N64 controller on android

Discussion in 'Android' started by kiel379, Dec 28, 2013.

1. kiel379
    OP

kiel379 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    england
    Hey all
    I have a N64 controller with usb adapter and was wondering if anyone knows how I could plug it into my note 2 and use it with the emulators I have installed.

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Try getting an OTG cable and plugging it in. Most android phones recognise a good portion of controllers right off the bat with no additional stuff installed, my Xperia S recognised a ps2 and gc controller and I could use them with emus without any issues.

3. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    An OTG cable will set you back about $5.

However this is opinion talking, not any hard facts, but I recommend skipping the OTG cable and get a $15-$20 Bluetooth gamepad that's been designed for mobile. This is mostly to solve the comfort issue as those kind of controllers come with a secure mount for your phone. An entry level moga is like $18-$20 on Amazon right now.

I connected a dualshock 3 controller to my phone, and while it did work, it was too distracting having my phone sit on a table or my lap, trying to play a game. I thought it felt too awkward and comfortable. With a moga-like controller, the screen is always right in front of my face.

4. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    An OTG cable will set you back about $5.

However this is opinion talking, not any hard facts, but I recommend skipping the OTG cable and get a $15-$20 Bluetooth gamepad that's been designed for mobile. This is mostly to solve the comfort issue as those kind of controllers come with a secure mount for your phone. An entry level moga is like $18-$20 on Amazon right now.

I connected a dualshock 3 controller to my phone, and while it did work, it was too distracting having my phone sit on a table or my lap, trying to play a game. I thought it felt too awkward and comfortable. With a moga-like controller, the screen is always right in front of my face.

5. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    Dont get mad about the triple post. I thought I pressed reply once and waited 10 seconds and nothing happened, and then I clicked it a second time and some reason two more posts showed up.

Your posting feature is crap gtemp... stop it.

6. kiel379
    OP

kiel379 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    england
    Moga seems like a good idea. I'm in the UK and there quite pricey. I found a load of clone type controllers from other company's quite cheap but none of them say if they can hold a note 2.

7. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    Whatever gamepad you're looking at, see if there is a youtube video or article that mentions phablet-model devices.

Just use Deal Extreme as a cataloge, youtube those gamepads they have, and see if it's on amazon or ebay with a more reliable shipping method.

I'm sure some can hold a Note 2, but in the event they don't, you can get creative and improvise something using a strip of velcro on the moga, and the other strip on a cheap $2 plastic hardcase to fit a Note 2. All that matters is mounting a phone's display to a comfortable position, it shoudn't matter how you do it if all you care about is the result.

I should also mention the disadvantage to bluetooth controls seems a possible 5th or 10th of a second lag/latency between the time you press a trigger to see the desired result on screen.
    But if you go wireless, you leave your USB port open for charging vs not being able to charge while using a wired controller.

If you have a PS3 controller, they also make a clip for dualshock 3 to secure a phone. I didn't go this route because it seemed too expensive for a piece of plastic.