N64 Keeps Resetting?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by elephantlover01, May 16, 2017.

1. elephantlover01
    OP

elephantlover01 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2014
    United States
    I've cleaned the Expansion Pak slot, the cartridge slot, the power/reset buttons, and I don't understand why it keeps resetting on it's own. My guess is that it's the power supply. Is there any way I can clean the pins on the power supply to possibly stop it from shorting out?

2. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    This happened to my N64. I opened it up and cleaned out all the dust inside.

You have to blast the motherboard with compressed air and also use isopropyl alcohol to clean off the dust on the pins of the CPU and other chips.

That worked for me so I hope it works for you too! Follow the disassembly guide on ifixit.

Last edited by bowser, May 16, 2017
  3. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    My lanuch n64 was doing that randomly and it was the power supply. i switched it with another one i had and it never did it again.

4. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Was your N64 resetting or turning off? Those are 2 different problems.

When my original power supply started to go bad my console kept turning off every few minutes and I had to keep toggling the power switch. Getting a new power supply fixed that problem. But recently it started resetting itself and cleaning out the internals fixed it.

5. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    it would randomly reset. not power off