Hacking Narrowing down microSD choice

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a Sandisk 8GB class 2, and it works well enough for most games without fail, but some games like Chinatown Wars and Portrait of Ruin have problems.

Example: Chinatown Wars will occasionally slowdown while driving and Portrait of Ruin sometimes doesn't want to start up and when it works, a black line sometimes flickers at the top of either given screen.

I have 60 games in 1 games directory on my card, so that could be it, but the Acekard UI isn't slow, and again, some games are fine.

I'm also pretty sure I have clean dumps of those games as well (they work well enough in DS emulators at least).

I hear the class 6 Transcend card is pretty much the best you can buy, so should I buy it or do I actually have bad dumps/should I break up the directory?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your card could be fragmented if you've had it for a while. This may slow speeds down as sequential speeds are normally faster than random read speeds, even though it's flash memory.

If you also havn't done so, formatting with the Panasonic SD formatter can speed the card up. So try backing the card up, formatting and then copying all the data back. Don't defragment, as it can take it's toll on the card. Just Backup, format, and copy your data back.

Transcend are fine, and are consistant in what you get. But that doesn't mean they are the fastest, class 6 just means write speeds of 6MB/s. If it were me, i'd run the Sandisk through HDtach and see what you've got.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've never had good luck with Transcend.
I bought a ADATA 4GB Class 6 and I absolutely love it. It's fast, zero problems and the card feels good.
It saves and loads very fast, including games with large save files like WarioWare D.I.Y and Pokemon HG/SS. I would say just as fast as a retail cart.

8GB Class 6
- Cheapest: RiDATA $19 ($14.99 + 2.99 shipping)
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820183244

- I'd recommend: ADATA $25 ($21.49 + 2.99 shipping)
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211341

16GB Class 6
- Cheapest: ADATA $59 ($55.99 + 2.99 shipping) [SOLD OUT]
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211379

- Transcend $63 ($62.99 + Free shipping)
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208475

tk_saturn said:
class 6 just means write speeds of 6MB/s.
While it is true, that Class # refers to the write speed, the write speed is the more difficult of the two speedwise.
So logically, if something has a higher write speed, it is more likely to have higher read speeds.

But by all means, do as TK suggested and back up your data and format the card and try it again.
It can't hurt and might save you a few bucks.

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had it for a week and the first thing I did was format it with the Panasonic SD formatter.

But I guess it couldn't hurt to reformat/try HDtach.

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting developments.

Tried reformatting with Panasonic again, no deal.

I decided to try my 4GB Sandisk from my phone that I bought well over a year ago that is also a class 2.

I just put GTA and PoR on it and they both ran flawlessly. Hell, the entire Acekard loaded faster than it did on my 8GB. Used the same Panasonic formatter to format it as well.

So I figure I'd try to break my games up into folders on my 8GB....still got the same problems in those games.

Maybe the 8GB is the problem? Maybe I should get that class 6 Transcend (if only for the transfer speed at least...25 minutes on this class 2 x_x).

tenja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Anyone here play DQ IX? i just want to ask that if a class 6 card can handle the game perfectly? Cause it seems there is slow down on mine. i wonder is that the game problem itself or microSD?

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tenja said:
Anyone here play DQ IX? i just want to ask that if a class 6 card can handle the game perfectly? Cause it seems there is slow down on mine. i wonder is that the game problem itself or microSD?

I heard theres some slowdown on the actual cart when theres some Wifi action

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a few more tests.

I think I got burned with this 8GB card (thankfully it was only 10 bucks with shipping).

I filled up my 4GB class 2 sandisk to the max and saw NO drop in quality. I thought to reverse this and clear out my 8GB card except for the problem games. Same problems.

So pretty much either a higher storage card requires a faster class or this card is bunk.

Either way, I won't buy from Amazon marketplace again.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know what File allocation unit size the Panasonic SD formatter will format a 8GB card to, but try formatting in Windows Explorer and choose the maximum File Allocation Unit size it will allow you to select. Larger FAU's, normally = faster speeds.

NinjaMic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I don't know what File allocation unit size the Panasonic SD formatter will format a 8GB card to, but try formatting in Windows Explorer and choose the maximum File Allocation Unit size it will allow you to select. Larger FAU's, normally = faster speeds.

Tried this, no deal.

I noticed the transfer speed on my 4GB was actually faster while I was at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw