N64 colors have a light yellow shape

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Recently my n64 started to have a light yellow shape. That is visible especially on white colors on the screen. I played mario 64, banjo-kazooie and donkey kong 64. They all have the same yellow shape. Is ntìot a big deal, because the white in the end still looks white, but I don't want that this is the start of my n64 death.

Just a few minutes ago I noticed that the power supply I bought on amazon (is an european power supply mounted on a japanese n64) was hot even if the n64 was turned off. So is maybe this power supply slowly killing my n64?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,

Recently my n64 started to have a light yellow shape. That is visible especially on white colors on the screen. I played mario 64, banjo-kazooie and donkey kong 64. They all have the same yellow shape. Is ntìot a big deal, because the white in the end still looks white, but I don't want that this is the start of my n64 death.

Just a few minutes ago I noticed that the power supply I bought on amazon (is an european power supply mounted on a japanese n64) was hot even if the n64 was turned off. So is maybe this power supply slowly killing my n64?
I don't think the power supply would be killing your N64, more likely the power supply is not shutting off like it's supposed to, which could shorten its lifespan, but shouldn't harm the N64.
Are you sure it's the N64 and not your TV?
Pictures would be helpful.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a knock-off power supply (not Nintendo branded), then it probably runs hot anyway.

It doesn't matter if it's an EU power supply connected to an NTSC console. All the power supply does is convert 110v or 220v AC to 12v & 3.3v DC for the N64. Whether an unofficial power supply does this properly and/or efficiently, is a different question.

Honestly, the N64 probably needs the capacitors replaced.

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think the power supply would be killing your N64, more likely the power supply is not shutting off like it's supposed to, which could shorten its lifespan, but shouldn't harm the N64.
Are you sure it's the N64 and not your TV?
Pictures would be helpful.
I tried on another crt and the image i still yellow. Playing megadrive and snes on both the crts the white is clear without any shape of yellow. So for sure is the nintendo 64. I was using the scart RGB of my gamecube and the picture was nice. But recently started with this weird shape. SO to do another experiment, using RCA on a scart converter the colors are in black and white, I tried 2 different rca cables. My n64 is getting mess
Post automatically merged:

If it's a knock-off power supply (not Nintendo branded), then it probably runs hot anyway.

It doesn't matter if it's an EU power supply connected to an NTSC console. All the power supply does is convert 110v or 220v AC to 12v & 3.3v DC for the N64. Whether an unofficial power supply does this properly and/or efficiently, is a different question.

Honestly, the N64 probably needs the capacitors replaced.

SO in the case to take it to a retrogame shop to replace them. I tried to take a photo, but any photo or video I take, the white color on the photo is clear and nice..... but on the crt is totally yellow shaped

Last edited by Tackskull,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO in the case to take it to a retrogame shop to replace them. I tried to take a photo, but any photo or video I take, the white color on the photo is clear and nice..... but on the crt is totally yellow shaped
Hopefully whatever shop you go to doesn't botch the capacitor replacement. It should be pretty easy anyone properly equipped could do, but we all know how bad of a job some repair shops can do....

If you have a capture card that can input the N64, that'd be the best test case, but you probably don't have one...

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I found a solution.... maybe..... Basically by just upper the CRT lighting, and the contrast, all that yellow shape just gone, and the white result to be very white :D
I don't know if this can be a solution in the long term, but at leat I can play n64 decently

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://twitter.com/TakiUdon_/status/1784139240328310955?cxt=HBwW1sLVmfbLxMIxAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVf...