n3ds microsd hatch

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by romanaOne, Dec 11, 2015.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Has anyone ever 3d printed a replacement bottom plate for the n3ds xl with easy, no-tools sd access? Or maybe used a dremel or something to cut an original one? It would be so cool if there were some kind of opening or ideally a closeable hatch to remove the card.

Surely, someone good with shop tools or a 3ds printer has thought of this? (I won't call you "surely." :) )

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    You really don't need to remove the card from the n3ds. There's a settings option to use your memory card over a wifi connection on your computer that has decent speeds. It's called "Micro SD Managment".

3. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Except that tranfer speed is really low, so it's a pain with big files

Ammako likes this.
  4. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
  5. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    People are 3D printing decorated backs but I think it is only for the smaller Japanese 3DS.
    They were for sale on etsy a while ago. Even if they did have a 3DS XL sized one, I doubt I would buy one because I'm not really that impressed with the quality of other 3D printed cases I've tried: they're often warped, brittle, and crumbly. Perhaps if the prices were a tad lower.... Anyhow, a half-decent machinist can do way better work than these overpriced (and over-hyped) junk factories--the parts actually come out to spec most of the time!

If I had a spare back, I'd use one of those round drill-bits to make a circular hole and 3D-print just the ~quarter-sized plug. Probably get one the right size to after 10-15 tries, LOL.

6. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
  7. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the keywords! I wasn't sure what it was called until I saw the Nintendo site. You can also get them on eBay for 11.98. Time to get out the drill and duct tape.