Hacking n00b here help pls

Vincent Vicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Hey guys so i bought a O3DS with a ver 2.2 i know its old so im thinking about updating it.
1- What's the best firmware version i should update to if i want to use CFWs ?
2- Can i install CFWs without a flashcart ?
3- I can play 3ds roms on the cfw ?
4- I hope u guys can answer this one i see many people says dont ask about it and such ..
- what's CIA ?
Thanks alot in advance !!

Last edited by Vincent Vicious,
Reactions: I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1: 9.2
2: Yes, but you might need Cubic Ninja
3: Yes on certain cfw (Pasta, Cakes and gateway come to mind)
4: A CIA is a file type that install as apps/games on the home menu

Reactions: Vincent Vicious

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1- What's the best firmware version i should update to if i want to use CFWs ? Find a game to update to 4.5 you can find a list of games with 4.5 here 3dsdb.com (You can update to 9.2 in the tutorial I linked)

- Can i install CFWs without a flashcart ? Yes use rxTools use this tutorial to set it up https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

- I can play 3ds roms on the cfw ? Yes in the CIA format this includes homebrew and VC

- I hope u guys can answer this one i see many people says dont ask about it and such ..
- what's CIA ? CIA I believe it stands for CTR Installable Archive basically it's an archive and when extracted dumps the game or app onto the 3DS home menu.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,
Reactions: Vincent Vicious

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
A CIA file is basically an installation package. It could be a game, a specific part of the firmware, an emulator or homebrew, or even game DLC or updates.

This .wad on Wii, .deb on iOS or debian linux, or .apk on android.

Vincent Vicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
A CIA file is basically an installation package. It could be a game, a specific part of the firmware, an emulator or homebrew, or even game DLC or updates.

This .wad on Wii, .deb on iOS or debian linux, or .apk on android.
i think its .ipa on ios lol but thanks for examples made it much easier to understand.

Vincent Vicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Yup yup. :) Anyways, I'm just now reviewing the thread here. What exactly is the issues about .CIA? I'm not understanding what's going on in here about IOS.
Well, im just new to this kind of stuff and i see many videos and threads about CIAs i did search it on google i just couldnt find a noob-friendly defintion, thats why i asked here :) IOS's IPA has nothing to do with it, it was just an example Heran Bago gave me to help me understand CIA.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, im just new to this kind of stuff and i see many videos and threads about CIAs i did search it on google i just couldnt find a noob-friendly defintion, thats why i asked here :) IOS's IPA has nothing to do with it, it was just an example Heran Bago gave me to help me understand CIA.
If you're familiar with the Wii: The file extension .CIA is the same as .WAD for the Wii; only for the 3DS.
It's an install-able application or plugin.

Reactions: NoNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended