Pessimist
OP
Trophies
Website
dasbutterschnitzel.com
XP
Country
Germany
Hi first of all yes I know its the 1000th thread about asking somewhat but the search button didnt help...

So would it be possible to play n64 Games on the Iplayer or PS1 games(???)?
here are the facts of the Iplayer http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320dm6441.pdf
If I could code I would make my own Emulator but Im not Talented enough^^

Giratina3

Official Lilac of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Crazy-S said:
but its CPU is faster than the DS CPU^^
It has just a lock or so for commercial games...
I dont think its impossible
Still it wont be done, unless people are mega confident that it will run, what you have to take into account, N64 has a different processor to DS and requires more power to emulate it.... i'd say its near to impossible for now, maybe the Nintendo DS 2 will have more power to emulate better stuff... but just wait, for now, Impossible on the current DS's

Giratina3

Trophies
XP
Country
Crazy-S said:
i think you dont understand what I mean...
The Iplayer has an own CPU thats better than the DSs CPU (I think its twice powerful than the ds CPU)
the ds cant emulate GBA but the Iplayer can Emulate GBA
Naaaah its no use argueing with you.... believe what you want... reality will return to bite you and you'll see what i mean... people have asked this in the past about stuff.... N64 on DS = NO! N64 on DS2 = Could be like a miracle... IF IT DOES I WILL BUY IT!

N64 is emulated on PSP's BUT its slow... so that tells you the PSP is not powerful enough either....

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It would help if I had an idea of how much work the iPlayer CPU has to do in order to emulate the GBA in DS mode. In my opinion the main problem wouldn't be emulating the processor but rendering. I have no idea on the possibilities but I would say the answer is most likely no.

Giratina, the PSP N64 emulation has progressed considerably and its at least running SM64 at a good framerate. All emulation will suffer without the original pads though, the awkward C-Pad on the N64 just can't be done on the PSP or DS

Giratina3

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
It would help if I had an idea of how much work the iPlayer CPU has to do in order to emulate the GBA in DS mode. In my opinion the main problem wouldn't be emulating the processor but rendering. I have no idea on the possibilities but I would say the answer is most likely no.

Giratina, the PSP N64 emulation has progressed considerably and its at least running SM64 at a good framerate. All emulation will suffer without the original pads though, the awkward C-Pad on the N64 just can't be done on the PSP or DS
Oh yeah, i forgot about the buttons >< thats another factor....

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how optimized the GBA emulator is, but I did hear it is a modified version of Visual Boy Advance. VBA takes a fair amount of PC power to run full speed in the more powerful games (at least, it did in single core PC's). But since it's running on DS, some shortcuts may have been possible. Since it did hold all the original hardware used for GBA games, and the processor is still an ARM one.

As for N64, I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but I doubt it will be done. I guess it MIGHT be possible, at least at slow-ish speeds (maybe less that 10fps). But then again, maybe not. Hard to judge what the iPlayer can do currently. All we have is a GBA emulator. And we don't even know how optimized it is. Many games like Golden Sun 2 aren't really very playable and go very slowly. I'm not sure if that's a lack of power, or a lack of optimization on the coder's fault.

Now, older systems are totally possible and easy to imagine. I could see superior SNES, Genesis, and NeoGeo emulators. Those are already fair to great on their own. SNES emulation on an iplayer might even be able to handle some special chip games like Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island. Maybe not, but I don't see why not.

As for N64 controls, I could see them mapping some controls to the touch screen. The C buttons for instance. L is rarely used, so they could map the Z button to L. Or just make custom configurations, maybe for each game. Whatever, it won't happen. Even if it COULD, I doubt many people are interested in iPlayer development. GBA was more of a novelty designed so you could play GBA games without slot 2.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I don't know how optimized the GBA emulator is, but I did hear it is a modified version of Visual Boy Advance. VBA takes a fair amount of PC power to run full speed in the more powerful games (at least, it did in single core PC's). But since it's running on DS, some shortcuts may have been possible. Since it did hold all the original hardware used for GBA games, and the processor is still an ARM one.

Unfortunately this is not the case. As it turns out, the GBA emulator for the iPlayer is actually a port of gpSP, originally made by Exophase for the PSP, which uses a dynamic recompiler to achieve the speeds it does. Thus, it's already extremely optimized to a point that VBA could probably never reach.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm stating this based on the fact that Exophase himself said that this iPlayer emulator "fails in very gpSP-specific ways." Add this to the fact that both the PSP and the iPlayer use a MIPS-based processor (and thus the dynamic recompiler would not require too much modification to work on the iPlayer) and I feel it's fairly obvious that it's not VBA. At the very least, I trust Exophase's judgment on this, as he's proven multiple times to know what the !@#$ he's talking about.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking back, my edit had rather abusive language, and I apologize. It wasn't directed towards you granville.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, i didn't see anything abusive in it lol. But now that i know more about the gba emu....yeah, i don't think there's any point hoping for an n64 emulator. Maybe for the DS2 though...
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain