...

or simply... java itself is a language that needs to install a runtime environment to run programs and, IIRC, JRE itself takes many MB to be installed and run on a machine (i only use JDK, don't remember well for JRE but it was something like 50mo), which would dramatically increase the size of the rom, AND, as you said, will take all the RAM you may have proportionally.

Well, that makes too many arguments against java and flash to be built in, unfortunately :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto