NAND Dumping Issue (Both GW and HW)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Adr990, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Adr990
    OP

Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Apr 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Hey guys,

In the past month my 3DS gave me a blue screen (while in sysNAND) even after a reboot. Then after a little while it booted normally again. Now this happened a 2 or 3 times, but no big deal.

Now I'm trying to dump my NAND via either GateWay, or my Hardware mod, and it gives an error after a little while.

Windows came with this Error:
    [​IMG]

"Gegevensfout (cyclische redundantiecontrole)" means "data error cyclic redundancy check"

(Also, Gateway just says "Error")

After a reboot, my 3DS gave me a Bluescreen without the SD card reader connected.
    But after a few minutes, it works fine again.

Any solutions known of?

Thanks in advance,
    Adr

Edit:
    Also, I've noticed that when I select a game via the Gateway Rom menu with [SELECT], it loads the rom, but doesn't show it, until I go to another application and return to the Home menu (in emuNAND).

Edit2:
    Blue screen code:

2. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I had that happen once and ended up having to just replace the 3DS ;)

you could try doing a system format to see if that works. Unless you have stuff you don't want to lose...

3. Oxybelis

Oxybelis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2010
    Maybe bad block on flash?
    Try to find a program which can continue dumping NAND with errors.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    sounds like you may be having issues with your hardmod wiring.....check and see if there is anything in the port, also the issue with gateway happens with me sometimes, if you take the SD out and press select so it says read error then put the card back in and try again it should work fine

5. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    Ok, let me share some of my experience in that 3DS NAND hardware mod.

Sometimes, when you have a "more sensitive" 3DS just doing the HW MOD (soldering the wires and the header) could "trigger" the blue screen.
    I very often do the 3DS XL micro USB in that wrist wrap "hole" and in some of them no matter how short I left the wires the console simply does not accept the MOD and just turning it on gives me the blue screen.
    For those consoles I have to go for a "plastic" header connector.

Check your HW mod for long wires. try shortening them.
    Also, go for a plastic connector instead of metal ones, if you're using.

Good luck!

6. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States

As far as I can tell, that Win32 Disk Imager program is just a graphical interface for "dd"
    It essentially does the same thing but it's easier to use.

If OP has access to a UNIX machine (or even is able to use something like VMWare), that's what I'd try for sure, dd it to a file and see what happens.

In my case, I had somebody solder a NAND flashing port on, and after using it a few times the wires had come loose somehow, or the solder weakened, I'm not really sure. It got to a point where even after doing a system format, I would get "An error has occurred, please power off and try again" so it would never even show the initial settings screens. Somehow a bad solder job completely wrecked the NAND

Needless to say I sent my replacement unit to somebody else to do the soldering :P

zoogie likes this.
  7. Adr990
    OP

Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Apr 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the input.
    I have some pictures of my HW mod:
    http://imgur.com/a/JoTUy (Imgur Album)

I used a thin (kynar) wire on the back, and replaced with a thicker (the yellow one) cable on the top.
    Also, I did put tape underneath the exposed thin (kynar) wire. It shouldn't be shorting anything. (And this setup worked for the longest time.)

If it is a bad block, I could flash a (slightly older) sysNAND dump back to it?
    But it could stop writing around 15% again, and brick the 3DS. It works for going to the emuNAND just fine..
    (Too bad, I just wanted to do this for the new CFW stuff.)

Thanks, will try that. :)