NDSL disassembly/reassembly guide

StupidMario

Trophies
XP
Country
excellent guide thieves- i was dreading doing this case swap but i took my time today and followed your most excellent guide and now im the proud owner of a B-E-A-UTIFUL brand new looking shiny black DS LITE
gbasp.gif

I wont say everything went smooooth like and i did have a few hairy moments but all in all i found your guide straightforward and easy to follow so thanks buddy

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I have encountered a missing part of this tutorial, with the DealExtreme replacement case it comes shipped with a replacement coloured band for both screens. This tutorial does not cover the installation of these, any ideas?

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mayhem366 said:
I have encountered a missing part of this tutorial, with the DealExtreme replacement case it comes shipped with a replacement coloured band for both screens. This tutorial does not cover the installation of these, any ideas?
step 21 shows how to remove the top display from the frame. the top display shield is held in place by a black double-sided sticky frame that can be easily removed (with care). simply split the display shield away from double-sided sticky frame making sure not tear it.

during re-assembly you will need to make sure that you are working in a dust-free environment prior to applying the new screen shield (otherwise you'll end up with particles trapped between the display and the shield). I tend to apply the double-sided frame to the back side of the inner top frame and then apply the display to the frame to ensure that everything is properly in place. however, this leaves the display's surface exposed, so you need to take care and not touch it, otherwise you'll end up with fingerprints.

the lower display frame is sticky backed, which is how it is affixed to the touch screen. you will need to carefully separate the frame from the touch screen without separating (and thereby damaging) the 2 layers of the touch screen. affixing the replacement lower frame is pretty straightforward once the system has been re-assembled.

the reason why I didn't include swapping either the [upper] shield and the [lower] frame is the number of things that can go wrong if you don't take your time. I've actually destroyed 2 touch screens due to the strength of the glue used to hold the frame in place.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I have gone without this step at the moment and left my green frame on it. I have a problem now though, i think i have busted my wifi. Local play still works but i cannot connect to my access point.
During disassembly i managed to pull the metal clip off of the top of the wifi wire but managed to push it back on again a little. Should i take it out and try and resolder it?

Also i broke my microphone
frown.gif

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you've busted the ends off of both wires, your best bet is to purchase a dead (but intact) system and vulture it for the parts that you need. I'm not quite if its just a single lead or if either of them also have a ground running inside the insulation.

and unfortunately, my bag of spare parts only has one wi-fi antenna in it and no microphone leads, otherwise I'd offer you the pair for a few dollars.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not that worried about the microphone, i think i know why that is bust.
Couldn't get the rubber bit in (tried for about an hour) so i thought that if i trimmed it then it would go in easier, ended up trimming a hole in it so it was no longer a cylinder shape :S
Had to glue it in. Whoops.

Does local play and wifi use the same thing? The wifi antennae?

DSFan08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what would really make this guide even better? A VIDEO TUTORIAL VERSION!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

And approximately how long did it take you (the make of the guide) to dissemble and then reassemble the entire thing? 2 hours? 4 hours? 6?

Also, is there such a thing as a #00 Philips (+) Screwdriver?

RrAaCcOoOoNn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used this guide to help me replace my DS game slot-1
i got it all together and what-not but my touchscreen wasn't working, then now it doesn't even stay on. When i turn it on it has the green light for about 5-10 secs and then shuts down. So im stuck with a "non-responsive" touchscreen and it wont stay on.

Is there anyway to fix those problems?

P.S. GREAT GUIDE!

Magnifico

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide.

What a learning experience my first time has been... trying to fix a broken hinge (which I did), and now upon reassembly I have ended up with a stripped screw in the PCB, an upper screen that isn't working, and a touch screen that isn't working =(. The stripped screw makes it very hard (nigh impossible) to troubleshoot.

Guess I may just have to get that DSi... I'll miss my GBA games =(

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSFan08 said:
You know what would really make this guide even better? A VIDEO TUTORIAL VERSION!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

And approximately how long did it take you (the make of the guide) to dissemble and then reassemble the entire thing? 2 hours? 4 hours? 6?

Also, is there such a thing as a #00 Philips (+) Screwdriver?there are plenty of videos on youtube already (which is why I've never bothered to take the time to make one. it normally takes me about an hour to perform a complete swap (but then again, I'm pretty ADD about it and in no hurry. there is a link in the guide for the 00 philips (+) screwdriver near the bottom of the guide. that's the one that I use.

RrAaCcOoOoNn said:
I used this guide to help me replace my DS game slot-1
i got it all together and what-not but my touchscreen wasn't working, then now it doesn't even stay on. When i turn it on it has the green light for about 5-10 secs and then shuts down. So im stuck with a "non-responsive" touchscreen and it wont stay on.

Is there anyway to fix those problems?

P.S. GREAT GUIDE!usually, if the system powers ups and then shuts down, it's due to the connector for the top display not being inserted correctly, however I've not heard of ones that stay lit for over a second of two before shutting down. as far as your touch screen goes, did you change the frame around it? if so, it's possible that you separated the touchscreen layers and inadvertantly ruined it. otherwise, I would check to make sure that you plugged in the flexible cable for it correctly.

QUOTE(Magnifico @ May 17 2009, 06:47 AM)
Thanks for the guide.

What a learning experience my first time has been... trying to fix a broken hinge (which I did), and now upon reassembly I have ended up with a stripped screw in the PCB, an upper screen that isn't working, and a touch screen that isn't working =(. The stripped screw makes it very hard (nigh impossible) to troubleshoot.

Guess I may just have to get that DSi... I'll miss my GBA games =(
see my response for RrAaCcOoOoNn since it appears that he had similar issues.

NightKry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I tried swapping cases, and all went well except my DS flashes onces and then shuts off instantly (like mentioned in troubleshooting). I've checked the cables, and they all appear to be attached properly.

What should I do? Buy a new top screen LCD and repair it? Why would it be broken (it doesn't have any creases or anything...)?

Thanks
=(

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NightKry said:
Well, I tried swapping cases, and all went well except my DS flashes onces and then shuts off instantly (like mentioned in troubleshooting). I've checked the cables, and they all appear to be attached properly.
fixed via our pm conversation. now for you to try and remedy your other issues based on my last response.

summer offer:
now, until the end of august, I will be willing to perform case mods for the low, low economic stimulus price of just 2usd!!

you supply the ds lite (100% working or in the worse case scenario, with a broken hinge), replacement case, return shipping costs and an additional 2usd and I will case mod your ds lite and ship it back to you (turn around time is usually overnight).

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cheers! Just swapped cases on my broken hinge DS, using your guide. Everything works like it should, other then the facct that the inner working isn't fitting in the new shell 100% but it's to be expected.

My problems lies in that now when i play my sound is low as hell, as if the speakers where flipped facing the wrong way or something, but i'm not sure i wanna disassemble the whole DS again just to check. Could it be that the Case itself makes the sound really low?

It was a pain the in the but to screw together again and might go insane if i actually have to open the whole crap up again.

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zane:
can you provide a photo of your ds lite opened? I can easily assess if you've inserted the speakers backwards. additionally, when you state that it doesn't fit together correctly, are you talking about the top or bottom sections?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: