N64 game upgrades that work on PAL hardware?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I've been trying to get back into N64 gameing recently and have noticed a few patches that claim to 'enhanse' some of the games, like making Mario 64 run at 60fps, that Kind of thing. However, I'm using a PAL N64 so things like that do not run properly, or rather cause horrible video problems somewhere between the game and the TV.

Are there any good game enhansment patches that will run on a PAL N64 and PAL TV?

Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally in hacking patches get aimed at the NA versions because of population. Anything that isn't is when Europe or Japan got an out and out superior version (usually the delay to appear in Europe fixed a bunch of bugs, or people want the lack of censorship and/or original audio of the Japanese version where no file system exists to facilitate easy undubbing), or somehow the hacking scene latched onto that version (maybe a PAL country hacker wanted to use the version they were familiar with). Main exception tends to be those wanting more space -- French versions used as a base for Arabic hacks that do right to left by means of a lot of space bar for example.

I would also say if you are going to do Mario 64 then the decompilation and whatever builds on other platforms based on that are probably the better bet.

"PAL TV"
Many will support 60Hz and NTSC signals but you might have to look at that and any options within that. Did have one once that had almost a hidden function (think it was buried way deep in the manual, certainly not on the internal UI) and had to press the red button to get it to play nicely with such signals.
What are the "horrible" problems anyway as what happens there can be indicative of the underlying problem? Equally what video setup are you using? Most PAL N64s will only be RF where more modern stuff can do a lot more.

The underlying hardware of the N64 was not too bad either and it is not like older things where you might have had real fun and games -- region adapters that were little more than glorified cart swappers existing during its lifetime (indeed I have one around here somewhere).

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
What are the "horrible" problems anyway as what happens there can be indicative of the underlying problem? Equally what video setup are you using? Most PAL N64s will only be RF where more modern stuff can do a lot more.

I no longer have an RF adapter for my N64, lost it many years ago, but do have the RCA cable. However neither of my TV's will accept an NTSC signal. I have a cheap HDMI line doubler (retroscaler2x) which works great on PAL games, but as it does not convert the signal, according to the documentation it will output ntsc hdmi (60hz? different resolution?) which seems not to be supported by my TVs. (before anyone complaines about it being a clone of a different product and I should have bought the original it was cloned from, my reply is simply "You can not buy what is not for sale".

Can you give an example of a patch which is giving you issues? I want to try something.

Mario64 remastered is one example -
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=18092

But the problem seems more to be that my TV will not accept an NTSC signal, even when converted to HDMI.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I no longer have an RF adapter for my N64, lost it many years ago, but do have the RCA cable. However neither of my TV's will accept an NTSC signal. I have a cheap HDMI line doubler (retroscaler2x) which works great on PAL games, but as it does not convert the signal, according to the documentation it will output ntsc hdmi (60hz? different resolution?) which seems not to be supported by my TVs. (before anyone complaines about it being a clone of a different product and I should have bought the original it was cloned from, my reply is simply "You can not buy what is not for sale".

Mario64 remastered is one example -
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=18092

But the problem seems more to be that my TV will not accept an NTSC signal, even when converted to HDMI.

I just tested the ROM on my PAL N64 and I can't run the ROM hack but I can run the original NTSC ROM.

Setup:
Pal Orange N64
Everdrive v3
TV LG UHDTV (can't recall model)
Koryuu (composite to Component adapter)
OSSC upscaler

I have heard of PAL/NTSC compatibility issues before e.g. the Sonic Adventure rom hack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...