NDS Data Cable?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by qetuo777, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008

NDS Data Cable? by qetuo777 at 10:17 PM (1,553 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. qetuo777
    OP

Newcomer qetuo777 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm officially going nuts! I have bought a USB NDS "Data" cable, which all the adverts in the world (-wide web) claim to "transfer data between NDS and PC" but, i can't get it to work, nohow, and I can't find any help on the web on it. Anyone know if this is possible or else what's the score? Are all these companies selling this either stupid or liars (they can't be both!)? Or is it just me? Help very much appreciated!!

J

2. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    It wont work as a data cable, as the NDS cant transfer anything thru the power input..
    sorry, but you got to get a flashcard if you want to put custom stuff in your DS..

3. Lamp

Newcomer Lamp Newbie

United States
    I dont think any cables let you run custom files on the ds, its probably one of those cables you can use instead of a wireless router to play online games.

4. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    There aint no such cable to play online thru a cable either..

5. Lamp

Newcomer Lamp Newbie

United States
  6. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

He probably bought a USB charger for the Nintendo DS. Plugs into the power port on the DS and USB port on the computer

7. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have one form DX. got it for $3 and has the connection for ds lite and for the ds/GBA-sp. works great for charging the systems off my powered usb hub but thats about all it does. Some companies that sell it will call it a data cable when its just a power cable.

8. qetuo777
    OP

Newcomer qetuo777 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone - you all confirmed my worst fears. You know, I asked the guy who sold me it, and he swears that it works if you "hit the right control button twice...USB should appear on the ds screen". Seems he has a very active imagination....

J

9. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is the guy 15 years old?

10. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    post some info on how we can get ahold of this guy... would love to see what he says to people who know what they are talking about, lol

phone number, email address, anything like that, lol

11. qetuo777
    OP

Newcomer qetuo777 Newbie

United Kingdom

...now that would be TOO evil!! lol

12. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

There's a cheap one on dealextreme, it's a USB charger for DS, but the packaging says usb transfer data cable, but they just got it wrong.

13. qetuo777
    OP

Newcomer qetuo777 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Yes, exaactly....thing is, there are an incredible number of these things for sale out there, all claiming to transfer data, but I'm amazed how little awareness there is that these are being mis-sold this way. Maybe most people just use a microsd card reader. Problem is after a number of card insertions, my spring mechanism on the modCard gave up, and I was hoping to avoid continually taking out the card with the cable solution...

J

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    What it is IS a data transfer cable, but on the DS it will only let you charge your DS, not transfer any data through it. It has all the contacts actually connected with wires, but they won't do anything for a DS besides the charging ability.

My guess is that it WAS originally a data cable for USB devices, but it just has a DS plug put on one end of it and they just continue to call it a "data cable".

It may also be a distinction between regular DS USB charging cables where only the wires necessary for charging the DS are connected as opposed to having ALL the contacts in the plug actually wired up.

15. qetuo777
    OP

Newcomer qetuo777 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Agreed...but a lot (most?) of the ads out there specify data transfer as a feature....I don't think it's such an innocent mistake as an archaic naming continuation.

J

16. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I attribute that to the ignorance of the person who wrote the ad.