Hacking N3DS 2.1.0 Downgrade

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just noticed that Plailect's has been updated. Now, all devices go trough the OTP route. So does this means that downgrading N3DS SysNAND without having EmuNAND and CFW is now possible without bricking? If yes, gonna resume my getting otp.bin plan.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed that Plailect's has been updated. Now, all devices go trough the OTP route. So does this means that downgrading N3DS SysNAND without having EmuNAND and CFW is now possible without bricking? If yes, gonna resume my getting otp.bin plan.

it uses a ctrnand transfer to flash a 2.1 nand to your sysnand. it is safer and quicker than downgrading with emunand and then flash emunand. BUT, this does not mean you won't brick using it, there is always a chance of brick at any step.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have a9lh then you don't need your otp. It isn't used at all and isn't useful.

The guide just added back what it was with the ctrtransfer method. You don't "downgrade" but instead flash a premade nand backup from a different console.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it uses a ctrnand transfer to flash a 2.1 nand to your sysnand. it is safer and quicker than downgrading with emunand and then flash emunand. BUT, this does not mean you won't brick using it, there is always a chance of brick at any step.
I'm asking because some while ago, I got this reply to my thread about getting my otp.bin:
Isn't that only on old 3DS that Luma works on 2.1? Also, don't you have to downgrade emuNAND first so it can be unbricked, then flash that to sysNAND? A direct 2.1 downgrade on an N3DS will always brick.

I probably shouldn't be saying this though, he might not do it now. I was sort of looking forward to seeing stupidity be repaid :D

Also, what exactly should I do if I already have a9lh+Luma3DS+BootCTR9+EmuNAND? Just uninstall a9lh, open homebrew on SysNAND (9.2), downgrade to 2.1 through CTRtransfer and re-install a9lh?

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.1 on N3DS is somewhat hackish; it involves re-encrypting the CTR-NAND partition using keyslot 0x04. (N3DS CTR-NAND is normally keyslot 0x05.) Some functionality probably doesn't work right, but it's usable for the purpose of obtaining the OTP.

While Luma3DS does support 2.1 in SysNAND, A9LH uses an 8.x N3DS FIRM for the actual initial boot process, which AFAIK causes OTP to be disabled. You may need to do a CTRNAND transfer to 9.2, remove A9LH, then CTRNAND transfer to 2.1. (Remember to back up your sysNAND first.)

(Sidenote: Do NOT, under any circumstances, close the screen while running 2.1 on an N3DS. This will result in a hard MCU brick that cannot be easily fixed.)

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hyoretsu You don't need to fetch your otp. It was only useful for the first time install. No homebrew programs use it expect for one but you can do the same thing with luma in ctrnand and better.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Hyoretsu You don't need to fetch your otp. It was only useful for the first time install. No homebrew programs use it expect for one but you can do the same thing with luma in ctrnand and better.
Yeah, I know, just want to make a backup of it.

Also, just figured I lost my pre-a9lh backup, so gotta uninstall a9lh, make a backup while I'm on 9.2 SysNAND and then re-install a9lh anyways.

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country

It can still brick I believe,

Also, here's a tip, make sure you do not close a N3DS when in 2.1.0 it will brick!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm asking because some while ago, I got this reply to my thread about getting my otp.bin:

Also, what exactly should I do if I already have a9lh+Luma3DS+BootCTR9+EmuNAND? Just uninstall a9lh, open homebrew on SysNAND (9.2), downgrade to 2.1 through CTRtransfer and re-install a9lh?
You don't need your OTP. Trying to get it is a huge risk with absolutely ZERO reward. Give it up!!!!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I still gotta get my pre-a9lh backup because I lost it.
No you don't - if you want to uninstall a9lh you can do so through SafeARM9Installer (and in fact you will have to to be able to downgrade to 2.1). If you want to be able to go back to an earlier version of your 3DS - getting a NAND backup right now without a9lh installed isn't going to help that.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does a9lh blocks homebrew somehow? I'm trying to launch freakyhax, but when I select the QR code, nothing happens.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You don't need your OTP. Trying to get it is a huge risk with absolutely ZERO reward. Give it up!!!!
Done. Got my otp.bin and pre-a9lh backup. Right now, I'm restoring my 9.2 SysNAND backup. Only "hassle" I had was after I installed a9lh, because I still had BootCTR9's a9lh.bin, so it booted Luma3DS by default but stayed on black screen. At first, I didn't notice my splashscreen for Luma, so I tought I had bricked. Happily, I hadn't.

Also, cool profile image.

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Done. Got my otp.bin and pre-a9lh backup. Right now, I'm restoring my 9.2 SysNAND backup. Only "hassle" I had was after I installed a9lh, because I still had BootCTR9's a9lh.bin, so it booted Luma3DS by default but stayed on black screen. At first, I didn't notice my splashscreen for Luma, so I tought I had bricked. Happily, I hadn't.

Also, cool profile image.
How did you go about uninstalling a9lh without a nand-backup from pre-a9lh?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
What's this? Only downgraded to 2.1, installed a9lh, restore previous 9.2 backup through Hourglass9 and restored my BootCTR9's arm9loaderhax.bin
You mentioned wanting to take a clean NAND backup without a9lh installed, just not sure how you removed your currently installed a9lh if you even did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?