Hacking n00b @lert!! which solution for a 9yr old?

binkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, i have found a UK supplier, and am about to place an order, i thought i would ask before i checkout, are there any problems/compatibility etc I should look for when buying an msd card?
This is what i have in my basket,
R4
MicroSD Card

Opinions?

Oh, and im nearly 40, pong was about the only game around when i was a kid, when i was about 15 the sinclair ZX range came out.
My school computer, yes just one for the whole school was so big it was on a huge trolley made by the metalwork dept., it needed 3 ppl to move it.

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i have found a UK supplier, and am about to place an order, i thought i would ask before i checkout, are there any problems/compatibility etc I should look for when buying an msd card?
This is what i have in my basket,
R4
MicroSD Card

Opinions?

Oh, and im nearly 40, pong was about the only game around when i was a kid, when i was about 15 the sinclair ZX range came out.
My school computer, yes just one for the whole school was so big it was on a huge trolley made by the metalwork dept., it needed 3 ppl to move it.
That card should work fine, if it is made in Japan, which you can't find out unless you buy it...

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What about DS-Linker, N-Card, XP Card, Fire Linker (they are exactly the same card). They have great compatibility and a colorful and easy to use menu. No patching required, it's just straightforward.
And they are very cheap and they have in built memory. They also all have different firmwares but you can use all the firmwares on all the devices, for example you could use the DS-Linker firmware on the XP Card etc.

- Sam

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i wish my parents would get me a DS if i were 9
sleep.gif
Lol, My brother has a DS Lite...and he's six.
tongue.gif

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't put too many games on the card or they get greedy. If you give them like 4 at a time they will be forced to complete get their plays worth out of them. Give them a load of them and they just go from one to the other never really making any progress on the games.

or maybe thats just because my sister has A.D.D
tongue.gif

NetixRiqua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
give her a limitation.. like one game a week.. or one game a month... im one of the youngest members of the community and i really fooked up the part of the brain that gets bored... it gets bored too often... so now i have to play mafia down at the mafiascum forums
biggrin.gif

Migugu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
you can also buy Action replay Max duo, where you can save game data of your real game on your pc, and then transfer it all to a flashcard and so you can play all your games

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WTF: I wouldn't give a microSD solution to any 9 year old. Are you guys mad?

a) The little bugger might swallow the thing
b) The little bugger will lose the thing

Stick with G6 real or DS-X.
Ncard is probably easier to use. Just get the latest savetype list from the MK5 website and update it frequently.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No offense, but I think you were given bad information in relation to your needs. I don't think most people here know what it's like from a parenting point of view since everyone here's about 14 anyways.

The R4 is probably the best flashcart solution due to $$$, but if you're giving it to a child under 10, it would be ridiculous

edit: Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words, and here is why:

microsd_01.jpg

The reason why I recommend the G6 Real or DS-X is because both are internal memory (no losing/swallowing of tiny flash media - Then link this with bawling-child syndrome and you have the perfect recipe for a shit day). The DS-X has the advantage that it includes a built in USB interface.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let's assume the kid's not retarded for a moment, eh? Didn't you play with LEGOs and similar when you were kids? Didn't you assemble toys from Kinder Surprise eggs? How many parts did you swallow after the age of 4?

And if you establish a rule that if the kid loses a card, you'll buy the next one in a month (or two), not the next day, just wait and see how carefully the kid guards the card and how anal retentive (s)he gets about handling it.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, sure I'm not saying his 9 yr old child is retarded at all. But the end of the day, she's still 9 you're giving her MicroSDs?
Someone mentioned that giving her MicroSD solution would be ideal because "children will have experience with transflash from mobile phones". She's nine for fucks sakes?

Regarding lego: Nope, I didn't swallow any, but yes, I lost helluva load! Then I'd whine at my parents. But just because me and you didn't swallow lego, doesn't mean that many children out there haven't. Besides, a MicroSD is much much smaller than any lego piece (except maybe those lego heads
rofl2.gif
)

At the end of the day tho, the G6 Real and DS-X are much more user friendly... just pricier. The only reason why R4 trounces the DS-X are a) updates and b) price.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope you did the right thing by ordering an R4
I mean it's a girl and it's a 9 year old. Plus I assume she doesn't know any english. So I believe she has very limited game choices, I say not more then 10(it's even too many). So just buy the original games. Once she's done with a game, trade it or sell it.
Oh, if you want to play with her DS too, then you did the right choice, but If you're buying only for her, I think she really doesn't need an R4 at all.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I mean it's a girl and it's a 9 year old. Plus I assume she doesn't know any english. So I believe she has very limited game choices, I say not more then 10(it's even too many).
You know they make games in other languages too, right?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No offense, but I think you were given bad information in relation to your needs. I don't think most people here know what it's like from a parenting point of view since everyone here's about 14 anyways.

The R4 is probably the best flashcart solution due to $$$, but if you're giving it to a child under 10, it would be ridiculous

His kid would have to be seriously slow to swallow a microsd card. My daughter plays on her DS/R4 without problems and she isn't even half the age of his child. She also realises that if the game she wants isn't on the list it must be on the other card. At first she of course tried to change it herself but now she comes to an adult to do it for her. A nine year old will have no problem putting the microsd card into the computer and copying the games she wants over herself, never mind changing microsd cards.

She's nine - most kids are given mobiles for their birthday by 5 or 6. (mine will never get one, as they fry your brain - but most kids have been using a mobile for years by the age of 9). You seriously underestimate kids if you think they have trouble operating a computer and having access to transflash by 10 years of age.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
N-Card clone would be best. Kid won't be able to damage it that easily as a microd sd based solution. Also, it's very cheap. In case kid loses it, you can always buy another one.

I recommend buying DS Fire Link, it's the cheapest of the clones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2