NDS-GBA iPlayer GBA emulator v1.0 released

noppi

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The emulator won't work on my DS lite. Have copied the PLUGIN directory to _SYSTEM and overwrite the existing one. When have started a GBA-Programm, the emulator says: The NDSGBA emulator needs the support of the NDSGBA file system, please ensure it lie in the root directory of SD card. Can anyone tell me, what's wrong ?

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh... my... god...
This is just the kind of thing I was hoping for when the iPlayer was first announced - homebrew that makes use of the extra hardware for other purposes.

This would be a good time to get an iPlayer, since more homebrew which can utilize the extra power will probably come soon.

qwsed

Trophies
XP
Country
Why does he need to release the code? What does the law state in the US? (wich does not apply if he's not from there...)

If he was given the go ahead to edit some code that is copyrighted he does not need to share/show any source code at all. Since the things he edited are his...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChuckBartowski said:
dammit i need an iPlayer... Theyre just too expensive though. I mean $50 and you cant even play commercial roms....
$35 at Dealextreme with free shipping- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26437

Worth it to me if you have the money. This is an amazing thing. But I've seen no indication it IS based off of the VBA source code. If it's based off of VBA though, i wonder what other emulators could be possible on iPlayer. It's said to have processing power similar to the PSP (just raw power, not including 3D hardware). I'm curious as to whether systems like SNES could be possible. DS already has a couple of SNES emulators that play their fair share of games (most at full speed or greater). Genesis was already almost perfect.

Anyways, I don't have an iPlayer. Something to look forward to. It's got a TON of potential. I could get a 3-in-1 for GBA games, but it would have real time save, and the battery dies after a year.

If anyone wants to stress test this thing to see how well it plays games, try some of these demanding games, it'll help us see just how fast this emulator is-

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (32MB and stressful sprite work)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (port of SNES game, but slows down a lot thanks to unoptimized code)
V-Rally 3 (full 3D, probably the most impressive on the system)
Gunstar Super Heroes (stressful special effects like mode7 and sprites everywhere)
Boktai 1-3 (always gave me some trouble on VBA, impressive sprite work)
Golden Sun 1 & 2 (especially 2, which gave a lot of slowdowns in VBA)

Those games I've tried in Visualboy Advance on a laptop with Pentium III 1ghz, 512MB memory, and 16MB Radeon Mobility. They slowed down pretty constantly on VBA, and gave me the most lag of all GBA games, so they should be a good benchmark on how well the iPlayer emulator works. If it can play any of these games at decent speed, i'd be really really impressed. Especially considering this is a preliminary beta release and the thing is bound to get much better with time.

And like I said, I'm VERY intrigued by the potential. GBA is a stressful system for computers, there could probably be other emulators for the card.

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hyperlisk_ said:
Another World said:
this is a port of VBA right? last i checked VBA is protected under the GPL license? so where is the source for this build? he should release it, by law.

-another world
The great thing about laws is that they vary from coutry to country. Not everyone lives in the US.

And if he does live in the US, I'm not sure a port is covered under the GPL, but assuming it is, he would only need to release the source that was taken from VBA, not what he wrote himself.

EDIT: Or I just don't understand the GPL.

Either way, I still commend darkchen for his achievement.
Yeah, thats the case. The GPL says that everything but system library (like kernel32.dll, in Window's case) codes must have a GPL-compatible licence, and that every binary released has to have it's source code released. That's why the LGPL exists.
I don't know if the iPlayer SDK is considered a "system libary", but if it's not, either you violate the GPL (by not releasing iplayer's SDK), or iPlayer's copyright (by releasing it)
If this is really a port of VBA, he cannot (legally) release a binary.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
But I've seen no indication it IS based off of the VBA source code.

From here:
darkchen said:
29-7-2009
More than one week has passed since I have got SDK, and I’was down to the GBA emulator development (in fact it calls migration of VBA) in this period.It almost took all my spare time.
----
Dizzy Doom said:
Yeah, thats the case. The GPL says that everything but system library (like kernel32.dll, in Window's case) codes must have a GPL-compatible licence, and that every binary released has to have it's source code released. That's why the LGPL exists.
I don't know if the iPlayer SDK is considered a "system libary", but if it's not, either you violate the GPL (by not releasing iplayer's SDK), or iPlayer's copyright (by releasing it)
If this is really a port of VBA, he cannot (legally) release a binary.
I'll just copypaste it.

QUOTE(#acekard)
[14:39:44] the guy didn't even got the sdk the right way, what makes you think he will comply with some license?

ACWWFAN

HERP DERP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDC if its a port of what, but this is an amazing piece of work...so glad I have an iPlayer
biggrin.gif
. Now we need NDS emulation for it...
tongue.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
one of the best things that has happened for the ds... i bet someone will now think of playing ds roms but it's still gonna be a challenge to EMULATE it rather than just play it regularly bcz u need dedication like darkchen has (who apparently should be forgiven if he has done something "illegal" as every hacker is a brother of another lol)
i bet u, after this (ds emulator for iplayer), the whole iplayer market will erupt...
i really think tht putting such extra features for the iplayer is the main reason it will sell and not mainly becuz of what the producers apparently made it for (ie. audio and video)
esp. since this is an originally legal content playing hardware, we wont see as many problems as the other carts are facing and we can say it is worth it's money now (still the emu needs a little more work - from vba)

EDIT: I know i am going too far but can anyone tell me what should be the hardware specs of a system to play PSX and N64 games ... and also what is the hardware specs of the psp and what does the n64 require for it to be played on it?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YayMii said:
I know this is only supposed to work on an iPlayer, but has anybody tried using it on another flashcart?

There isn't any point.
wacko.gif

The emulator is coded to work with the iPlayer's file system and integrated hardware, things that no other flashcart shares.

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RupeeClock said:
YayMii said:
I know this is only supposed to work on an iPlayer, but has anybody tried using it on another flashcart?

There isn't any point.
wacko.gif

The emulator is coded to work with the iPlayer's file system and integrated hardware, things that no other flashcart shares.
That's true.
wink.gif
GBA emulation of slot-1 flashcart for Nintendo DS wouldn't be powerful to emulate GBA games. The iPlayer is much powerful than the Nintendo DS/DSi and DS flashcarts.

That emulator is nice though. Excellent work, darkchen!

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks darkchen fro the GBA emulator you sure spent a lot of time you sure spent a lot of time making a nice interface for your emulator and the speed is so much better then flashing a GBA ROM to my EZ-Flash 3in1 each time I want to play a GBA game.

For the people which are having troubles loading the GBA ROMs you should also make sure you are attempting to load them from the "Homebrew" submenu in the DSi Player firmware. If you try to launch a ROM under the "Files" submenu it will just appear as an unknown file type (or at least that was the case for me).

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this sounds like a n00b-ish question... But with the inbuilt nand on the Acekard RPG would it be able to run this app with some modification?

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jackdanielchan said:
I know this sounds like a n00b-ish question... But with the inbuilt nand on the Acekard RPG would it be able to run this app with some modification?
No, it's not. Acekard R.P.G is NOT powerful to emulate GBA games. Only iPlayer can.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jackdanielchan said:

Absolutely not.
NAND is just storage memory and nothing else, it is not RAM, nor is it a processor.

QUOTE(robert91794 @ Sep 19 2009, 12:48 AM) is there any possible way to get this emulator working on othe flash carts?
No.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I met you in my dreams.