G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As many games as I played throughout these years, it baffles me on how a great story with wise decisions never truly changes the game outcome in the end. A game is so good that it has superb replay value' but its also a burden once you aknowledge the fact the concept of the game doesnt do justice as it rightfully should.

When it comes to a sequels I completely understand it (GOW PS4) but when it comes to game we have long anticipated like Zelda BOTW ,Fallout 4, Telltale.....it's a bad trip. Everytime we get a new entry to the series, it'd give us what we want regarding to what the player wants and what the character need, but we cant have that as our only answer now? Is this going to be the continuing standpoint for video games? Obviously Games has been getting more complex but during the endpoint of the game I want to see results as opposed of the game telling me what have I done for playing this character at the endpoint of this story.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "all roads lead to Rome" concept is generally seen as a shortcut in doing such things. Anyway depending upon where your choices happen in the story it could essentially lead to people having to develop multiple games in parallel, several of such games many of your audience might not ever see -- the classic thing is do a branching tree like you would have done in stats/probability in school and count up the outcomes after just three or four decisions.

There are games though, even ones with sequels if you want to look at the likes of Mass Effect and further back the Ultima games.

That said I would like to see more people trying real choices, proper morality systems and branching stories, regardless of the difficulty of such things.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
>remembers bioshock infinite
great potential wasted

anyway, there are some games with lots of branching, but they were constructed from the ground up like that (I'm talking about the zero escape trilogy. nier too afaik, but I haven't played any game of that series to know better) and while have a single true ending by design, you need to see some other relevant ends to reach it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've read the OP multiple times, but I really can't say I understand it.

There are plenty of games with multiple endings. I can probably name a bit more, but if telltale's work is somehow invalid, I really can't say I understand why (of course the different episodes assume a singular storyline, but that doesn't mean they're the same). A whole bunch of other games have a lot of non-influencial (but therefore not less meaningfull) choices, usually "only" having a handful of endpoints at the most. But is that so bad? People rarely play through narrative games a second time, which is even less likely if it has less storyline in them. And because development time is finite, that means that the more different branching paths developers create, the less fleshed out or detailed each individual path will become.

Oh, and I know it doesn't fall under "narrative", but still...quite some games don't have endings, but these DO have results instead. Tetris doesn't have an ending, but the longer you play, the more result (=score) you have. City builders can be played until infinity, but the good ones tend to show your personality after a while. and so on.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've read the OP multiple times, but I really can't say I understand it.

There are plenty of games with multiple endings. I can probably name a bit more, but if telltale's work is somehow invalid, I really can't say I understand why (of course the different episodes assume a singular storyline, but that doesn't mean they're the same). A whole bunch of other games have a lot of non-influencial (but therefore not less meaningfull) choices, usually "only" having a handful of endpoints at the most. But is that so bad? People rarely play through narrative games a second time, which is even less likely if it has less storyline in them. And because development time is finite, that means that the more different branching paths developers create, the less fleshed out or detailed each individual path will become.

Oh, and I know it doesn't fall under "narrative", but still...quite some games don't have endings, but these DO have results instead. Tetris doesn't have an ending, but the longer you play, the more result (=score) you have. City builders can be played until infinity, but the good ones tend to show your personality after a while. and so on.

Sorry everyone maybe I was in a rush and got confused for a bit. Im just saying why the games that we've long awaited for quite some time never shows us results? Everytime I played Fallout 4 and every playthrough I go through with different endings, I never see the aftermath of it, I just get told what happens through those multiple endings. Am Im reaching to far for what im trying pointout? A lot of games does this and its completely fine but the WOW factor for me has been decreased a bit. Everybody wants this to happen in they're favorite game and most likely it happens, but nobody never ask this? I want to see what I've done in the game thats all.

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1