Question nand backup

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Phoenixrite, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Phoenixrite
    OP

Phoenixrite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2018
    South Africa
    Have sx os dunno how to backup nand? Is there a easy way to do it like a homebrew app that can be installed in sx os and just run? Thanks.

2. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    The only way to backup your nand is by using hekate, it's an RCM payload so you just run it the same way you run the SX OS payload (if you have the SX pro there's also a way to run it with that) then after launching it you go into Tools then into Backup then select "backup emmc boot0/1" then once that finishes select "backup emmc RAW GPU" once that finishes turn off your Switch, put the SD card into your computer, and copy the "backup" folder to your computer

Hekate can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

3. Ja7

Ja7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Does it matter if you make a nand backup after using SX OS? i.e is any trace left. Also once the Nand is backed up if I want to update without burning effuses using ChoiDujourNX and sx os renders the game cart slot useless, is this also the case with the easier update method (entering into rcm right before boot)? and is this recoverable atall. Thanks for any help

4. BloodRose

BloodRose GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    It does if you accidentally manage to brick it using badly written homebrew or malicious code, yes.

Ja7 likes this.
  5. Ja7

Ja7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Only be loading up SX OS to immediately make a nand backup so I'd imagine bricking would be unlikely in first instance- but would the backed up nand show traces of SXOS on it ?. How would be best to make a nand backup alternativley? I have the usb-c cable that comes with SXOS but aren't the cheap cables supposed to be dangerous for bricking

6. BloodRose

BloodRose GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    You can't make a nand backup through SXOS.

7. Ja7

Ja7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You can inject Hekate through the dongle to then make a backup. Thought this would involve loading SX OS first

8. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ja7 and thorasgar like this.
  9. Ja7

Ja7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! So if I follow this guide but use the sx pro dongle to inject is it still considered a virgin-nand?

10. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Its only a virgin nand if you have not done anything to the device before the guide, if you have then still make a backup..
    I have named it Virgin nand, hence the meaning Untouched maybe it will catch on :)

Always make a backup regardless if you hacked or have not it may save your ass in the future

Injection method does not matter.
    But personally i would use a usb c cable to pc and run tegra, that way you can charge a little also

Last edited by Canna, Aug 21, 2018
    BloodRose, thorasgar and Ja7 like this.
  11. Ja7

Ja7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help and the guide! Ill try it out

Canna likes this.
  12. Phoenixrite
    OP

Phoenixrite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2018
    South Africa
    I installed auto RCM then uninstalled it after battery drained a lot still make a backup?

13. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Always means always.

Canna likes this.