1. GravityLoL

OP GravityLoL GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    N2DSXL, CFW Luma 10.0.1 with OFW 11.5.0-38E.

Recently, i Noticed that battery in my console drains quick as heck. Like, it can't last more then 4h without charging during normal play.
    What i also noticed is that durring instaling CIA's, juice runs out extremely fast.
    I did little test - i took my old N3DSXL with same CFW and OFW, charged them up both to 100% and installed the same game.
    At N3DSXL it only took 10-15% of battery, on 2DSXL, it took over 30%.
    I didn't used my 2DS too often since i got switch, i just recently decided to go back to it and i remember it having a better condition.

Any ideas what could be a cause or how to fix it? I know some games take more juice, some less but running the same game ( mainly Pokmeon Ultra Sun) in the same time. there's over an hour of difference between two console. I know that N3DS has larger battery but still, N2DS shouldn't be that bad as i remember it, being on par in old days

I'm open for suggestions here, i'm taking into consideration that i may need to get new battery but i would like to hear your opinion's first

2. KokoseiJ

KokoseiJ GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast

Korea, South
    2DSXL has 450mAh smaller battery size compared to N3DSXL. O3DS has the same battery size to 2DSXL so You should compare it using the O3DS model.

3. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

United Kingdom
    The 3DS family is not exactly known for long running time (compared to previous DS versions). Four hours for the CTR-003 battery (the small one) does not sound too bad – depending on brightness setting, and WiFi (on/off). On low brightness it should last longer than four hours though.

Maybe the battery is not in perfect condition anymore. If it gets worse consider replacing the battery. Be careful when opening N2DSXL shell – really easy to damage something. Not kidding here! I (sadly) know what I'm talking about.

It is very hard to compare different models with each other. The O3DS and the O2DS have small screens (backlight power usage). Old and new series have completely different CPU.

There is a comparison chart on Wikipedia → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS#Comparison with information about battery running time. The 1400mAh rating for the N2DSXL battery on that chart seems wrong. The official CTR-003 battery has 1300mAh and one from a N2DSXL saying "1300mAh" is lying right next to my laptop at the moment.
    ============

I have will do a comparison (N2DSXL vs. N3DSXL) myself tomorrow.

GravityLoL and alexander1970 like this.
  4. KokoseiJ

KokoseiJ GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast

Korea, South
    Ah, forgot about that, thanks for pointing it out.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. GravityLoL

Poland
    Gonna try to make battery dry and let it charge to the fullest. Maybe simple reset will be enough

6. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

United Kingdom
    You can try this but as far as I know the 2|3DS don't have a coulomb counter (energy meter, "smart battery") that profits from calibration after a few months. One of my N3DSXL went nuts for no apparent reason requiring battery removal to get back to normal. The problem never came back.

Started the test a few minutes ago. Expect results in several hours (will edit this post when done)

Edit – results:

A bit surprising. The N2DSXL performed way better than expected. It is pretty power conserving compared to the N3DSXL.
    N2DSXL running Mario Kart 7 from SD 100% → 5% (flashing red light) about 5h 50min
    N3DSXL running Mario Kart 7 from SD 100% → 5% (flashing reg light) about 6h 40min

In both case the test conditions were as comparable as possible:
    • No cartridge inserted
    • WiFi off
    • brightness setting 3 (automatic adjustment off)
    • power saving on
    • 3D off on the N3DSXL
    @GravityLoL
    As much as I would like to test a game utilizing the functions of the "New" series – like a newer Pokemon title – I can't. Better say: I won't. I have none of the games that would be suitable for this twice (as cartridge) and the N2DSXL does not have CFW installed. This limits the test to the preinstalled Mario Kart 7.

A "fair" test is impossible without CFW (although retail DS games use virtually no power I don't know about 3DS).

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Jul 23, 2020
  7. GravityLoL

Poland
    K @KleinesSinchen , i drained it all up, gonna charge it up and see how long it'll last. I thinkt this time, it lasted a little longer then on previous chrage...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - battery, drainin, N2DSXL