NDSL fast battery drain after housing switch

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ynthrepic, Jul 21, 2010.

Jul 21, 2010
  1. ynthrepic
    OP

Newcomer ynthrepic Newbie

New Zealand
    Hi there,

I recently replaced the housing of a friend's NDSL and now their battery life seems to drain at an extremely fast rate. I've tried switching batteries with my own NDSL and there is no difference.

I had this same problem the first time I replaced my machine's housing, and it seems to coincide with speaker crackle. The second time I replaced the housing there is no crackle and battery life is normal.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem? Any ideas on how I might fix it?

Cheers, David

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Usual cause here is a short somewhere which is bad for all concerned (as well as draining quickly you are probably also drawing big currents which is not good)- as well as running down quickly does the battery heat up quite a bit?

Speakers could mean a few things but as they are noted it is probably worth looking at them and their circuitry.

3. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Another thing - although this IS a bit of a rareity.

Did you tighten the screws too tight ??? - although not really known on the DS, but I have known that too tight fixing screws can compress the cct board & can cause problems

4. ynthrepic
    OP

New Zealand
    Hmm maybe they are too tight. As I said before I did have this problem with another DS, so I was hoping there was a common problem. It appears to be aggravated when i swivel the screen, which makes me think it could have something to do with the mic (but the mic is working fine.. tested it with brain age).

I guess I'll be giving the damn thing a disassemble again, and this time ease up on the screws, and do things carefully and tidily.

One thing I have done differently is I have both the Mic and Wifi cables running under the Slot 1 bay, though I did this in my working DS as well, and no worries,

Still looking for ideas though... If this has happened to me twice in a row surely it's a common problem ?!

5. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I've the same problem, and my speakers are crackling too... My batterys lasts only 2hrs. without charging :/

6. ynthrepic
    OP

New Zealand
    I'm going to pull it apart now, and investigate.

Come on, there must be someone out there who has figured it out!!! lol

7. ynthrepic
    OP

New Zealand
    Ok, I figured it out. On the upper screen, the red cable of the right speaker was wedged under the small circuit ribbon protruding from the side of the screen itself - this was really subtle. I un-wedged it (didn't need to unthread the screen) and it seemed to get rid of the crackling, but now I've rooted the cable connecting the touch screen... lol. Damn these things!

8. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Is the battery problem fixed with that ? I'm not very excited about unmounting my DS again...

9. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    Argh I have the same problem with my stupid speakers [​IMG] but I'm afraid if I open it again it would just break and fail to load as this happened to me once my DS Lite, it would not turn on and then a miracle happened, it turned on I don't know why it happened like that