Hacking NDS Lite case + screen protector recommendations!

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Title says it all.

While waiting impatiently for my DS-Lite, I would love to get some recommendations on screen protectors + cases for the DS lite?

Is there a universally known "best" brand/model in each of these categories? Thanks!

ovejon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have hori screen protector for my regular ds but I'm not sure if they will fit for the ds lite. If they do, I recommend you get them cuz they are considered to be one of the best screen protector. As for case, I can't help you there
frown.gif

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've read that Hori is the best, and they have a version specifically for the Lite that I ordered on eBay for $8 CAD including shipping, pretty good deal. Hope it arrives before my DS!

DevilCrash76

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have already purchased the 'Hori' screen protectors (www.lik-sang.com) and i am very satisfied with them. this product is especially made for the ds lite.

ndslite-lc-filter.jpg

I will buy a pouch in the next days (i think i will order at www.lik-sang.com again).
I will have to choose one of those two models (both from 'Hori'), whereas i slightly prefer the compact model, because
my m3 will fit in the bag designed for a gba cartridge.

'Hori' compact pouch
23.jpg

'Hori' multi pouch
17.jpg

DevilCrash76

darkandlong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After reading up on screen protectors, I decided to pass on one. Its a pain to keep the dust out, and the touchscreen isn't as responsive apparently. A lot of posts here from those not using protectors say their screens still look mint after lots of usage.

As for the case... I'm looking for one myself. I wouldn't mind one that holds my flashcart, mini SD card and my AC adapter. Not sure I want an Ice Blue one to match my case though. May go with black.

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply darkandlong.

I was just about to order both the Hori and the screen protector, too.

I'll wait till I hear more about it

forkyfork

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will have to choose one of those two models (both from 'Hori'), whereas i slightly prefer the compact model, because
my m3 will fit in the bag designed for a gba cartridge.

Are you positive about this devilcrash? I have an m3-lite and I wa wondering the same thing. It's the only thing that's making me think twice about buying it.

YodaJM

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ordered the Hori Screen Protector Lite and the Hori Multi Pouch Lite. I kinda like the compact one but I have an M3 CF so there would be no room for it in the compact one.

I also have the original Hori Multi Pouch for the phatty and I've been really happy with it.

As for the screen, no touch screen will remain "flawless" after being used. While it is pretty tough to make noticeable scratches, I am willing to bet everoyones DS (without screen protectors) has lots of tiny scratches/scuffs. These aren't really noticeable unless specifically looking for them at an angle under a light. And while playing a game they can't be seen at all.

My original DS has a bunch of the small scuffs, so I figured this time I'll give the screen protector a try.

Just 1 more week for the DS, and hopefully the same for my package from Play-Asia

M3LV1N

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any cases like the Logitech Playgear Pocket for the PSP. My brother has one and I have to say its probably the best case for the PSP. It doesn't get in the way and provides good protection. You can play with it while the case is on.

DevilCrash76

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also would die for this case from Australia ... as the design is pretty nice.

DSLitecase.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread ...

I wrote a mail to the people of xo works at end of april when this case will be avaible ...

"Thanks for your email. At the moment, we only have samples of the ds wallet.
They will be available about mid June."

DevilCrash76

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not a fan of that DSLite wallet case, it would look like you were carrying around a purse.
Agreed. The less it looks like a purse, the better. I opted for this case:
nds-lite-airform-white.jpg

It's small and protective, and has pockets for DS and GBA games. You can even use the elastic strap inside to keep the DS Lite inside the case while playing it, but I haven't bothered doing that.

Also, I bought the Hori DS Lite screen protectors when I got my Lite. I put them on very carefully and exactly as described, and they both still had air bubbles underneath that I just couldn't get rid of. They don't fully cover the screens either; there is a small space all the way around the outside and it looks really silly if you can't center them perfectly. I peeled them off and never looked back.

I have been using my Lite daily for over two months and have absolutely no desire to get a screen protector kit. It just doesn't need it. Besides, the actual screen surface is underneath the plastic screen cover; the screens already technically have screen protectors on them. No point in getting a screen protector protector, know what I mean? I only have the tiniest little scratches (which all DS/GBA screens inevitably get) and you simply cannot see them when the backlight is on, no matter how hard you try.

My advice? Don't waste your money on a screen protector kit.

forkyfork

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of that DSLite wallet case, it would look like you were carrying around a purse.
Agreed. The less it looks like a purse, the better. I opted for this case:
nds-lite-airform-white.jpg

It's small and protective, and has pockets for DS and GBA games. You can even use the elastic strap inside to keep the DS Lite inside the case while playing it, but I haven't bothered doing that.

Also, I bought the Hori DS Lite screen protectors when I got my Lite. I put them on very carefully and exactly as described, and they both still had air bubbles underneath that I just couldn't get rid of. They don't fully cover the screens either; there is a small space all the way around the outside and it looks really silly if you can't center them perfectly. I peeled them off and never looked back.

I have been using my Lite daily for over two months and have absolutely no desire to get a screen protector kit. It just doesn't need it. Besides, the actual screen surface is underneath the plastic screen cover; the screens already technically have screen protectors on them. No point in getting a screen protector protector, know what I mean? I only have the tiniest little scratches (which all DS/GBA screens inevitably get) and you simply cannot see them when the backlight is on, no matter how hard you try.

My advice? Don't waste your money on a screen protector kit.

Hey, I am seriously considering getting that same case. Can you tell me how thick it is? Will it fit in my purse, reasonably? Will it fit in a pocket?

gryto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
No, it doesn't technically have a screen protector on it, since touchscreens have to have two layers to function.
As long as you're carefull putting on the screen protector, it will not be noticeable while you're playing at all. The area around the screen protector is meant for easy application and removal.

I use brando ultra clear screen protector myself. I've had it on for about 7 months and it's still going strong. At least I won't have to get the screen replaced if it somehow gets a major scratch.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I am seriously considering getting that same case. Can you tell me how thick it is? Will it fit in my purse, reasonably? Will it fit in a pocket?
It will fit in a purse or a large pocket without much problem. If you have GBA or flash carts inside, it will be thicker (stretches to fit).

It's not much larger than the Lite itself. It's just a little thicker all the way around.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No, it doesn't technically have a screen protector on it, since touchscreens have to have two layers to function.
As long as you're carefull putting on the screen protector, it will not be noticeable while you're playing at all. The area around the screen protector is meant for easy application and removal.

I use brando ultra clear screen protector myself. I've had it on for about 7 months and it's still going strong. At least I won't have to get the screen replaced if it somehow gets a major scratch.
The touch screen does indeed have a protector, the plastic is not the actual surface of the screen itself. The screen surface is underneath, completely protected. It's the same as the GBA and it's replaceable screen cover. You never actually make physical contact with the screens themselves. If you are bold enough to take apart your DS/DS Lite, you will be able to see this.

At most, you would just need to replace the plastic screen covers that are built-in. However, any scratches deep enough to affect the touch sensitivity or be visible with the backlight on would have to be made by something that wouldn't be stopped by 3rd-party protector sheets. They are not very thick, nor resilient. So if you are ever worried about scratches that will affect the screens in any noticable way, those thin sheets aren't going to save your screens anyway, so save your money. Don't waste it like I did.
tongue.gif

gryto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
My point was that the touch screen surface itself is not protected. In fact, I don't have any screen protector on my top screen because I don't believe it's important.
And the problem that I have with less than light scratches is that you can feel them with the stylus - really annoying.
In fact, I got a couple of those once when a piece of sand got under the stylus, but since they were just on the screen protector I got out some toothpaste and smoothed over the surface(toothpaste is slightly corrosive). Doing that on the touch screen surface could prove dangerous later.

Link to brando screen protectors: http://shop.brando.com.hk/
There are two types, regular and ultra clear. The regular have a matte finish, and the ultraclear have a more glossy finish and are more clear than the regular ones.
At the time I bought the brando ones, they were the cheapest of the "elite from the pda world" screen protectors that produced nds ones.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree. i dont think that screen protectors are needed. If you use the stylus, it is bound to make a few scratches, only when you press really hard, or play those pokemon dash games. I know this because the edges of my ds have no scrathes at all..

What annoys me is that when people play on my ds, they clear dust from the screen using the back of their hand. And their nails leave scratches on the screen.
Plus, Ive always feared screen protectors will leave some sort of residue that can never be cleaned off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1