Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
there is special conductive glue....bit its not that great and a bit messy XD....but, just normal glue...nope

you could try wrapping the wire around the pin and pulling it tight....not the best solution as there isnt much space to work inside the sd adapter...and u have to make sure it doesn't short with the next pin

Msparky83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I walked into my local Altex store to return my memory card readers for a new one and they gave me a business card for a guy who repairs xbox 360's and iphones. I took my 3ds to him and he was very impressed with what I did to my pogo pin board and how I had implemented it. He happily took my 3ds into his arms and made it reborn. It is now more magnificent than it was before. He modded it with a micro usb. The only thing I wasn't happy about was he kept the wires to long and he scrapped a lot of plastic on the inside of the console to get the micro usb to fit. All in all i'm very pleased with the mod and it only set me back $21.65 on the account that I have to get on facebook and make a review and let all my friends and family know where to take their electronics in when in need of repair. Im stoked, and going to go make another (non gateway) backup of my nand. Cheers everyone. I will posting pics of the mod later.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I walked into my local Altex store to return my memory card readers for a new one and they gave me a business card for a guy who repairs xbox 360's and iphones. I took my 3ds to him and he was very impressed with what I did to my pogo pin board and how I had implemented it. He happily took my 3ds into his arms and made it reborn. It is now more magnificent than it was before. He modded it with a micro usb. The only thing I wasn't happy about was he kept the wires to long and he scrapped a lot of plastic on the inside of the console to get the micro usb to fit. All in all i'm very pleased with the mod and it only set me back $21.65 on the account that I have to get on facebook and make a review and let all my friends and family know where to take their electronics in when in need of repair. Im stoked, and going to go make another (non gateway) backup of my nand. Cheers everyone. I will posting pics of the mod later.

Glad to hear it went well! I guess i should charge more for modding things :huh: Make sure to make multiple dumps and back those up safely somewhere. The micro-usb connection still scares me, using a standard to make an un-standard connection.

Msparky83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, how much are you currently charging? I have made two dumps so far, and with my original gateway dump that makes three. I have saved them and locked them away from all the evil people such as Gateway and the Chinese Mafia. Jokes aside, I am waiting for Gateways new update and have been for what seems like forever, but its just part of the "Game".

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, how much are you currently charging? I have made two dumps so far, and with my original gateway dump that makes three. I have saved them and locked them away from all the evil people such as Gateway and the Chinese Mafia. Jokes aside, I am waiting for Gateways new update and have been for what seems like forever, but its just part of the "Game".
Heh, remember to place that in a truecrypt container with AES-Twofish-Serpent algorithm, and generate your passwords in keepass in which you hide the key file using something like Openpuff, and of course use a password that is over the length of 32 for good measure. I usually charge about $10 for something small like this and $25 for something like the ps3 or 360, yeah my time is cheap lol. It's more of the fun for me and learning experiences.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you don't really need to take out any plastic to put a micro usb in the XL, well except for the lil wrist strap holder......i feel i should now mention the XL i was having trouble with........this is so dumb and im kicking myself, but the problem wasn't with the soldering or anything and i ended up ripping out the old port and starting fresh.........only to discover it was the card reader playing up....its not reading any SD cards, just tried it out on the desktop and its now dumping fine........so if you get error's 00000200, or 000008 or 0000003, just double check your SD reader isn't having a fit :rofl2:

Msparky83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't really need to take out any plastic to put a micro usb in the XL, well except for the lil wrist strap holder......i feel i should now mention the XL i was having trouble with........this is so dumb and im kicking myself, but the problem wasn't with the soldering or anything and i ended up ripping out the old port and starting fresh.........only to discover it was the card reader playing up....its not reading any SD cards, just tried it out on the desktop and its now dumping fine........so if you get error's 00000200, or 000008 or 0000003, just double check your SD reader isn't having a fit :rofl2:

Lol, that sux. At least you got it to work again. The only error im getting constantly now is 00000003 and mine is dumping like a champ with the IOGEAR 12-in-1 (GFR209)

Msparky83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all mine seem to like 400, must just depend on the card reader or something :D

I just tried it with my usb hub multi card combo reader and that gives me error 00000005, and it still recognizes it. I believe you may have something there as far as brands are concerned.

By the way I thought you would get a kick out of the fact that I just tried to brick my console 5 different times via diagnostics mode and well.......no joy. I guess you were lucky (or unlucky as it were) I guess next time maybe I should use a clone launcher.dat and see how I get along with that. :rolleyes:

update: Couldn't help myself...so it took me a few tries while I was using the evil Launcher.dat, but once I successfully booted into "Gateway mode" with the infidel launcher I then exited. The instant I exited I was greeted with the BSOD of doom. Good thing I have a RaspPi. They really don't like clones, and I can't say I don't blame them.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great success! :D

I got the SD-Adapter fixed and now it's working. I glued the Micro USB connector and the SD-Adapter and then dumped my NAND twice and the MD5 hashes of both dumps match. So I assume it's working properly. I also wrote a dump back to the XL which worked perfectly. Here are two pics:

What still confueses me are the error codes. It seems the ERRCODE depends on the card reader you use:

- If I don't plug the SD-Adapter at all, I get the 200 error code
- If I plug the SD-Adapter into an external SD-Reader and then power on, I get the 400
- If I plug it directly into my desktop PC SD-Slot, I get 008, which works perfectly so far

What do these different error codes actually mean? Are they documented somewhere?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What still confueses me are the error codes. It seems the ERRCODE depends on the card reader you use:

- If I plug the SD-Adapter into an external SD-Reader and then power on, I get the 400
- If I plug it directly into my desktop PC SD-Slot, I get 008, which works perfectly so far

What do these different error codes actually mean? Are they documented somewhere?

That's just where the boot code got stuck at when trying to access the eMMC. Since you are plugging them into your card reader the signal then are either floating or might be weakly pulled to gnd or vcc in the card reader before power is applied. The boot error codes shouldn't stop you from dumping the eMMC since you are using the system to power up the eMMC. It's why we don't bother connecting Vcc from the card reader to the system. From what I can determine once the system throws a boot error it gives up trying to access the eMMC until it is reset, we can then apply our CMD and CLK to read or write to the eMMC via DAT0.

I too would like to know exactly what the boot codes mean but so far, to me, it just mean fatal system start-up memory access problems.

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
Great success! :D

I got the SD-Adapter fixed and now it's working. I glued the Micro USB connector and the SD-Adapter and then dumped my NAND twice and the MD5 hashes of both dumps match. So I assume it's working properly. I also wrote a dump back to the XL which worked perfectly. Here are two pics:

When you say "If I don't plug the SD adapter in at all", I'm assuming you mean you just don't have the SD part of the micro USB plugged in correct?

Only reason I ask is because I got my 3DS back from being worked on a while back and it booted up to 400 with no cable inserted.

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say "If I don't plug the SD adapter in at all", I'm assuming you mean you just don't have the SD part of the micro USB plugged in correct?

Only reason I ask is because I got my 3DS back from being worked on a while back and it booted up to 400 with no cable inserted.

Eh, I hope your not getting boot codes when nothing is plugged in :( That's never happened to me so far and hope it isn't common place. How frequently is it doing this? If it's just once off then it should be fine but if it is regularly happening that could mean something might be shorting inside, induced noise from a large emf, or maybe when your hand is touch the port when you boot it up.

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I hope your not getting boot codes when nothing is plugged in :( That's never happened to me so far and hope it isn't common place. How frequently is it doing this? If it's just once off then it should be fine but if it is regularly happening that could mean something might be shorting inside, induced noise from a large emf, or maybe when your hand is touch the port when you boot it up.

TLDR I tried to fix it but soldering to that microusb port is a PITA and messed up the port. I just ended up mailing it back to the guy who worked on it.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I mean that the SD-Adapter part is plugged in, but not plugged in any SD Reader.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi guys, need a bit of advice, just got a 3ds to unbrick and ALL of the points are burnt off, I wasn't told this by the user before they sent it so I'm a bit like :wacko:
Is there a list of known alt points for the XL, I will have a look through the thread later but if anyone has any leads it would be appreciated,

Worst comes to worst I will probably have to try remove the epoxy around the chip and see If there is enough trace left to solder to, but it would be easier if I at least had some alt points to work with

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi guys, need a bit of advice, just got a 3ds to unbrick and ALL of the points are burnt off, I wasn't told this by the user before they sent it so I'm a bit like :wacko:
Is there a list of known alt points for the XL, I will have a look through the thread later but if anyone has any leads it would be appreciated,

Worst comes to worst I will probably have to try remove the epoxy around the chip and see If there is enough trace left to solder to, but it would be easier if I at least had some alt points to work with

According to every image from the internet with the 3ds emmc pinout, there are no others points on the XL for emmc.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah I haven't found anything but that might just be with the points being so "easy" On the XL
From the pics I have looked at from what I can see dat0 connects to the resistor array at least Will have to check later as I'm out atm, most worrying is the clk point but it does look like it might go through a via to the other side so I'll have to check that later too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car