N64 virtual console games running slowly/poorly

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by touchmypenguinag, Sep 25, 2010.

1. touchmypenguinag
    OP

Newcomer touchmypenguinag Member

United States
    Hi im having an issue with most my n64 wads i installed running slowly. Mario 64 seems ok, but wave race, starfox, yoshi's story and 1080 snowboarding all run poorly (stuttering frame rate and sound).

I have a 4.2e soft moded wii using the usual guide from xzxero. Any ideas what it could be? I tried running it in all screen settings (576i, 480i and 480p) im using component cable too.

The only thing i thought it could be is if it was wrong region wads, tho im sure i downloaded all pal.

Thanks for the help,
    Andrew

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Virtual Console titles are merely modified emulators. They don't actually rewrite the game, they just use the original N64 code and put an emulator on top of it. So yeah, expect slow down.

3. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I experienced this with Paper Mario too. It's not very noticeable, a lot like I'd expect the game to run on a PC emulator.

But yeah, it's pretty much as was said, you're using emulation software, which is almost never perfect just by nature, especially for complicated systems like the Nintendo 64.

I believe Nintendo has a warning about that when you buy it too, unless I misread. They interestingly call it flaws in the porting process, but a port is a rewrite/recompile of the code to run on a new architecture..... not emulation. That'd be like saying I "ported" A Link to the Past to the PC whenever I run it on an emulator....

But yeah, simply put, that's why. Though I wouldn't expect the flaws to be too noticeable considering it's Nintendo's own emulation code, but then again they consider the latest updates and the SD card menu as "acceptable", so who the hell knows.