N3DS question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by taggart6, Feb 21, 2015.

1. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

Just picked up a 9.0 us blac and I'd like too get a flashcart and play online.

I've gone through a number of FAQs on the site but need some clarification. If my understanding is correct, I need a flashcart and a private header to play online. It also looks like skyds is the only n3ds that would allow online play. However, the skyds would limit me to 10 permenant games (and I wouldn't have to make a private header)

Do I have things correct?

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Since your firmware is below 9.2 I recommend gateway 3ds. Many more features then sky3ds and is actually cheaper

gateway will be releasing the update for it to work on new 3ds soon

3. inbetween123

inbetween123 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Gateway doesn't work on N3DS yet, so I wouldn't bet on it if you want to use a flashcart any time soon, due to the lack of updates.

4. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Just saw that the 10 game limit on the skyds was for the first batch of red button flashcarts and that the current blue button flashcarts don't have this issue. It is disappointing that it only works with pure 3ds rips but I guess that's what makes it 100% compatible for off and online use.

As for gateway, I just saw this on their website:

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that gateway flashcarts will work with n3ds any time soon. I'm wondering if they'll release a n3ds specific cart in the future.

5. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Emunand is a fake nand loaded off the sd card, don't let it fool you. It's just a feature of the gateway.

Posted by gateway back in november

6. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Would I still have to make a custom header for the sky3ds? This is my first 3ds system and the need for private/custom headers is pretty new to me.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    You need to dump your own cartridge so you have a private header

8. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles

Can the game be loaded on the flashcard and then dumped to produce a private header, or do you need the actual game cartridge? Can you recommend a tutorial I can read to familiarize myself with the process and current options?

9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    You must have (or at least borrow/rent) a copy of the game so you can dump it for a private header. Also Sky cannot dump a game. Only Gateway can. Sky can edit headers but their is still the possibility of getting banned because it's not a real header obviously.

10. SuperJunkey

SuperJunkey Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    Gateway doesn't work with N3DS, get a sky3ds card. There is no game limit any more with sky, just limited to 32(I think) games per memory card that goes inside the sky card.

I just went through the same process as you, if you struggle to find a private header (I did, I ended up buying and returning a 3ds to get mine) let me know as I've just ripped three, one is for my use, and I ripped the others as I have 2 other genuine cartridges. I'd be willing to sell them for a reasonable price.

11. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    I think I might wait till gateway releases an update for n3DS 9.5. Been reading up and I like the added features it brings.

Adeka likes this.
  12. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Believe me it's worth the wait. Also make sure you turn your wifi off so the 3ds doesn't try to download updates. Gateway only works 9.2 and below

When the emunand is released we will be able to play online with emunand 9.5 or whatever the newest update is by Nintendo.

13. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    You may want to read the "Which Flashcart is right for me" thread. It lists all the pro's and cons of the endless GW vs. Sky3DS battle that is always waging on the forums.

14. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Well I went ahead and updated to 9.5 so I could buy a copy of MH4U and play online. I have no doubts this will keep me occupied for the next few weeks/months easily. I figure I'll grab a gateway once it has 9.5 and n3ds support.

Thanks all for the help!

15. Locke644

Locke644 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    Sadly, that may be a long time down the road. From the research I've done, it took them a long time just to get up to 9.2 on the original 3DS hardware. I don't know if they'll ever try to go up to 9.5 since by the time they actually do it, the interest of the 3DS will be over (speculation ofc).

What I'm doing is for online games, I'm just going to buy them and use roms for my already owned games that are just singleplayer w/ the wifi turned off. But, that's just me :)