Gaming [n00b question] how does Steam work?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,305
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
I got a new laptop the other day and really want to pick up Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy. But AFAIK it's only available on Steam. And I've never used Steam before.

Can you play games purchased from Steam offline?

Can you access Steam in mainland China?

If I reformat my laptop can I re-download shit I've purchased from Steam?

Is there anything else I should know before getting started?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Let's see if I help...

1- You can play your installed games when you are offline, this is the rule for single player games. There are some exceptions for some specifics game titles, so a good research before you buy is a good advice.

2- Even that I'm not 100% sure, I do believe that steam is accessible in China. At least I can tell that Steam do accept Yuans.

3- As long as you do not loose your credentials (user name and password), you can format your laptop ad many times as you want, you will keep your games.

4- Things to know before you go: With Steam you should take the same safety measures that you wold take for any online store. Take care of you password, your credit card, etc, that's my main recommendation.

D

Deleted User

OP
Something I should have asked about in the first post but didn't cross my mind when I wrote it is when does Steam generally put their shit on sale? I'm not buying a $80 game now when it might go down to $40 on sale.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Something I should have asked about in the first post but didn't cross my mind when I wrote it is when does Steam generally put their shit on sale? I'm not buying a $80 game now when it might go down to $40 on sale.
There are seasonal sales. The big two are the Summer Sale (which has passed this year) and the Holiday Sale (sometime in December, runs for a few weeks). These are the ones you'll see AAA titles see some significant price cuts.

Reactions: Deleted User

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you play games purchased from Steam offline? - Yes, you just cannot use online functionality of course

Can you access Steam in mainland China? - Idk

If I reformat my laptop can I re-download shit I've purchased from Steam? - Yes as long as you still have acsess to your steam account, you can play your games on any PC, or MAC.

Is there anything else I should know before getting started? - If you want PS3/PS4 Leveled graphics get a good PC or Laptop that can handle it or else your going to regret getting Steam (A certain type of CPU and GPU should just be about enough.). I bought my PC thinking it was a gaming PC but unfortunately it wasn't and it was underpowered so do your homework if you want to play some of the better well known titles out there.

Last edited by petethepug,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam sales are bollocks these days. 9/10 times it's cheaper elsewhere. Been shit ever since they got rid of flash and daily sales.

D

Deleted User

OP
Is there any way to stop steam from starting automatically when my computer starts and to block it from accessing the internet when I'm not actually using it?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Is there any way to stop steam from starting automatically when my computer starts and to block it from accessing the internet when I'm not actually using it?
To avoid steam starting on boot: On upper left corner, click on "steam", than on "settings" and than on "interface". There are a checkbox to disable the steam start on boot.

To avoid steam start online: I see that you are concerned in some way about not be online on steam at all. To ensure this 100% I suggest you to remain offline when you boot steam, then choose to start offline. Note that it will only work if you have your credentials saved on your computer before.

D

Deleted User

OP
First of all...
-You don't buy a physical game, you buy a subscription to x product. That means, valve at any time can take it away from you or ban you from it completely
and I don't want to talk anymore so here's that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things