Hacking N3DS Error: Insert Content Failed

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have been having some trouble with my N3DS regarding the MicroSD card, since I used it with a defective MicroSD to USB adapter and that corrupted some files and also the file system
(You can read more about this on my threads "https://gbatemp.net/threads/n2ds-sd-card-data-management-corruption.546698/" and "https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-bros-for-3ds-couldnt-access-the-sd-card.548055/")

And over the past weeks, it has been giving me troubles regarding game saves getting corrupted out of nowhere. But today, I went to open Zelda OOT 3D, and it just gave an "ARM9 Data Abort" Error, and it wouldn't launch the game at all. So I put my MicroSD card on my computer and I ran "chkdsk" on CMD and it found lots of corrupted files, supposedly repaired them, also found many errors on the file system, supposedly repaired them as well. And after all that I went immediately to "Rebuild the 3ds Database" using option "B" on "CTR Transfer TypeD9", because I thought that could help. But I have already received the error shown on the attached image twice, and I'm not sure about what should I do right now. Any help is highly appreciated :(

Attachments

• IMG_20191216_094530085.jpg
    IMG_20191216_094530085.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So I have been having some trouble with my N3DS regarding the MicroSD card, since I used it with a defective MicroSD to USB adapter and that corrupted some files and also the file system
(You can read more about this on my threads "https://gbatemp.net/threads/n2ds-sd-card-data-management-corruption.546698/" and "https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-bros-for-3ds-couldnt-access-the-sd-card.548055/")

And over the past weeks, it has been giving me troubles regarding game saves getting corrupted out of nowhere. But today, I went to open Zelda OOT 3D, and it just gave an "ARM9 Data Abort" Error, and it wouldn't launch the game at all. So I put my MicroSD card on my computer and I ran "chkdsk" on CMD and it found lots of corrupted files, supposedly repaired them, also found many errors on the file system, supposedly repaired them as well. And after all that I went immediately to "Rebuild the 3ds Database" using option "B" on "CTR Transfer TypeD9", because I thought that could help. But I have already received the error shown on the attached image twice, and I'm not sure about what should I do right now. Any help is highly appreciated :(

Hello,my Friend.:)

Oh,that is very sad to hear....

First please,did you checked the microSD Card with

H2testw 1.4
https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

of any "damages" ?

What happens when you try booting without the microSD Card ?

Thank you.:)

Reactions: NoSnake221

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I sure checked it with h2testw when I bought it back in the day, and it showed up fine, but after using it with the defective adapter, I didn't make another check..

And last time I checked, when I try booting without the microSD card the splash screen shows up, and then it boots up just fine, without the games, programs, badges, and without the custom theme of course. Only with the default theme and factory programs.

Last edited by NoSnake221,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Well I sure checked it with h2testw when I bought it back in the day, and it showed up fine, but after using it with the defective adapter, I didn't make another check..

And last time I checked, when I try booting without the microSD card the splash screen shows up, and then it boots up just fine, without the games, programs, badges, and without the custom theme of course. Only with the default theme and factory programs.

Ok,then maybe the Adapter (again one of this cheap produced damned China Things....) is responsible for the Data/microSD Card Corruption.
Can you maybe try another one ?

And also you can try to boot with only a fresh downloaded "boot.firm" from Luma3SDs

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v10.0.1

on the SD Cards Root,to see it is REALLY the SD Card Adapter.

Last edited by Alexander1970,

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, I think you might have got it wrong my friend, you see, the 3ds boots up just fine, the problem is I get files corrupted out of nowhere every now and then. Mostly game save files. So right now I'm running CTRTransfer (Type D9) "https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543" On my 3ds to see if I can fix that problem. I'm pretty sure that the adapter which I used back then (An old r4itt microSD to USB adapter) was faulty and corrupted many things in my MicroSD card. I tossed that adapter once I figured this out. Right now I'm using a laptop that has a built-in adapter :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tho once the script finishes doing its job (If it ever finishes), I'll try downloading the newest Luma boot.firm and I'll replace it on my microSD card, just in case it might have something to do.

Right now I'm mostly worried about the fact that I may have done something I shouldn't by running "Chkdsk" on my microSD card, and I'm also worried about the meaning of the error I got which is shown on the image.. because I don't know what does it mean, and I don't know what should I do about it:unsure:

Last edited by NoSnake221,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Um, I think you might have got it wrong my friend, you see, the 3ds boots up just fine, the problem is I get files corrupted out of nowhere every now and then. Mostly game save files. So right now I'm running CTRTransfer (Type D9) "https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543" On my 3ds to see if I can fix that problem. I'm pretty sure that the adapter which I used back then (An old r4itt microSD to USB adapter) was faulty and corrupted many things in my MicroSD card. I tossed that adapter once I figured this out. Right now I'm using a laptop that has a built-in adapter :)

Tho once the script finishes doing its job (If it ever finishes), I'll try downloading the newest Luma boot.firm and I'll replace it on my microSD card, just in case it might have something to do.

Right now I'm mostly worried about the fact that I may have done something I shouldn't by running "Chkdsk" on my microSD card, and I'm also worried about the meaning of the error I got which is shown on the image.. because I don't know what does it mean, and I don't know what should I do about it:unsure:

Ok,now I see it better and clearer.Excuse me,when I gave you the Wrong Direction and Advises.:blush:

I am not familiar with the CTR Transfer (at the Moment).
Unfortunately I do not know what this Error Message(s) means.....
So I am afraid,I am not really useful for you for this Issue.:(

But have no fear,there are many helpful People here,which can you help for sure.
Please have a little Patience.:)

Thank you for your understanding.:)

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Ok,now I see it better and clearer.Excuse me,when I gave you the Wrong Direction and Advises.:blush:

I am not familiar with the CTR Transfer (at the Moment).
Unfortunately I do not know what this Error Message(s) means.....
So I am afraid,I am not really useful for you for this Issue.:(

But have no fear,there are many helpful People here,which can you help for sure.
Please have a little Patience.:)

Thank you for your understanding.:)
Oh, well thank you anyway, I hope either @TurdPooCharger or @Quantumcat come here soon.. they know some more about CTRTransfer TypeD9 than the rest of us do.. ^_^

Best of lucks pal :)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you're gonna have to repatriation the card. I recommend using gparted as it can build an entirely new partition table. Use a save manager to backup any saves (if possible), and nuke the card. If the partition itself is corrupted, there's nothing you can do other than making a new one.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I put my MicroSD card on my computer and I ran "chkdsk" on CMD and it found lots of corrupted files, supposedly repaired them, also found many errors on the file system, supposedly repaired them as well.
Even if chkdsk can recover some of the damage, in some cases it is quite possible that it would only be able to partially recover some of the data – which could in turn lead to all sorts of weird and random errors.

I agree with the above – recover your save data and then start over from scratch. (If you can't access your save data with Checkpoint or JKSM, then you can try using ninfs or threeSD on a PC.)

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: CTRTransfer TypeD9 finished running. It backed up the CIAs and they're currently reinstalling. However, seems like 3 CIAs couldn't be backed up and now they're lost..

Sounds like you're gonna have to repatriation the card. I recommend using gparted as it can build an entirely new partition table. Use a save manager to backup any saves (if possible), and nuke the card. If the partition itself is corrupted, there's nothing you can do other than making a new one.
Say, you mean make a save of all games with checkpoint, format the SD card, and then repartition it with this gparted, am I right?

Even if chkdsk can recover some of the damage, in some cases it is quite possible that it would only be able to partially recover some of the data – which could in turn lead to all sorts of weird and random errors.

I agree with the above – recover your save data and then start over from scratch. (If you can't access your save data with Checkpoint or JKSM, then you can try using ninfs or threeSD on a PC.)
And yes, these weird and random errors are the current problem I've been having :(

Tho, if I bought a new microSD card, and then copied all the files from my current SD card to the new one, there should be no more problems, right?

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update #2: The CIAs and the game saves got installed correctly, but I'd really appreciate that someone could tell me what else should I do to maintain the SD card safe and without any random errors occurring all out of nowhere:unsure:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I think it's about time to replace that SD card. They don't last forever. The one in my phone is failing after about 3 years of use - it seems to work right now after a full format (though I am not using it for anything important anymore for fear of losing data), but chkdsk /F /R X: (in cmd) found bad clusters on it, and gave an error that it wasn't able to remap all of them, which means there are still bad clusters somewhere on that card that can cause file corruption at any moment and there's nothing that can be done about it.

You may want to run the chkdsk command I mentioned though, a normal scan won't check for bad clusters and those can be a cause of reoccurring corruption like you mention.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Say, you mean make a save of all games with checkpoint, format the SD card, and then repartition it with this gparted, am I right?
You won't have to format it beforehand. gparted does all the work, though you may want to format it with the Windows formatter afterward so you can set the cluster size.

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You won't have to format it beforehand. gparted does all the work, though you may want to format it with the Windows formatter afterward so you can set the cluster size.
And before all this, I copy all my files to the PC so I can put them in the MicroSD card after the repartition, right?

I think it's about time to replace that SD card. They don't last forever. The one in my phone is failing after about 3 years of use - it seems to work right now after a full format (though I am not using it for anything important anymore for fear of losing data), but chkdsk /F /R X: (in cmd) found bad clusters on it, and gave an error that it wasn't able to remap all of them, which means there are still bad clusters somewhere on that card that can cause file corruption at any moment and there's nothing that can be done about it.

You may want to run the chkdsk command I mentioned though, a normal scan won't check for bad clusters and those can be a cause of reoccurring corruption like you mention.
Believe me, I would have bought another one if it weren't for the fact of that I'm currently running pretty low on budget, so if I can fix my current SD card I'd be glad. I'll try running Chkdsk with /F /R /X then :)

it seems to work right now after a full format (though I am not using it for anything important anymore for fear of losing data), but chkdsk /F /R X: (in cmd) found bad clusters on it, and gave an error that it wasn't able to remap all of them, which means there are still bad clusters somewhere on that card that can cause file corruption at any moment and there's nothing that can be done about it.
Tho I'd like to know, what does /X do?

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I put my MicroSD card on my computer and I ran "chkdsk" on CMD and it found lots of corrupted files, supposedly repaired them, also found many errors on the file system, supposedly repaired them as well.

Okay, so even if I had already ran chkdsk with /F, I ran it again with /F /R /X and the SD card showed up fine. Here is the output, @The Real Jdbye

It's safer to start with new files due to the corruption. You won't know what is and isn't corrupted, so you may end up copying back bad files.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Can I get a link to the files I'll have to put in the MicroSD card once I make the card's repartition pls?

Attachments

• IMG-20191216-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20191216-WA0007.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 154

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In terms of CFW? All you really need is boot.firm and boot.3dsx. The "Nintendo 3DS" folder is regenerated automatically by the 3DS.
Okay, so I guess I'll have to wait for my 3ds firmware version to be supported on https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ before being able to download the boot.3dsx file. However, repartitioning the card means losing all my games and such stuff so I'll use this as a last resort if I notice that "chkdsk" didn't fix all corruption.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, so I guess I'll have to wait for my 3ds firmware version to be supported on https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ before being able to download the boot.3dsx file. However, repartitioning the card means losing all my games and such stuff so I'll use this as a last resort if I notice that "chkdsk" didn't fix all corruption.
You can't use that boot.3dsx, it's not supported by Luma3DS. You have to use this one (any firmware supported): https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases/

And before all this, I copy all my files to the PC so I can put them in the MicroSD card after the repartition, right?

Believe me, I would have bought another one if it weren't for the fact of that I'm currently running pretty low on budget, so if I can fix my current SD card I'd be glad. I'll try running Chkdsk with /F /R /X then :)

Tho I'd like to know, what does /X do?
I didn't tell you to use /X, all that does is forcibly unmount the drive.

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro