Hacking NDS Lite case + screen protector recommendations!

Nalif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to get the invisible shield but I'm afraid I'll screw up the installation, is there any videos/pictures/guides of someone installing to to anything so I can see how easy/hard it is

Also, how hard/easy is it to install the Hori ones?

I ordered the invisible shield kit because I was impressed with their videos and their warranty and had nothing but problems with them. The first problem I ran into was that the protectors were cut improperly - they left a portion of the top screen completely unprotected. The second was the installation method - they give you a spray bottle of liquid to coat your hands and screen with. Due to how soft the material is, you can't install it as easily as traditonal screen protectors - you actually have to handle the shield and slide it around to get it to fit properly. Due to being handled so much during the installation, there were fingerprints that were very visible on the underside of the protector. I have no idea why they make you use a liquid to install it, but it doesn't work well.

I contacted Shield Zone about the improper cut and the odd installation instructions, and they offered to send me a replacement if I would pay to ship the origionals back, and also pay to have the new ones shipped. It's not an unreasonable offer, but these are screen protectors - they're supposed to be cheap, and they should be cut correct to begin with. I already paid 15 bucks for two small sheets of plastic - to pay shipping both ways for a replacement due to an error on their part would increase the cost of the shields by over 40%, which is just too much for shields for the DS. I'm not paying that when the next shipment could be cut improperly as well. So I got a refund and bought another set of JavoEdge's.

I've tried several protectors over the years, and I'd have to say JavoEdge is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the others. I origionally started using JavoEdge with my phat DS, and the protectors worked so well that when I got my lite, I just removed them and put them on my lite. They left no residue behind, are completely washable and reuseable and they dont' scratch. Much easier to use than this shield zone junk.

JavoEdge

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FierceDeityLink1 - What's the point of the invisible shield for a DS... it doesn't cover the whole DS so parts are going to get scratched anyways. Judging by the videos the finish doesn't look all that great to touch... I imagine it being rather rough and 'uneven' if that makes sense... can anyone who had used these tell me how good the finish feels?

Also suppose you dropped the machine out of your pocket... a fatal several foot fall to concrete would be enough if you were unfortunate to break your DS... invisible shield isn't going to protect it from say a broken hinge, smashed up shoulder buttons or damage internally from the impact of a fall.

If you want to carry your DS lite around in your pocket wouldn't something like a slip case be a much simpler and cheaper alternative... that's what I had for my phat DS and there are no markings to the unit at all.

For my DS lite when I get it I'm gonna get a Hori compact pouch because they look f'ing awesome.

As for screen protectors people... why bother with them?! I really don't see the point of them... yes I have a few scratches on my touch screen but you have to be under a light to see them and you certainly can't see anything when the thing is switched on.

Finally I don't know about over in the UK but I heard warranties with EB in the US cost as little as $20 for something quite reasonable like a year if not more. Now whilst you have a warranty with Nintendo, with these EB warranties they will replace the system for you (not refurbish) for any reason, so I hear. So if your DS has some scratches you could trade it in and get a new one. If you damage your DS you could get a new one. Heck you could destroy the machine right infront of the employees eyes and apparently they'd have to replace the machine for you. Sounds like a good deal IMO... though I actually take care of my stuff so I never have anything to worry about xD.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just installed my Hori lite protectors. They went on alright, but trying to get the screens absolutely clean beforehand was practically impossible. No matter how I used compressed air or wiped the screens with the supplied cloth there was always something left. So I just went for it and they went on real easy. If there was something underneath causing a bubble I would just pull it back and use some masking tape to get rid of whatever was the problem. They're on now and they are invisible. The screens look as good as before. There are a couple bits of dust or something under one of them but it doesn't show up when the ds is on and I can always try to get it out later if I really want to. I don't feel like going through the hassle again right now. I tried pulling the shield back up with a piece of tape after it was applied and it wouldn't move, so that's going to be tricky to peel off if I ever try. Anyway, if you can get your screens clean this product is really awesome. I got it for $8 CAD total on eBay from Hong Kong.

Redux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any experts out there know where I can get my mits on something like this?

PA.53120.001.jpg

PA.53121.001.jpg

"A good case if you just want to stick the DS into your pocket (although it'd have to be a rather large pocket). The case is made of polyester, nylon and plastic. The outside of the case has a plastic-leather kind of look and feel, slightly glossy and textured. The inside is soft and smooth. You can tighten the mouth of the case using the rope/knot (visible in photo) or you can remove it entirely if you don't like it. A great alternative for people that hate noisy velcro or are scared of zippers scratching their case. It's a great case for this intended purpose. However, it has trouble sliding in and out if you have the Rakuna (Comfortable) Touch Pen to the back of your DS. Still, it'll slide in if you're careful about it."
Source: http://www.play-asia.com/

Preferably for the DS Lite.
Even something upcoming would save me from resorting to ones made for sunglasses.
laugh.gif

wuggle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just thought I'd add these photos below of a case I picked up from Dick Smith Powerhouse here in Australia for AUS$9.95... it is probably technically for the DS rather than the Lite but my lite fits in there quite snugly and securely and at least allows me to leave my M3 plugged into it. For AUS$9.95 I think it was a bargain based on what else I could find in the Australian shops... and from Powerhouse of all places! I never expect to get a bargain there...

nsbag1.jpg

nsbag2.jpg

Nightstalker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want to get the invisible shield but I'm afraid I'll screw up the installation, is there any videos/pictures/guides of someone installing to to anything so I can see how easy/hard it is

I've tried several protectors over the years, and I'd have to say JavoEdge is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the others. I origionally started using JavoEdge with my phat DS, and the protectors worked so well that when I got my lite, I just removed them and put them on my lite. They left no residue behind, are completely washable and reuseable and they dont' scratch. Much easier to use than this shield zone junk.

JavoEdge
Which one should I get then Anti-Glare or Ultra-Clear?

Nalif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

JavoEdge
Which one should I get then Anti-Glare or Ultra-Clear?

My first purchase was an anti-glare. My Ultra-Clears are on the way for the lite, so I can't vouch for them. The anti-glare screen protectors have a slight matte finish to them to diffuse light - I'm assuming the ultra clear ones will be glossy and more prone to glare. So the decision is up to you - the anti-glare ones are slightly tinted, so they will effect your display, but all screen protecters do to some degree. I'm very happy with the anti-glare. If you'd like to hold off until I get the ultra-clear, I'll let you know which I prefer.

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll use hori screen protector.. ah but it havent arrive.. thank to paypal.. O,o.. i got it for 10 AU (ebay).. (include shipping) ^^..
hope it will be as good as I expected..

For the case.. ill get smart case from keys factory =D.. yea it does looks like a purse but since im a female that wont be a problem.. O,o somehow i think it match my white ds lite perfectly.. XP make it ever sexier

mxlaser

Trophies
XP
Country
I HIGHLY recommend EXiM screen protectors. By far, and easily the best protectors you'll use. Leaps and bounds above the Hori prtoectors, so easy to install, almost pefect (99%) clarity through them and you dont notice they are on. Reduces UV from LCD, reduces glare, so easy and bubble free to apply and best of all, wash easy and apply easy... so no messing them up, getting dust under them and living with it etc...

aegis2k

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the EXIM quality. I have their iPod protectors and the set comes with protection for the screen, and for the unit's back and front as well. I was a bit dissapointed to know their kit only covers the Lite's screen. I would have loved to have at least an outside top cover protection from them... My ipod looks like new, and I have not seen any diminish in quality from the EXIM film for a year now.

Also is worth noting that the EXIM film does NOT uses glue to attach itself. It is a static cling created by mysterious dwarves of the underworld, so you can remove em to wash and re-apply. And boy, they DO CLING HARD...

So: EXIM = GOOOOOOOOD

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried a few different protectors, and I can never get them on properly. I tried compressed air, tape, ect... to get all the dust off, but I can never get it perfect enough. Finally gave up on them
tongue.gif

Nightstalker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I HIGHLY recommend EXiM screen protectors. By far, and easily the best protectors you'll use. Leaps and bounds above the Hori prtoectors, so easy to install, almost pefect (99%) clarity through them and you dont notice they are on. Reduces UV from LCD, reduces glare, so easy and bubble free to apply and best of all, wash easy and apply easy... so no messing them up, getting dust under them and living with it etc...
Know a good place to buy them? Google didn't come up with much...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.