N64 Gameshark

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Wellington2k, Jan 9, 2013.

Jan 9, 2013

N64 Gameshark by Wellington2k at 2:18 AM (1,482 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Wellington2k
    OP

Member Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

United States
    Hello!

I've been considering buying a N64 Gameshark. I've heard that it's easily breakable, though.
    Is this true? And if so, is it fixable without having two gamesharks?

Thanks!

2. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    I've never broken mine... I guess it's a easier to break a gameshark than it is to break a regular N64 cart. Just be sensible and don't do stupid things like push on it while it's plugged in to the console.

As for fixing, it's a board in a plastic case. You wouldn't be able to repair it with another one if you cracked said board.

3. Wellington2k
    OP

United States
  4. mario5555

Newcomer mario5555 Member

United States
    You gotta remember this is tech for a console from 1996, this thing isn't designed to work forever especially since its not under the same quality control as nintendo manufactured games. I bought one years ago used for Mischief Makers, it worked then, does it work now, beats me.

I would assume (key word here) that even if the battery backup fails that it will continue to work for codes as long as it's plugged in, it just won't flash the codes to memory anymore (due to dead battery more than likely) and you'll have to input codes in everytime you use it. But honestly I've had mine 3 years (or more can't remember) bought it for one game and haven't touched it since. I have it if I need it.

If you want one, get one if you need it. Just make sure to test it, make sure it works then I'd say play the game you need to play and hope it doesn't malfunction until your done playing or you can return it if something does happen in that time frame.

5. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Yea, I've had 2 European counterparts on me go bad, In all honesty if you can get a Xplorer 64 there more robust both hardware and software wise they also have non volatile memory

6. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    I got one used, and it's REALLY finicky. It works well when it does choose to work though.

7. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Reading some of those reviews where it says "my save files were corrupt" and "it didn't work on all my games" tells me that they don't know how to use the gameshark.

There are some harsh realities about the Gameshark like: if you use the wrong code at the wrong time, you'll corrupt your save, or; you need to boot the Gameshark with certain games with work with other games to bypass lockout/anti-piracy stuff on the 64 and if you boot it into a game mode for a game that you don't have you CANNOT boot the Gameshark until you boot it with that game. That last one is confusing, I know. I can explain it better if you don't quite catch my drift.

Also, it's possible that the contacts get worn down as time goes one, meaning it'll take more work to get it to work the longer you own it.

It isn't an official Nintendo product after all...

But if you keep in mind what you're doing you won't corrupt your gamesaves, or lock it into the wrong game mode, and if you take care of it/be gentle with it you won't have too many connection issues. Basically, it's not as robust as a regular N64 cartridge.

8. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    This was one of the reasons I preferred the Xplorer 64 it was based on the button on the device so you couldn't lock yourself out of your device.

When my European versions of gamesharks died it was the gamesharks own flash that used to go and very easy they do go as well like ive mentioned I had 2 go out on me corrupting its own code list for no reason. using a gameshark in a gameshark with a normal game on top did recover one of them mind you.

9. jakeyjake

Member jakeyjake GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my n64 gameshark stopped working completely randomly. it must have broken.

10. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    Just black screening? If you still have it plugging another cheat cart on top of it then something like mario 64 start the game then turn off the power that cart "should" return to normal if its a case of it changing its lock code

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    They blatantly look and feel more flimsy than standard carts.

Note the multi region shape too. Gameshark people didn't want to waste resources on different molds for US vs Europe/Japan (yup N64 Action Replay did reach Japan).

12. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    Where I was living at the time they called em "Equalizer" but it was still the Datel brand and all that

13. Wellington2k
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info!

I'd be paying $16.95 for a Gameshark Pro v3.3

Is it worth it?

14. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    Does it come with a decent return period?

also maybe this one may be of interest and it saves you a few bucks

15. jakeyjake

United States
    Oh after reading it, i realize it's because I set it to a game I didn't have because I was a stupid 7-9 year old at the time.

16. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have GameSharks for almost every system that they have made them for. The N64 is a weird case, when they say they break I think they mean the ones with a port on the back of the cart? Mine you could connect to a PC (None of my PC's have that port.... lol) but you could connect it to a PC and update your codes that way. I think there was an issue with those, maybe windows 9X crashing in the middle of flashing the codes?

At any rate mine still works as far as I can tell, no working N64 joysticks but it does boot up.

Worth it? My opinion is for collectors yeah it's worth it, they are very cool. For the average person just wanting to play N64 games? I would have to say look over the game your wanting to cheat at and see if the codes for the GS will do what you want. If so then go for it, it's not mega expensive so why not?

17. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    Well if you still have it you may still be able to recover it even after all this time :P

Get a used Competition Pro Controller those sticks never seem to wear out

18. jakeyjake

United States
    I would literally have to guess at what game it was that I put it on. lol

19. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    As I remember if you put another cheat cart or import cart on top of it then a normal game on top of that then power up start a game (it should get to the menu) and start the game it should be restored

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i still have mine, good luck finding one though they are extremely rare now.