OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just picked up a 9.0 us blac and I'd like too get a flashcart and play online.

I've gone through a number of FAQs on the site but need some clarification. If my understanding is correct, I need a flashcart and a private header to play online. It also looks like skyds is the only n3ds that would allow online play. However, the skyds would limit me to 10 permenant games (and I wouldn't have to make a private header)

Do I have things correct?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since your firmware is below 9.2 I recommend gateway 3ds. Many more features then sky3ds and is actually cheaper

gateway will be releasing the update for it to work on new 3ds soon

inbetween123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gateway doesn't work on N3DS yet, so I wouldn't bet on it if you want to use a flashcart any time soon, due to the lack of updates.

taggart6

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just saw that the 10 game limit on the skyds was for the first batch of red button flashcarts and that the current blue button flashcarts don't have this issue. It is disappointing that it only works with pure 3ds rips but I guess that's what makes it 100% compatible for off and online use.

As for gateway, I just saw this on their website:

GATEWAY ULTRA 3.0.4 PUBLIC BETA

Posted on February 3, 2015
Today we present just a quick update for our users with 9.5 emunand. This fixes the multirom menu not showing up and various updates for properly supporting 9.5 emunand.
We also want to inform our users about some news regarding emunand support for the New 3DS:
We will not be able to support emunand 9.5 or higher for a while on the New 3DS. This is only an issue for the New 3DS, the old 3DS and 2DS will never have this issue. This is not a definitive barrier, but we feel it necessary to inform our users that while we are still working on releasing our New 3ds support, we will not be able to provide support yet for 9.5 emunand or higher for New 3DS on release.

And as always ENJOY!

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that gateway flashcarts will work with n3ds any time soon. I'm wondering if they'll release a n3ds specific cart in the future.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saw that the 10 game limit on the skyds was for the first batch of red button flashcarts and that the current blue button flashcarts don't have this issue. It is disappointing that it only works with pure 3ds rips but I guess that's what makes it 100% compatible for off and online use.

As for gateway, I just saw this on their website:

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that gateway flashcarts will work with n3ds any time soon. I'm wondering if they'll release a n3ds specific cart in the future.
Emunand is a fake nand loaded off the sd card, don't let it fool you. It's just a feature of the gateway.

Posted by gateway back in november

taggart6

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You need to dump your own cartridge so you have a private header

Can the game be loaded on the flashcard and then dumped to produce a private header, or do you need the actual game cartridge? Can you recommend a tutorial I can read to familiarize myself with the process and current options?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can the game be loaded on the flashcard and then dumped to produce a private header, or do you need the actual game cartridge? Can you recommend a tutorial I can read to familiarize myself with the process and current options?

You must have (or at least borrow/rent) a copy of the game so you can dump it for a private header. Also Sky cannot dump a game. Only Gateway can. Sky can edit headers but their is still the possibility of getting banned because it's not a real header obviously.

SuperJunkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway doesn't work with N3DS, get a sky3ds card. There is no game limit any more with sky, just limited to 32(I think) games per memory card that goes inside the sky card.

I just went through the same process as you, if you struggle to find a private header (I did, I ended up buying and returning a 3ds to get mine) let me know as I've just ripped three, one is for my use, and I ripped the others as I have 2 other genuine cartridges. I'd be willing to sell them for a reasonable price.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I might wait till gateway releases an update for n3DS 9.5. Been reading up and I like the added features it brings.

Believe me it's worth the wait. Also make sure you turn your wifi off so the 3ds doesn't try to download updates. Gateway only works 9.2 and below

When the emunand is released we will be able to play online with emunand 9.5 or whatever the newest update is by Nintendo.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may want to read the "Which Flashcart is right for me" thread. It lists all the pro's and cons of the endless GW vs. Sky3DS battle that is always waging on the forums.

taggart6

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I went ahead and updated to 9.5 so I could buy a copy of MH4U and play online. I have no doubts this will keep me occupied for the next few weeks/months easily. I figure I'll grab a gateway once it has 9.5 and n3ds support.

Thanks all for the help!

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure I'll grab a gateway once it has 9.5 and n3ds support.

Sadly, that may be a long time down the road. From the research I've done, it took them a long time just to get up to 9.2 on the original 3DS hardware. I don't know if they'll ever try to go up to 9.5 since by the time they actually do it, the interest of the 3DS will be over (speculation ofc).

What I'm doing is for online games, I'm just going to buy them and use roms for my already owned games that are just singleplayer w/ the wifi turned off. But, that's just me :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone