Hacking NDEV Revolution Development System & Software

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently selling my NDEV and I thought I would take some time to answer any questions about it and/or the software that goes with it while I still have it.

For those who don't know the NDEV is the official Nintendo-endorsed hardware used to develop games for Wii/WiiWare. They rarely see the light of day, hence this thread.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
  1. How much are you asking for it?
  2. Do you already have a buyer?
  3. Have you done a NAND dump with it?
  4. Have you dumped those dev channels?
  5. Is this the same as those RVT units?
  6. When was this unit produced?

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. How much are you asking for it?
  2. Do you already have a buyer?
  3. Have you done a NAND dump with it?
  4. Have you dumped those dev channels?
  5. Is this the same as those RVT units?
  6. When was this unit produced?
1/2. I don't want this to be an advertising thread, but if you're interested you can find it on eBay.
3/4. No. Not sure how I would as it doesn't run a regular system menu.
5. No. The RVTs look like regular Wiis with different colored faceplates. The NDEV is a huge black brick and streams games directly from the developer's computer rather than using any kind of local storage. See large picture here.
6. There is no date anywhere on the outside of the unit. I bout it fairly recently but I have no way of saying how old it actually is.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Holy. Piss. You should definitely sell it to @DeadlyFoez. He could take that thing to the moon. Plus, I'd love to see some of those dev channels and install them on my Wii myself, that's if there are any. n____n

Any kind of development software always gets me interested.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, super cool and going to be very expensive. Just one question for someone, whoever. If you had this you would have everything needed to make a wiigame/wiiware just like a retail version minus the signature. Such a game would be and to sync a wiimote and such? If you owned this and made a game, could you actually legally release it? Pack it to iso, fakesign it, etc. Could you legally sell such a game? Or is that a big no?

Also, just curios as to was format this thing tests games from your pc. Does it simply play an unencrypted extracted game iso from your pc? Can you simply unpack and wii game and play it on this? Or does it play from an iso file or something else?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Any chance that you'd be willing to send me the unit for a wiik (see what I did there), and let me take some internal pics, see if there is any hope to dump the NAND (if there is even one on it to be dump). I'd be willing to pay shipping both ways.

Another question; What did you use this unit for? Why did you buy it?

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, super cool and going to be very expensive. Just one question for someone, whoever. If you had this you would have everything needed to make a wiigame/wiiware just like a retail version minus the signature. Such a game would be and to sync a wiimote and such? If you owned this and made a game, could you actually legally release it? Pack it to iso, fakesign it, etc. Could you legally sell such a game? Or is that a big no?

Also, just curios as to was format this thing tests games from your pc. Does it simply play an unencrypted extracted game iso from your pc? Can you simply unpack and wii game and play it on this? Or does it play from an iso file or something else?
Yes you'd have everything that you needed, but you wouldn't be able to get Nintendo to sign it for you. Legally, I imagine it's like using a commercial library: you need to be granted permission by the copyright holder before you can do much of anything with it. I'm no lawyer though...

I haven't done any testing with it myself, but other NDEV owners have said that it will not play dumps of retail games. What it's designed to play are debugger-friendly ELF files. I don't know how much they have in common with the ELF files formerly used by the HBC.

Any chance that you'd be willing to send me the unit for a wiik (see what I did there), and let me take some internal pics, see if there is any hope to dump the NAND (if there is even one on it to be dump). I'd be willing to pay shipping both ways.

Another question; What did you use this unit for? Why did you buy it?
Sorry but it's due to be sold by Sunday. If I had more time I would consider it. I'd be happy to at least take some internal pictures for you though. If you have any other requests let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Honestly, I bought it to resell it. I'm interested in dev items but not so much in the wii. I saw it at a good price and figured I'd be able to flip it for more. I've got a big tuition payment coming up and every little bit helps.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Where in the US do you live? If you live close enough to me then I'd take the drive over to you, dump the NAND, and then be on my merry way.

But yes, please take some internal pics... like ASAP if you could.

Thanx man.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where in the US do you live? If you live close enough to me then I'd take the drive over to you, dump the NAND, and then be on my merry way.

But yes, please take some internal pics... like ASAP if you could.

Thanx man.
Sent you a PM. As for the pics, I will post them after work tomorrow.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Holy shit. Time for me to start drooling. Damn, that is interesting.

I actually have that amount of cash put away atm, but I have to spend that on other stuff soon, so I can't buy this... :cry:

Oh well, I probably would not be able to do as much with it as DeadlyFoez could anyway. (and the money would prolly take too long to get into paypal anyway :lol:)

Here is hoping that you two can share as much info with each other about it before it's sold, and then share that info with all of us. :D

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
  1. Have you dumped those dev channels?
  2. Is this the same as those RVT units?
I'm curious about these 2. What dev channels are on it, and what version NDEV menu is on it? Is the software the same stuff that can be put on an RVT?

I have the disccheck, menu uninstaller, NWC24Edit, ToggleMovieFlag, NMenu, and OSReportViewer and a few other channels, as well as the NDEV menu. Are these the titles your NDEV has?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure crediar has all these titles too. So if crediar hasn't found anything super useful about them that has been shared/leaked to the public then they probably aren't all that special for us. But I'd still love the chance to play around with it.

Hell, if I had the funds I would purchase it and send it to pune to play with.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure crediar has all these titles too. So if crediar hasn't found anything super useful about them that has been shared/leaked to the public then they probably aren't all that special for us.
They aren't. If anything, they're collector's wads, something you'd get just so you can say you have it.

If anyone wants the dev titles I listed, most can be found online in various torrents (mainly SDK leaks).

Now if only I could find Prelaunch System Menu (the startup disc screen), IOS9 v1, BC v0, and MIOS v0...

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are the pictures I promised. There are several levels and I only got to the top level before coming across some unusual connectors that I didn't want to try my luck with. Sorry. If anybody feels really strongly about it then let me know and I will attempt a deeper look but right now I'm not even sure pictures are doing anybody much good.
I'm curious about these 2. What dev channels are on it, and what version NDEV menu is on it? Is the software the same stuff that can be put on an RVT?

I have the disccheck, menu uninstaller, NWC24Edit, ToggleMovieFlag, NMenu, and OSReportViewer and a few other channels, as well as the NDEV menu. Are these the titles your NDEV has?
At least some of the software is NDEV-specific and wouldn't really make sense to have on an RVT. I'll get back to you with specifics on what's on it tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure crediar has all these titles too. So if crediar hasn't found anything super useful about them that has been shared/leaked to the public then they probably aren't all that special for us. But I'd still love the chance to play around with it.

Hell, if I had the funds I would purchase it and send it to pune to play with.
They aren't. If anything, they're collector's wads, something you'd get just so you can say you have it.

If anyone wants the dev titles I listed, most can be found online in various torrents (mainly SDK leaks).

Now if only I could find Prelaunch System Menu (the startup disc screen), IOS9 v1, BC v0, and MIOS v0...
I agree. Most of this stuff, while interesting, isn't of much use to the end user or even hackers considering the Wii has been pretty much wide open for some time now. And yes, a lot of the software is likely out there already.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone remember the Wii hardware that actually loaded from hard drives? It was given to various hospitals and had a CFG-esque interface. (3D boxes, maybe even spinning, first and third party games included.)

I want to say it had "star" in the name...

This must have been around 2008? Post-Homebrew Channel. There was a poster on GBAtemp who was going to dump its menu while his wife was at the hospital, but she didn't stay overnight or something so he didn't get the chance. Don't know how GBAtemp stores old posts but there's a starting place for your search. I bet Kotaku and NintendoWiiFanboy (now Joystiq) reported on it too.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I remember it, but forget the name. I actually had a scheme ready for while my wife was giving birth that I was going to try to do a NAND dump, while in the hospital. I brought all my tools, but the hospital could not bring one to my wife bc there were other make-a-wish children that supposedly needed it more.

Those fucking kids are dead now, but my work could have lasted for years.

j/k. I've got sympathy for them.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've been around here for a while. My goal was to dump the software that allowed IOS reloading games to work from an apparent official USB loader. At the time of this many people shot me down saying that IOS reloading through a USB loader wasn't possible bc waninkoko could not make it happen, but now that D2X is out with IOS reloading games working shows how wrong everyone was. Everyone thought waninkoko was a god, even after his 'safe updater' apps bricked many wiis. People thought waninkoko knew what he was doing, but he really did not. Waninkoko only knew how to steal code from other people, and use it in an unsafe manner.

Reactions: 1 person

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...