n3DS Hardmod to reverse accidental brick?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by woop_woop2, Mar 3, 2016.

1. woop_woop2
    OP

woop_woop2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    Apologies if this is the wrong area to post this in, but...

I had purchased the Pokemon n3DS not too long ago and was going through the downgrade process so that I could install cfw on it, but I accidentally overlooked the files I were trying to install and wound up bricking my system due to installing the o3ds firmware on it. A couple of nice folks over at a irc chat informed me that my two remaining options for redemption were to either: a) Send it in to Nintendo and feign ignorance in an attempt to get them to fix/ship a new system since it's still under warranty, or b) See if it was possible to get someone to hardmod the system so they could see if flashing an o3ds header onto it would make it boot again.

Would there happen to be anyone I could possibly get to try this out, or is my best be to just bite the bullet and send it in to Nintendo? :(

2. XXLANCEXX

XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 13, 2009
    United States
    In my house
    if you cant find anyone to hard mod then send it back
    you will have 10.6 if you ship it to nintendo
    and also Read next time and double check the rar file

3. Rayzark

Rayzark giooig

Nov 11, 2015
    Italy
    Roma
    Hi! So if you have a nand backup you could do the hard mod to your n3ds, But for me the best option is sending it to nintendo. I deleted all the files on the sd card and 2 weeks they give it to me fixed, but with 10.3 firmware. Be aware that they will upgrade your 3ds to 10.6.

EDIT::ph34r:

4. woop_woop2
    OP

woop_woop2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    Did it cost anything extra when they sent it back, or did the warranty cover it?

5. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Hardmod is not an option for you since you were downgrading from 10.2 there is no way you could have made a nand backup before withou having your system harmodded already...

In any case, try to take it back to the store where you bought it first, not Nintendo, the store itself could refund you.

If you end up shipping it to Nintendo you would be paying for shipping.

6. woop_woop2
    OP

woop_woop2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    I wish I could, but unfortunately I work at the Gamestop that I bought it from, and it took a hell of a lot for me to get the system. I'm not sure it'd fly over so well, and I'm pretty worried my manager might know what exactly happened if I suddenly came back and tried to convince them that it was defective...

7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I doubt your manager knows about downgrades lol, anyways, you loose nothing by talking to him right?If he behaves like an asshole then you drop it and go directly to Nintendo.

8. Harvest God

Harvest God Er a pixel artist?

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Don't send to nintendo if you don't want hax, it's guaranteed to be on latest firmware, just do what he said above ^.

Edit: If you bought your 3ds like a long time ago, just say you bought a n3ds and that you decided to give that bricked 3ds, that you never opened, to your nephew or whoever to make it more believable

Last edited by Harvest God, Mar 4, 2016
  9. Tigroid

Tigroid GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Internet
    Nintendo has always sent me a label for shipping. Just print it, tape it on the packaging, and send it.
    Couldn't he just use a hardmod to dump the NAND and then follow this guide: http://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-hard...of-native_firm-from-10-4-10-5-to-10-2.412836/ to go back to 10.2 and then downgrade to 9.2 after Nintendo sends it back?

I like it.

10. Ne2buntu

Ne2buntu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Just give it to your manager and say him that an update was freezing like about 1h during, so your only option was to shutdown the 3DS. And now this is the result....

Last edited by Ne2buntu, Mar 4, 2016
    Xenon Hacks likes this.
  11. Harvest God

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Not Possible he didn't make a nand backup so flashing back is not an option anymore as said here

12. Tigroid

Tigroid GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Internet
    Tell your manager
    Sorry, I was under the impression that if he sent it to nintendo, got it back on FW 10.6, and installed a hardmod he could then dump the NAND using the hardmod. I recently had to send my 3DS to nintendo, so I was really hoping I could extract a NAND using a hardmod...

13. Harvest God

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Yeah that is an option, but shipping it, getting someone to do hardmod (to downgrade to 10.2 and to 9.2, which again might result in brick), That would take too long and it's a lot of money, so exchanging it would be the better option. But yes that is possible

Last edited by Harvest God, Mar 4, 2016
  14. Tigroid

Tigroid GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Internet
    Oh, Ok. My bad. I didn't understand earlier, lol.

Yeah, exchange it.

15. link270

link270 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    I'm just interested to see what your manager says. haha

Like others have said, I would just say that is stopped working during an update. (In a sense its true, beacuse you were 'updating' some specific files on the unit before it started having issues ;) )

16. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Legend

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Don't tell your manager that you were downgrading or whatever, they may know and refuse a refund. Just say you played it and left it off. When you returned it wouldn't turn on. Despite if it's your manager or not, if within period they should offer a replacement or refund. You could even take it to a different GameStop and get them to-do it.

Else then you have to return it to Nintendo .

17. woop_woop2
    OP

woop_woop2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    Many thanks for your replies guys. I feel bad for doing it, but I suppose saying that it froze during an update and corrupted is a good enough story. If I do get it returned though, do any of you know what firmware the Fire Emblem Fates 3DSXL is on? That's the only other 3DS that my store has that I'd want.

18. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States

19. woop_woop2
    OP

woop_woop2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, thank you very much.