nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it dead ?
Nope.
75dc11fab31f40a7973e7f0855db5e65.png

It's not dead people :)

Vahkiti

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I'm having a couple of different issues here. I tried asking Robz8 about it more than once, and he doesn't seem to know what's up, so after trying the forwarder method to rule out some fuckery with TWLoader, I decided to come here given that the bootstrap is the source of the issue and not any specific loader.

Anyways, on my New 3DS, games will always white screen me. I have tried updating everything, doing clean installs, reinstalling all TWL firm CIAs, got fresh roms, messing with settings for both TWLoader and the bootstrap, reformatted my SD card with 32kb cluster size, and nothing has solved the problem. I even updated Luma and messed around with some of its settings with no effect. Everything I load, including games that worked just fine back before I updated to A9LH from Menuhax+EmuNAND no longer function.

Additionally, I CAN get games to load, on one specific 4gb SD card with my old 3DS, however the load times are absurd, even for TWLoader. We're talking not just minute long boot times for the rom, but even longer just going from menu to menu, if it continues on at all. I know for a fact it never did this back when it worked on my New 3DS, so I am at a complete loss as to what the deal is. Same goes for this system in all the troubleshooting methods listed above.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I'm having a couple of different issues here. I tried asking Robz8 about it more than once, and he doesn't seem to know what's up, so after trying the forwarder method to rule out some fuckery with TWLoader, I decided to come here given that the bootstrap is the source of the issue and not any specific loader.

Anyways, on my New 3DS, games will always white screen me. I have tried updating everything, doing clean installs, reinstalling all TWL firm CIAs, got fresh roms, messing with settings for both TWLoader and the bootstrap, reformatted my SD card with 32kb cluster size, and nothing has solved the problem. I even updated Luma and messed around with some of its settings with no effect. Everything I load, including games that worked just fine back before I updated to A9LH from Menuhax+EmuNAND no longer function.

Additionally, I CAN get games to load, on one specific 4gb SD card with my old 3DS, however the load times are absurd, even for TWLoader. We're talking not just minute long boot times for the rom, but even longer just going from menu to menu, if it continues on at all. I know for a fact it never did this back when it worked on my New 3DS, so I am at a complete loss as to what the deal is. Same goes for this system in all the troubleshooting methods listed above.
Hmm... now that you mention bootstrap, is the .ini file of bootstrap set to read-only or something?

Vahkiti

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... now that you mention bootstrap, is the .ini file of bootstrap set to read-only or something?

I don't imagine it would be. I've replaced it multiple times with the various reinstalls, and I've seen it update the rom info each time I've looked at it after a dysfunctional attempted load. Short of doing a complete reformat of the system itself, I think I've ruled out everything I can unless I'm having just a massive brain fart. :|

EDIT: I've also confirmed that TWLFirm isn't broken, as loading DS/DSiWare games already on the system works just fine.

Last edited by Vahkiti,

Blakinu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, is there a way to improve load times from SD? the game freezes until its finished downloading and its just anoying

D

Deleted User

Hey, is there a way to improve load times from SD? the game freezes until its finished downloading and its just anoying

We'll have to wait for improvements to the bootstrap itself, as it's mostly that. What you can try is formatting your SD card with a 32KB cluster size. It's not going to make everything fast, but it'll make things faster.

Lucar3

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth freezees on black screen after selecting chapter despite there's written that it runs well with only some graphical errors

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

Could you guys do compatibility checks on some of the following games? I didn't see these in the list:

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Tales of Hearts
Nanashi no Game
Ni no Kuni
The Saga games
Sakura Note
Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road
Suikoden Tierkreis
Okamiden
Trace Memory
Card Hero DS

I would test these out myself, but I currently have a 11.4 OG 3DS and can't homebrew my 3DS (no extra system, and I'm not comfortable hard modding). I plan to do it in the future though.

Really bummed out that Soma Bringer, Solotarobo, 7th Dragon, and Tales of Innocence don't work :(

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
With the release of sighax, the devs have more control on 3ds, devs can explore on other things that were not accesible during the period of a9lh.

So will there be posibility of having increase compatibility now that sighax/b9s is out?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back