Hacking NDS-Gameboy Linkage question and other help needed

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a couple of questions concerning the GBA-NDS linkage funcion.

My brother and I want to start playing Pokémon and we want to collect as much as possible during the holidays.

1.Which is the best way to start about this quest? Which games should I play first and which versions?

2. Also we have different carts at home. We have the following: M3 Lite, M3 DS Real, CycloDS Evolution and EZ 3in1. From what I understand the easiest way to get the NDS-GBA linkage working is using the M3 Lite or M3 DS Real. What hardware would you use and why? Would you rather play GBA games on the M3 Lite or using the M3 DS Real GBA Expansion pack.

3. Also I was wondering if saves from the different carts can be used by eachother. I guess M3 Lite saves can be used by the M3 DS Real right? But can they also be used by the Cyclods? If not is there a way to convert them?

4. I've read that gameboy (color) games can be played using Goomba or Lameboy. Which one has the best compatibility? Do they have the same save file system. For example if I play Link's Awekening can the save file created by Lameboy be used by Goomba and vice versa?

5. Can you link 2 GBA games using 2 DS. How does it work?

6. Is it worth playing NES games on the DS? I want to play the first Zelda games but I'm not sure if it's worth playing them on my DS.

7. Can someone with an M3 Lite help me out with memory cards. I have 3 types of SD cards: 4GB A-Data, 2GB Toshiba MIJ and 1GB MIJ Toshiba. The M3 Lite only works with the 2 GB Toshiba. I have trouble getting the others to work. A-Data doesn't work at all and the 1GB Toshiba works only in NDS mode which is very strange... Do I need to format the cards in a special way or are they just not compatible with the M3 Lite? I'm especially confused with the 1 GB Toshiba which should run as far as I know.

8. Are there any other dpg converters aside from the one bundled with Moonshell. I have some difficulty converting some avi files.

9. Which cart is the easiest to use with the DS Browser?

Thank you in advance for your help!!! I may need more help later.
wink.gif

P.S.: For those wondering we have two NDS Lite (me and my sister) and an original DS (my brother).

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can answer some of your questions:

2. Use the M3 Real for both the GBA and DS games. You can start them as clean roms, and even link them (by pressing Y instead of A to load the GBA game).
I'd rather play games on the M3 Real Expansion Pack. The only problem you'll face is that the RTC won't work. It will on the M3 Lite, but with that you can't link
dry.gif

3. You can't use them directly, but it is possible to convert them. Use http://www.shunyweb.info/

4. Lameboy has the best compatibly. They don't use the same saves; Goomba saves in the GBA save and Lameboy saves them directly on the SD card.

5. No, that's impossible. You have to use the GBA instead.

6. Just try them
wink2.gif
I had a good time playing Super Mario Bros. on my DS.

7. The 4 GB one won't work, as it's either SDHC (which doesn't work on the M3 Lite, exept for media) or non-standard. The 1 GB one should work though. There's a compatibly list here: http://m3wiki.com/index.php/Media_Card/Micro_SD Your card isn't in it though... Try using different ways to format, it might work. You could also load GBA games using start, it works for my otherwhise non-working Sandisk 2 GB.

8. Yes. Try BatchDPG. It rocks.

9. I think that would be the CycloDS Evolution in combination with the EZ 3in1. It should just run when you insert both of them and run the clean rom. The M3 Real will also work, both with the M3 and 3in1. You'll have to patch (either on your PC or onthefly with a tool) though.

I hope I've helped you
smile.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2. Also we have different carts at home. We have the following: M3 Lite, M3 DS Real, CycloDS Evolution and EZ 3in1. From what I understand the easiest way to get the NDS-GBA linkage working is using the M3 Lite or M3 DS Real. What hardware would you use and why? Would you rather play GBA games on the M3 Lite or using the M3 DS Real GBA Expansion pack.
The only ways to migrate pokemans from a flashcart are with the 3-in-1, a patched Diamond or Pearl rom, and any slot 1 flashcart, or the M3 Real and the M3 GBA expansion pack. I've heard that the M3 Lite can be used in place of the M3 GBA expansion, but I don't know if pokemon linkage would work in that case.

3. Also I was wondering if saves from the different carts can be used by eachother. I guess M3 Lite saves can be used by the M3 DS Real right? But can they also be used by the Cyclods? If not is there a way to convert them?
The M3 Real, the CycloDS Evolution and the R4/M3 Simply all use the same save file format (though the Real names them save.0 instead of save.sav). I believe there is an official save converter available that will convert M3 Perfect saves for the M3 Real.

5. Can you link 2 GBA games using 2 DS. How does it work?
No. The DS does not have a link port.

QUOTE(SDDS @ Dec 23 2007, 03:25 AM)
6. Is it worth playing NES games on the DS? I want to play the first Zelda games but I'm not sure if it's worth playing them on my DS.
It is absolutely worth playing NES games on the DS. I played through Zelda 2 on nesDS.

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Awesome! Thank you maikelsteneker and Destructobot that was very helpful and very fast! I really appreciate your help! And also thanks for the links!

4. Lameboy has the best compatibly. They don't use the same saves; Goomba saves in the GBA save and Lameboy saves them directly on the SD card.
So can I for example use Lameboy and Goomba to play the same game on the same card without interference? Will the saves work for both?

I've heard that the M3 Lite can be used in place of the M3 GBA expansion, but I don't know if pokemon linkage would work in that case.

It does. I have tested it myself, and I was able to transfer pokemon using the Pal Park (or whatever it's called).

So I can use the M3 Lite to play GBA games and the M3 Real for DS Games and link them afterwards? If I understand this corectly I think this is ideal! This way my brother and I can both play at the same time. And I can also use the CycloDS if needed.

Is RTC functionality very important? If I play both NDS and GBA games on the M3 Lite will the RTC work for both? Can I afterwards convert the save file to link them on the M3 DS Real?

QUOTE(Destructobot @ Dec 23 2007, 01:45 PM)
It is absolutely worth playing NES games on the DS. I played through Zelda 2 on nesDS.
This is excellent news!

I had much more questions, but I don't remember them right now. I didn't expect you to give me such detailed answers this fast!

Again thanks a bunch!!!
wink.gif
bow.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome! Thank you maikelsteneker and Destructobot that was very helpful and very fast! I really appreciate your help! And also thanks for the links!
You're welcome
wink2.gif
Code:
So can I for example use Lameboy and Goomba to play the same game on the same card without interference?
Yes.
Will the saves work for both?
No. You probably can't even convert them. But I don't see why you'd do that anyway; Lameboy is just better
wink.gif
I've heard that the M3 Lite can be used in place of the M3 GBA expansion, but I don't know if pokemon linkage would work in that case.
It does. I have tested it myself, and I was able to transfer pokemon using the Pal Park (or whatever it's called).
So I can use the M3 Lite to play GBA games and the M3 Real for DS Games and link them afterwards? If I understand this corectly I think this is ideal! This way my brother and I can both play at the same time. And I can also use the CycloDS if needed.
Sure, it would work, but you would have to convert the save. The M3 Real can use the M3 Lite as Expansion Pack, but it will work as an Expansion Pack, not as an M3 Lite. That means that you can not link DS-GBA (using M3 Lite) or that you can not link GBA-GBA (M3 Real). You can, however, convert the save everytime you want to use one of the features.
Is RTC functionality very important?
Well, it's the clock in the games. If you don't need it, RTC isn't important at all
happy.gif
If I play both NDS and GBA games on the M3 Lite will the RTC work for both?
Yes. The M3 Lite has RTC support. And DS games will always work with the clock, because the DS has one built in.
Code:
Can I afterwards convert the save file to link them on the M3 DS Real?
Yes.
This is excellent news!

I had much more questions, but I don't remember them right now. I didn't expect you to give me such detailed answers this fast!

Again thanks a bunch!!!
wink.gif
bow.gif
Haha, that's GBAtemp for you
cool.gif

Edit: ... Is it GBAtemp that's fucking up my quoting?
hate2.gif

Fixed by Sinkhead, I replaced some quote tags with code tags.

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you again maikelsteneker! And don't you worry about the quoting. I was able to read your answers even though it took longer than necessary.
wink.gif

What a great community!!!

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm back with a few more questions. Didn't take too long I guess...

I've been playing Pokémon for a few days and suddenly I realised some things.

1. If I use the M3 Lite can I patch the Pokémon roms with the Game Manager for using the RTS option or the soft reset or does it have to be a clean rom? I have patched my gba roms for RTS and my ds games for soft reset. I was wondering if I must use a clean rom for NDS-GBA linkage. Better start over now than regret later.

2. If I use an original Pokémon DS game can I still link with a slot-2 device? Someone I know actually asked me about this.

3. I was wondering if leaving the M3 lite in the slot-2 is a bad thing? Does it affect the battery in any way? Also is there any way to check the status of the M3 lite internal battery?

4. Can I soft reset when using homebrew applications like emulators?

By the way maikelsteneker I have been experimenting with emulation on DS and indeed lameboy is by far the better choice for playing gameboy and gameboy color games. Goomba and Goomba Color just didn't work very good with the M3 DS Real and M3 lite. I wasn't able to save anything and compatibility is only good with the very popular titles out there. I also managed to run some NES and SNES games and was pretty happy obout the results.

And finally where can I find background images for the m3 lite gba mode (backimg files) because I just found out that you have to use different files for gba and nds mode. I've been looking around on the NDSThemes website but couldn't distinguish between M3 lite nds mode, M3 Lite gba mode, M3 Real and Simply. A good resource would be appreciated because the default skin is just plain ugly.

Again thanks in advance for any help!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fixed by Sinkhead, I replaced some quote tags with code tags.
Ah, thanks, I'll remember that.
I'm back with a few more questions. Didn't take too long I guess...

I've been playing Pokémon for a few days and suddenly I realised some things.

1. If I use the M3 Lite can I patch the Pokémon roms with the Game Manager for using the RTS option or the soft reset or does it have to be a clean rom? I have patched my gba roms for RTS and my ds games for soft reset. I was wondering if I must use a clean rom for NDS-GBA linkage. Better start over now than regret later.
I tried launching some patched roms using my M3 Real and it worked, but others might give you problems... I'd advice using clean roms.
2. If I use an original Pokémon DS game can I still link with a slot-2 device? Someone I know actually asked me about this.
Of course you can link to an original game. Other Slot-2 carts might give you problems though. I think the EZ 3in1 works, and the Ewin Expansion Pack should work too. But I'm not sure, it may not work.
3. I was wondering if leaving the M3 lite in the slot-2 is a bad thing? Does it affect the battery in any way? Also is there any way to check the status of the M3 lite internal battery?
The M3 Lite does use some energy, but I don't think it'll be much. Besides, it uses it for the internal battery, so that's good.
About checking the status: I don't know of any tool that can do that.
4. Can I soft reset when using homebrew applications like emulators?
No. Unless some smart programmer included the Soft Reset function in the homebrew.
By the way maikelsteneker I have been experimenting with emulation on DS and indeed lameboy is by far the better choice for playing gameboy and gameboy color games. Goomba and Goomba Color just didn't work very good with the M3 DS Real and M3 lite. I wasn't able to save anything and compatibility is only good with the very popular titles out there. I also managed to run some NES and SNES games and was pretty happy obout the results.

And finally where can I find background images for the m3 lite gba mode (backimg files) because I just found out that you have to use different files for gba and nds mode. I've been looking around on the NDSThemes website but couldn't distinguish between M3 lite nds mode, M3 Lite gba mode, M3 Real and Simply. A good resource would be appreciated because the default skin is just plain ugly.
I used to have one, but for DS mode only... And I don't know where I got it... I know the default theme is ugly, but I don't really care as I use it only rarely.
Oh, wait, I remember GCTonyHawk7! He is very good at making skins! He made quite a few, and I downloaded them from the M3 website. It has changed quite a lot though, so I don't know if you can still find them...
Again thanks in advance for any help!
You're welcome
smile.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Playing and linking are two different things, and the patches don't affect the save files anyway. Play the games with whatever patches you need, then use clean roms(*) with the same save files for linkage.

(*) Unless you want to migrate from the 3-in-1, in which case you need to patch the DS rom to read the save from the 3-in-1.

2. No. Retail DS Pokemon carts can only link with retail GBA Pokemon carts.

3. Having a cart in slot 2 will use some of the DS's battery power even if you are using the slot 1 cart. I doubt it will affect the M3 Lite's SRAM/RTC battery.

4. Only if it is built in to the homebrew, which it almost never is. The 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool and Moonshell can soft reset on some flashcarts. AFAIK almost no other homebrew supports it.

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@ maikelsteneker & Destructobot:

Thank you so very much for the very fast replies!!!

The linkage with original ds cards is not that important for me. I just felt like asking about it just in case I would need it.

I did a quick search on GCTonyHawk7 and found a wiki with his/her themes and a lot of other background themes.
grog.gif

I still have some homebrew emulator questions if you don't mind:

1. Can you save using Goomba (Color) because when I was experimenting with it the other day I could not keep my saves. I could save the states and load them but was unable to save them to sram if I recall correctly. Every time I rebooted my ds the saves would just be gone. Did I do something wrong or is there no way of keeping your saves. I did the testing on the M3 DS Real and used the most recent software version I think. I'm interested in this because some games do run perfectly on goomba while they have no sound in lameboy.

2. Will homebrew emulators run better on some carts or does the cart used have no influence on the compatibility?

3. I now have emulators for NES (nesDS), SNES (SNEmulDS) and gameboy color (Goomba/Lameboy). Any others you would recommend? Or any other homebrew in general that you consider essential for any ds homebrew user?

As always thanks in advance! You people are great!
wink.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. When you say save states work, are you talking about the M3's save states or Goomba's save states? (Actually, I don't remember if Goomba even has save states) In-game saves should work.

Try running Goomba from the M3 Lite instead of the Real.

2. Some emulators take advantage of the RAM in some slot 2 carts to improve performance. Other than that they usually either run or they don't, there isn't a significant performance difference.

3. Go to http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/, scroll down, and look for "Emulators 4 DS". ( the site is down right now, try it later)

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1. When you say save states work, are you talking about the M3's save states or Goomba's save states? (Actually, I don't remember if Goomba even has save states) In-game saves should work.

I'm aware that the M3 has built-in emulator functionality but I used the most recent version thinking that would be just fine. I read somewhere that the one included with the M3 is an older version. I'll try using the built-in M3 functionality next time.

Here is what I did with the Goomba (Color) versions I downloaded myself:

I was experimenting with The Legend of Zelda, Link's Awekening DX.

I created a save slot but when I rebooted my ds the save slot was empty as if I never saved.

Afterwards I was looking through the menu and saw the options save state, load state and save to sram. I was able to save a state and load it. The save to sram options could not be accessed. So I tried creating a new save slot and then create a save state. I reboot my ds and the saves were gone again.

If I have some time I'll be trying it out later today or tomorrow on the m3 lite and also try using the built-in emulator functionality. I'll try using goomba in gba and nds mode. Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious... Do I need to patch the games? With Goomba some software called Goombafront is included. Should I use that for anything?

Anyway Goomba seems like a real hassle compared to Lameboy so maybe I should just be satisfied with Lameboy.
happy.gif

Btw thanks for the link!

Thanks in advance!

SDDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I did some more testing earlier today and it turns out that the built-in emulators provided with the M3 lite and DS Real even though they might be outdated versions work fine. I was able to use saves.

Btw I managed to install some cool skins on my M3 lite and also found some sites with very useful homebrew.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

twiztid_clown

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get the original answer for this thread for a long time. So it is possible to link a Pokemon DS and GBA rom together to trade pokemon using the M3 DS Real and those others? Could someone just confirm that for me please in case I've misread.

If that is true, could someone give me instructions on how this is done, I'm very noob at this and I'm still awaiting my M3 DS Real to arrive so I know nothing of how it works, I was going to try and conduct the experiment myself but then I found this thread.

And a question of my own. If I have a REAL gba game and a DS rom (or vice versa) could they still be linked and the pokemon traded?

Thanks for any response.

Brett

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get the original answer for this thread for a long time. So it is possible to link a Pokemon DS and GBA rom together to trade pokemon using the M3 DS Real and those others? Could someone just confirm that for me please in case I've misread.Yes. The M3 Real can do this with the M3 Perfect, M3 Real GBA Pack and Ewin Expansion Pack.
If that is true, could someone give me instructions on how this is done, I'm very noob at this and I'm still awaiting my M3 DS Real to arrive so I know nothing of how it works, I was going to try and conduct the experiment myself but then I found this thread.It's actually very easy: you copy the M3 Real software to your SD-card and make two directories: GBA and NDS. In the directory called GBA you put the GBA rom, in NDS you put the DS rom. Now, you start your M3 Real and choose GBA. Select the rom which you want to link and press Y. Confirm that you want to use NDS-GBA Linkage and the M3 Real will load the GBA rom. When it's ready, you choose your DS rom and start is like normal (just press A and start the game). The roms will be linked now.
And a question of my own. If I have a REAL gba game and a DS rom (or vice versa) could they still be linked and the pokemon traded?DS roms on the M3 Real can be linked with an original game. GBA games can't be linked with an original DS game though.QUOTE(twiztid_clown @ Jan 2 2008, 01:09 PM)
Thanks for any response.

Brett
No problem
smile.gif

twiztid_clown

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. The M3 Real can do this with the M3 Perfect, M3 Real GBA Pack and Ewin Expansion Pack.

So does this mean that to transfer pokemon from a gba rom to a ds rom I need all these products? Or do you just mean with the M3 Real I can do it with the M3 Perfect or the M3 Real GBA Pack or the Ewin?

Thanks alot for the quick reply and great instructions.

ALA5T0R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
maikelsteneker said:
Yes. The M3 Real can do this with the M3 Perfect, M3 Real GBA Pack and Ewin Expansion Pack.
It's actually very easy: you copy the M3 Real software to your SD-card and make two directories: GBA and NDS. In the directory called GBA you put the GBA rom, in NDS you put the DS rom. Now, you start your M3 Real and choose GBA. Select the rom which you want to link and press Y. Confirm that you want to use NDS-GBA Linkage and the M3 Real will load the GBA rom. When it's ready, you choose your DS rom and start is like normal (just press A and start the game). The roms will be linked now

I can make the roms link and I can catch wild pokemons that appear only with the slot-2 game inserted, but I can't use Pal Park.
Anyone knows how?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn